Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guerrerox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2018
Madrid
I used to jailbreak my iphone back in 2011 & 2012. I used it mainly for the SBSettings, Activator, Winterboard and Springtomizer. I liked to play with the aspect of the phone. And I used a Cydia app called CarbonXHD to change the theme once.

Noooow here's the thing. I stopped jailbraking the iphone looong ago. But, no jailbreak in place, 4 ios's (or more) and 3 different iPhones later, the CarbonXHD app keeps following me, like a ghost, re-appearing eeeevery time I restart my phone:

I cant open it of course. That's because the app is not install, its just the icon of the app, I know that. Oddly when I click on it, it tries to open a webpage, "carbonx.me/?sb=2", that doesn't exist. But anyhow, it doesn't matter how many times I delete it the icon, how many times I restore the phone, or reinstall a backup into a new phone, the iphone keeps creating the app icon when it restarts.

I know I could jailbreak the phone again and get deep inside the ios to find the file (and icon image) that keeps remembering CarbonXHD, passing it copy after copy, phone after phone. But:

Is there a way to fix this without jailbreaking the phone again?

Attachments

• IMG_6595.PNG
    IMG_6595.PNG
    891.4 KB · Views: 607

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks Sital for the reply! I was hoping to avoid that, but there could be another way... isn't there?
No. It's either restore as new or live with it. The problem is stored in your backup and as you move it forward with each iDevice, it migrates.

I have two such apps because they were installed as part of a repo's icons at one point. Every time I delete them they reappear, even when stock.

I've tossed them into a folder on a springboard page I rarely use and try to forget about them.

Reactions: guerrerox

guerrerox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2018
Madrid
No. It's either restore as new or live with it. The problem is stored in your backup and as you move it forward with each iDevice, it migrates.

I have two such apps because they were installed as part of a repo's icons at one point. Every time I delete them they reappear, even when stock.

I've tossed them into a folder on a springboard page I rarely use and try to forget about them.

Thanks eyoungren for your respond. I guess I'll have to do one of those 2 things! :)

Reactions: eyoungren

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Constantly restoring from back up over and over again across devices isn’t great anyway. I can assure you that you have transferred a lot more garbage between your devices that just that over time.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Constantly restoring from back up over and over again across devices isn’t great anyway. I can assure you that you have transferred a lot more garbage between your devices that just that over time.
If you are speaking to me all I can say is that I am using the same 'profile' that I've used since Christmas 2011. It's survived from a 3GS to a 5 to a 6+ and has been stable on 9.0.2 since September 2015. It's been branched to an iPad Air 2 and an iPhone 4s and has remained on my iPhone 5.

Best practice has always been to restore as new with each jailbreak then reinstall everything, but while that is the ideal I've never gone that route.

But neither have I ever chosen the upgrade over my jailbreak route either.

I have always done a backup, a DFU Restore as new, jailbroken and then restored from my backup. While I don't deny that this could still bite me, I have yet to encounter any issues other than these two apps that refuse to delete.

I've been stable on my 9.0.2 jailbreak for over two years.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
If you are speaking to me all I can say is that I am using the same 'profile' that I've used since Christmas 2011. It's survived from a 3GS to a 5 to a 6+ and has been stable on 9.0.2 since September 2015. It's been branched to an iPad Air 2 and an iPhone 4s and has remained on my iPhone 5.

Best practice has always been to restore as new with each jailbreak then reinstall everything, but while that is the ideal I've never gone that route.

But neither have I ever chosen the upgrade over my jailbreak route either.

I have always done a backup, a DFU Restore as new, jailbroken and then restored from my backup. While I don't deny that this could still bite me, I have yet to encounter any issues other than these two apps that refuse to delete.

I've been stable on my 9.0.2 jailbreak for over two years.
I was replying to the op. Obviously it can work fine but bugs and junk can come along and eventually affect you. Not a great idea to only ever use that and never start as new, especially since you can sync most data back anyway.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I was replying to the op. Obviously it can work fine but bugs and junk can come along and eventually affect you. Not a great idea to only ever use that and never start as new, especially since you can sync most data back anyway.
I don't disagree. It's just a risk I've been willing to take over the years.

PS. Resyncing for me is generally a PITA, just by all the stuff I have (I tend to lose custom ringtones in the process) and the fact that only one computer in the house is capable of syncing to my phones.

That leaves using the MacPro at work which is not accessible between 5pm and 7am during the week and on weekends.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
I used to jailbreak my iphone back in 2011 & 2012. I used it mainly for the SBSettings, Activator, Winterboard and Springtomizer. I liked to play with the aspect of the phone. And I used a Cydia app called CarbonXHD to change the theme once.

Noooow here's the thing. I stopped jailbraking the iphone looong ago. But, no jailbreak in place, 4 ios's (or more) and 3 different iPhones later, the CarbonXHD app keeps following me, like a ghost, re-appearing eeeevery time I restart my phone:

I cant open it of course. That's because the app is not install, its just the icon of the app, I know that. Oddly when I click on it, it tries to open a webpage, "carbonx.me/?sb=2", that doesn't exist. But anyhow, it doesn't matter how many times I delete it the icon, how many times I restore the phone, or reinstall a backup into a new phone, the iphone keeps creating the app icon when it restarts.

I know I could jailbreak the phone again and get deep inside the ios to find the file (and icon image) that keeps remembering CarbonXHD, passing it copy after copy, phone after phone. But:

Is there a way to fix this without jailbreaking the phone again?

Out of curiosity, have you tried going into iCleaner Pro and looking at the preference files to see if that app is in there? If so you can delete the files from there. Just a thought

Last edited:

guerrerox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2018
Madrid
Out of curiosity, have you tried going into iCleaner Pro and looking at the preference files to see if that app is in there? If so you can delete the files from there. Just a thought

Hi!! Thanks all for the replies! It seems I dont get notified when someone replies, sorry for the delay.

About using iCleaner Pro it would be a good idea but I dont JB the phone anymore and I think its a Cydia app. I dont think there is any AppStore app that could do the job if the phone is not JB, so... I guess I'll have to start as new if I want to avoid the issue :)

Thanks everyone for the responses, they helped a lot!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I dont think there is any AppStore app that could do the job if the phone is not JB, so... I guess I'll have to start as new if I want to avoid the issue :)
There was an app I originally downloaded on iOS 6. It was advertised as being able to clean up junk. For whatever reason it was renamed and renamed again but eventually was removed from the app store. Because I downloaded it so long ago I've been able to redownload it to every iPhone since.

It works by filling up the cache and therefore forcing it to wipe and renew. I use it whenever I have an issue iCleaner Pro won't resolve.

There may be other apps like that in the app store, but I wouldn't know.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Hi!! Thanks all for the replies! It seems I dont get notified when someone replies, sorry for the delay.

About using iCleaner Pro it would be a good idea but I dont JB the phone anymore and I think its a Cydia app. I dont think there is any AppStore app that could do the job if the phone is not JB, so... I guess I'll have to start as new if I want to avoid the issue :)

Thanks everyone for the responses, they helped a lot!
Oh that's right, it's a jail broken app. If it were me, I would set up as new. That would bug me to much

A4orce84

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
Hey guys,

Is there a way to permanently delete this app? Or do I still have to 'live' with it or restore manually to permanently get rid of it?

Thanks in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.