Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

valh001

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 2, 2021
I have both iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max, and the Pro is having overly yellow or warm white balance, it is especially noticeable at night or during the day looking at a white webpage or white icons, and with true tone one, it is basically really warm/yellow tinted white point.

Turning off the true tone helps somewhat, but comparing to my iPhone 11 Pro Max, it is still noticeably warmer.

The iPhone 13 Pro Max isn't as bad though, and it is close to the white balance color temperature of the iPhone 11 Pro Max, maybe a tad bit warmer with the true tone turned off

Basically with these iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max, I cannot use true tone feature anymore as it is too warm. Is this a common problem on the iPhone 13 series of phones?

I'm looking to maybe exchange it, but my local store has no stock for the 13 Pro and Apple website wait times is well into mid to late November

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I also put my 11 Pro max and 13 Pro Max side-by-side and the 13 PM looked "less white" than my 11 Pro Max.

You can see a post I made here

Reactions: LFC2020

valh001

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 2, 2021
I also put my 11 Pro max and 13 Pro Max side-by-side and the 13 PM looked "less white" than my 11 Pro Max.

You can see a post I made here
YES, thats exactly what mine looked like, maybe a tad bit more yellower on my 13 Pro screen. But with true tone turned on, the 13 Pro screen turns to extremely bad in overly warm white balance, which is unacceptable as I cannot use true tone, a feature that apple advetised and we paid for...

With true tone on, the yellowing white balance is almost the same as the iPhone 11 PM with night shift turned on with 40% or so...

Overall, it seems the algorithms Apple is using for true tone is not changed to adjust for the crappy white balance of these OLED panels in the iPhone 13 series

valh001

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 2, 2021
Here comes the yellow tint iPhone 13 pros threads ? mine is also a tad warm with a red tint, typical oled tech garbage. ?‍♂️
I had to create one, consumers have to raise their voice to be heard, especially since Apple haven't fixed this mass spread of yellow tint and warm white balance issues since iPhone 12.

Honestly, I prefer the mini LED display on my M1 iPad Pro. The color balance is perfect, similar to Apples LCD devices (ala iPhone 11/XR, iMac 5K etc) but with the added benefits of mini LED such as the extremely brightness and the almost OLED levels of contrast. I mean these displays aren't perfect, well nothing is perfect, two minor issues with my iPad Pro mini LED is the ever so slight blooming when viewing HDR in a dark room and the slightly dimmed edges due to the lack of overlapping mini LED arrays near the dimming zones along the edge of the display. Both issues are easily forgotten in my case as they are extremely minor and I tend to get used to it and forget it's even there

T he whole screen having overly warm white balance however, it is hard to forget it as you see the thing everyday.

It should even be hard to fix, all Apple need to do is to give us a new display profile or calibration table and can be pushed by software update, similar to the CIE display profiles on your Windows or MacOS computers, and yes, these color profiles are actually software based calibration. I do not believe iOS and iPadOS currently support software based color calibration

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I had to create one, consumers have to raise their voice to be heard, especially since Apple haven't fixed this mass spread of yellow tint and warm white balance issues since iPhone 12
Agree, but we aren’t getting anywhere, we had the same crap OLED panels last year, guarantee you apple has seen these threads, yet nothing was done about it.

I also prefer my mini led iPad screen over this rubbish.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Agree, but we aren’t getting anywhere, we had the same crap OLED panels last year, guarantee you apple has seen these threads, yet nothing was done about it.

I also prefer my mini led iPad screen over this rubbish.
Apple did create a new display engine this year which did help with the refresh rate on this years displays. They now refresh at 480Hz from what I have read. This is something at least. Personally, I don't really understand this obsession with OLED displays. They have pretty awful off-axis colors and they shift pretty bad off-axis. Just a stop gap until Apple can put min-LED displays in the iPhone.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Apple did create a new display engine this year which did help with the refresh rate on this years displays. They now refresh at 480Hz from what I have read. This is something at least. Personally, I don't really understand this obsession with OLED displays. They have pretty awful off-axis colors and they shift pretty bad off-axis. Just a stop gap until Apple can put min-LED displays in the iPhone.
Mini led can’t come soon enough, what about micro led?

I was just reading about micro-LED. Very expensive tech right now. But looks very promising, especially how energy efficient it is.
Apple is all about profit and saving money.
Cost is the biggest factor here. It’s going to be hard for Apple to implement it. Either the prices have to drop or Apple will end up charging a whopping price to the consumers.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Apple is all about profit and saving money.
Cost is the biggest factor here. It’s going to be hard for Apple to implement it. Either the prices have to drop or Apple will end up charging a whopping price to the consumers.
The micro-LED tech is still very new in the market place. 4K TVs using micro-LED cost $10,000+. Apple is probably going to use mini-LED and that will probably be first used on the Pro model phones, much ike OLED first used on iPhone.

valh001

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 2, 2021
Yeah, I'd love to get a microLED iPhone in the future, maybe iPhone 16? Fingerscrossed

dralsadi0010

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2021
i had 13 mini which one has yellow tint going towards the orange when i went to apple after insisting from them to replace it i got it replaced and the replaced has yellow tint this time its yellow which i think its better than previous one but it sucks that there demo is perfectly white when comparing at store. apple start to **** with consumer

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Helped a technically challenged friend setup his iPhone 13 Pro Max yesterday. Like me, he has an iPhone 11 Pro Max.

I compared, side-by-side, his new iPhone 13 Pro Max and his 11 Pro Max, and his 13 definitely had a reddish tint to it (very slight) and was not as white as the 11 Pro Max.

Similar results to what I posted earlier about my own experience.

• Sad
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.