Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I've had my MG10XU for a little over a year now, and ever since I bought it (bought it new), it gets really hot, especially by the XLR inputs. I was recording earlier this afternoon, and noticed it was about as hot as my M1 MacBook Air when rendering in Blender for 20 minutes straight. Currently, I have 3 mics plugged in via XLR, all are condensers, so Phantom power is on. Obviously it has no fan, etc. so it just runs hot continuously.

I've got FX running as well as 3 condensers plugged in, so maybe that's why... I'm not as concerned as I am curious as to why this is happening. Any ideas?

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
Anytime heat is generated it is due how much resistance is in the circuit. Since you are phantom powering 3 condenser mics, they present a load (resistance) on your power supply which is getting hot. Unplug the mics and I am sure the heat will diminish.

Reactions: MajorFubar and rm5

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
What are you recording which requires three condenser mic's at once? Just wondering if there are opportunities for better efficiencies here by recording some things separately or maybe using dynamics.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I have a stereo pair on an upright piano plus a "vocal mic." I guess I can unplug the "vocal mic" while I'm not using it...

Reactions: MajorFubar

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Maybe it's just the way it works and there's nothing to worry about. You could easily argue if it's going to die a death because you've plugged three condenser mic's in at once then it shouldn't let you plug in three condenser mic's at once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.