Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
THey really need something new with Starcraft. It would create such a big buzz. OMGZ!! NEW STARCRAFT!!! :eek:

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
You guys realize this is a April Fool's day joke right?

I think most of us do... ;) Would be nice to get another RTS from Blizzard, but would be even nicer if it was something really groundbreaking. I'm wondering if the reason we haven't got a new RTS is if they're not sure how to make something that will be better than WC3 and SC.

My thought is that they will do a semi-MMORTS in the StarCraft universe. No monthly fee, and not a huge persistent world exactly, but you will have an army that stays with your online account. You keep resources from round to round, Heroes (like in WC3) level and gain abilities, the tech that is available to you in a game is based on knowledge associated with an Avatar/Hero. Certain units that are buildings can be bought and brought into games, then set up for use on that map. Destroying them destroys them permanently, but they can be setup faster than a similar building can be built otherwise.

Perhaps a set of semi-hero's that are based on standard units but upgraded and savable between rounds, as well. Huge battles of not just 4, 6, or 8 armies, but battles of 32 and more players/armies. Guilds/teams that are out to conquer more and more space by attacking other teams for it. Some sort of system where team leaders can lay siege to an area owned by another team, and then have some sort of scheduler to determine the day/time of the battle for the contested land, etc (maybe the defender picks 4 or 5 time slots in the next 3 or 4 days, and the attacker picks the one they want). Instant battles between currently online players in different guilds (or unaligned players) fpr XP and resources, but not territory, etc.

I'd enjoy that, personally. RTS games are tons of fun, but even more fun when they are multiplayer team based and NOT overly reliant on micromanaging a billion units, locations, and structures. If anyone has ever played the table top miniature game Necromunda, that's kinda sorta the game I'm basing this idea on.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
You guys realize this is a April Fool's day joke right?

You do realize you look like a bigger fool pointing that out than someone who would actually believe that story?

Some people!

I thought it was really nice and a reminder to WoW users where Warcraft comes from and where Warcraft belongs (the strategy genre).

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
You do realize you look like a bigger fool pointing that out than someone who would actually believe that story?

Some people!

I thought it was really nice and a reminder to WoW users where Warcraft comes from and where Warcraft belongs (the strategy genre).

:D

I kind of believed it for a bit.... till I noticed what the day was and how fantastic the writing was. Waaay too much sarcasm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.