Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foxton77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2020
Norwich, UK
Hi all,

New member - my first post here. :) I have already done pretty extensive searching for answers, both on this forum and elsewhere, so far with no resolution.

Setup:
Early 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-Core Xeon)
12GB 800MHz DDR2 RAM
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256 MB
Monitors: 2 x ACER X193W

My query:
Having run Snow Leopard off a 320Gig HDD (System files and apps only - storage of all other files is on another drive) on this machine for nine happy, trouble-free years, last week I accepted the inevitable and dragged myself into 2015 with a clean install of El Capitan 10.11.6 on a brand new SSD - a 240Gig Crucial BX500 mounted on an OWC Mercury Accelsior S PCIe card in slot 2 (to avoid the SATA II bottleneck of using a drive bay).

Everything with the installation has gone brilliantly. The new OS runs very well, as do all of my apps. I'm happy. However...

Before I installed the new OS, I timed a "cold start" boot of Snow Leopard from its old spinny HDD. From pressing the power button to seeing the login screen was 36 seconds.

Now, booting from cold into El Capitan off its spanky new SSD takes a mere... 30 seconds.

UH??

Both OSes have just the one little item (XMenu) in the Login items folder and as far as I know, all other settings are the same. So what gives? I was expecting the boot time to be a heck of a lot shorter than this.

In the attached PDF file, some data FYI. After booting up this morning, I copied the Boot Log info out of Console. As usual there's an awful lot of it. I've trawled through it looking for obvious moments where it "hangs". I found two.

The first one is a 5 second pause here:

07/02/2020 08:49:24.140 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.TrustEvaluationAgent) This key does not do anything: OnDemand
07/02/2020 08:49:29.134 WindowServer[155]: Session 257 retained (2 references)

Then there's a whacking 11-second pause here:

07/02/2020 08:49:33.000 kernel[0]: hfs: unmount initiated on Recovery HD on device disk2s3
07/02/2020 08:49:44.406 SecurityAgent[216]: User info context values set for kenc

"disk2s3" is the recovery partition on the SSD.

I'm not experienced enough to know if there's anything anomalous going on. I'd be very grateful if any of you guys could cast an eye over the boot log and tell me what you think.

Thanking you in advance...
Ken

(NOTE: The log may go on a bit beyond the end of the boot process - I'm not sure: I couldn't see an obvious end point)

Attachments

• El Capitan Boot Log.pdf
    58.5 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.