Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 16, 2015
For some complicated reasons, I had to use a cheap Android phone for a period instead of my old iPhone XS Max. Initial impression was not too bad (that Android phone is like 100 USD). It runs Android Go, a lightweight version of Android with some features disabled for better performance on low end hardware. However, there are multiple issues when using that phone.
1. Camera is awful. It's so bad, it reminds me of PXL-2000 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PXL2000). The sensor just can't deal with lighting properly. Even with proper lighting the image result is still bad (washed out and no detail).
2. Slow. To put that in perspective, iPhone XS Max has 10x single core score and 6x multi core score on Geekbench 5 compared to that Android phone. While running lightweight app is ok, I can clearly feel the lag all over the place.
3. Issue with phone call. I have never seen a single phone unable to handle multiple people calling in. Instead of putting the other one on hold, it cuts of current phone call. Sometimes multiple times, frustrating both me and the other side.
There are other smaller issues I don't want to mention here. But overall, the experience is pretty bad.

After getting back to use my iPhone XS Max, I fully understand why lots of people want to buy an iPhone. Software, while not great in some areas, still can provide good experience overall, with good feature built-in (imaging paying money to markup images). To me, people nowadays don't even need to chase after the latest and greatest, unless camera is an absolute dealbreaker. Yes, iPhone is still expensive compared to many Android devices, but I reckon even iPhone 8/X is good for most people assuming you don't mind missing out software features (and maybe security updates). I think iPhone still offers the best package of hardware and software available in the market, with android manufacturers trying to do the same.

You really get what you paid for.

PS: I am looking into upgrading to iPhone 14 Pro Max but haven't decided yet.

lleial

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2020
SPAIN
I have to agree with you on this. I went through a similar experience as you mention: between my iPhone 5C and my iPhone 7 I had to purchase a cheap android phone for a short period of time. The thing is that, while costing a third of what an iPhone would have cost (back then), it clearly wasn't 1/3 of the quality or features.

Shortly after purchase, the 3.5mm audio jack suddenly stopped working, and back then the company who built and sold these phones didn't have a store near me. They offered me to send it in, get it repaired (under warranty), however, the whole process would take over a month. I gave up on that.

After, the GPS started acting up, we're talking so bad that it would always get me lost.

Next horrible thing was the camera. It was so bad that on a trip I had to take my old-ass 3rd gen iPad with me to take photos and videos. I even ended up using it as the GPS. Comes out to be that the worst iPad Apple had ever build was 1000x better than this android phone. Needless to say battery was a disaster and so was the rest.

But the worst was the OS, I had stock android which was hideous. For everything it was a matter of granting permissions, and if you didn't (e.g. camera, access to files, mic, etc.), the app would just close!

I know many criticized me saying "You only tested a cheap android phone", "You would've gotten a better experience with a flagship Samsung" But the main issue here was ANDROID. I'm very sure that on a flagship Samsung device, the Camera would've been top-notch, the GPS wouldn't fail and the screen would've looked superb... but in the end I was still left with Android.

Android is a total pain in the butt. I couldn't get over the need to have a third-party APP for everything. You wanted your calendar synced with your computer? The Stock App wouldn't work, you either needed Google Calendar or Outlook. Wanted to quickly send files to your computer? Forget about it, you needed apps such as Dropbox, one drive, Google Drive, the usb-cable or removing the micro-sd card, etc. The worst part is that each and everyone of these need their own account (user, password, email, cookies), their app on both cell & computer, being subject to the inherent limitations of each, and so on.

It didn't take me much to get back on iOS, which as you said, may not be perfect, but you definitely are getting the bang for your buck.

P.S. This year I'm retiring my iPhone 7 and getting the IP14 PM. It has served me well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeven Stobs

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Of course a Ferrari is better than a honda civic! Pay more and get more, however, a civic is good enough for most people.
While I agree in general, other than raw performance (and beautiful lines) the Ferrari does the same as a civic, shuttle people. Consumer electronics devices have new capabilities over time. Consider phones, advanced use of AI, night sight, etc. maybe all some need is to check Facebook and email, then a phone upgrade is less appealing.

Reactions: asdex

faraine

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2018
So you are comparing a phone to another one that costs 10 times more... One that is running Android Go without all the Android functionalities so it won't lag.
I don't see the point of this post... I would if you were comparing with a Samsung S9, they were both released in the same year.

theriddler

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2011
UK
My Pixel 4A with 6GB RAM lagged. It registered my repeated taps over the lag duration (2 mins) as a rapid sequence to trigger an emergency call to 999. Google may have better camera AI but the camera was so bad. The detail and colour reproduction in low-light was way better on videos taken by iPhones at a similar vantage point at a concert I attended.

The only time my iPhone SE1 lagged was loading DuoLingo Plus.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You really get what you paid for.
You don't need to convince me.

I'm the person that goes and buys the largest phone Apple has in the highest capacity. My current iPhone is the 11 Pro Max, 512GB.

No, I don't need all that. That isn't the point. What is the point is that it's what I want. So I pay for it.

I value the plan I have with my carrier far more than I value promotions. I want to keep my current plan. So, combine what I want with wanting to keep my current plan and I pay.

But I also don't upgrade every year (every 2.5 to 4.5 years). And, starting in 2021 I'm now upgrading to the model before the current one. So, at least I save a little on an older model.

Reactions: lleial

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
I don’t disagree with you at all, yes, you generally do get what you pay for. But, you’re comparing a flagship phone to what sounds like an entry level at best phone. Had it have been a flagship android phone, I don’t think you’d have been as disappointed as you were.

My sister in law just got the biggest, baddest, newest, Samsung (I honestly have no idea what it’s called) and it’s really not bad at all. Screen was beautiful, camera was pretty darn good and it seemed really quick too. It was a really nice phone.

I just can’t ever see myself going back to android. With the exception of our work and school computers, we’re an Apple family. Definitely prefer the Apple ecosystem to android.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 16, 2015
I don’t disagree with you at all, yes, you generally do get what you pay for. But, you’re comparing a flagship phone to what sounds like an entry level at best phone. Had it have been a flagship android phone, I don’t think you’d have been as disappointed as you were.

My sister in law just got the biggest, baddest, newest, Samsung (I honestly have no idea what it’s called) and it’s really not bad at all. Screen was beautiful, camera was pretty darn good and it seemed really quick too. It was a really nice phone.

I just can’t ever see myself going back to android. With the exception of our work and school computers, we’re an Apple family. Definitely prefer the Apple ecosystem to android.
But you also have to keep in mind, that the basic android phone I use is released in 2021 while iPhone XS Max is released in 2018, so 3 years apart. Nowadays nobody would call iPhone XS Max a "flagship phone" in 2022 I assume? Even so, a 4 year old flagship beating 1 year old basic android phone simply shows most iPhone models hold up their performance surprisingly well for daily tasks and moderate use (excluding heavy gaming) for a very long time. What's beautiful about it, is you don't have to spend $1.5k to get iPhone 14 Pro Max for the so-called "experience", instead, only a couple hundred dollars and you might be fine for quite a while, depending on the needs.

Sure, if I shell out enough money to get flagship android device, my android experience will be totally different than what I have now from that cheap phone (and dare I say much better), but that's not my main focus here.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
But you also have to keep in mind, that the basic android phone I use is released in 2021 while iPhone XS Max is released in 2018, so 3 years apart. Nowadays nobody would call iPhone XS Max a "flagship phone" in 2022 I assume? Even so, a 4 year old flagship beating 1 year old basic android phone simply shows most iPhone models hold up their performance surprisingly well for daily tasks and moderate use (excluding heavy gaming) for a very long time. What's beautiful about it, is you don't have to spend $1.5k to get iPhone 14 Pro Max for the so-called "experience", instead, only a couple hundred dollars and you might be fine for quite a while, depending on the needs.

Sure, if I shell out enough money to get flagship android device, my android experience will be totally different than what I have now from that cheap phone (and dare I say much better), but that's not my main focus here.

What is point to compare old Flagship phone to a basic Android phone? Even iPhone XS will be cost more than basic Andriod phones.. .

Heck, I can pick up an Google Pixel 2XL for less than $100 dollars and slap Google Experience ROM.. And you get OLED, good enough camera and good enough performance....

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey

Your XS Max is definitely a flagship phone, not the current flagship, but it still is a flagship phone nonetheless. iPhones are known for being faster and more responsive than androids. Even older iPhones. Entry level android phones are trash. Doesn’t matter what year they were made.

Reactions: iHeartsteve

faraine

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2018

As I said on my post, if you want to be fair compare it to the Samsung S9, both flagships from the same year.

Even if the phone was released in 2021 it's still a entry level phone. I bet if you compare the Samsung S9 to the same entry level phone the S9 would be a lot faster.

It's like saying that a Ford Fiesta from 2021 should be a better than the top of the line mercedes from 2015. It isn't!

Reactions: DevinNj

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
OP, you cannot be serious.

Compare your XS Max to a Galaxy S9 (both from 2018) and then you'll reach a fairer conclusion.

You're comparing stuff that doesn't make any sense, a XS Max is not a budget phone. Even an iPhone 5 from 2012 would destroy that Android phone.

Reactions: DevinNj

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Your XS Max is definitely a flagship phone, not the current flagship, but it still is a flagship phone nonetheless. iPhones are known for being faster and more responsive than androids. Even older iPhones. Entry level android phones are trash. Doesn’t matter what year they were made.

As I said on my post, if you want to be fair compare it to the Samsung S9, both flagships from the same year.

Even if the phone was released in 2021 it's still a entry level phone. I bet if you compare the Samsung S9 to the same entry level phone the S9 would be a lot faster.

It's like saying that a Ford Fiesta from 2021 should be a better than the top of the line mercedes from 2015. It isn't!

OP, you cannot be serious.

Compare your XS Max to a Galaxy S9 (both from 2018) and then you'll reach a fairer conclusion.

You're comparing stuff that doesn't make any sense, a XS Max is not a budget phone. Even an iPhone 5 from 2012 would destroy that Android phone.
Seeing these, I couldn't believe my post which was more or less a blast on how different price point devices behave and how far we are going, turns into criticizing how I should not compare an old flagship phone with newer budget phone. There are many different ways to compare both stuff, and it doesn't have to be a strict one-on-one comparison with equal footing. I got that android phone knowing very well the performance won't be as good as iPhone XS Max, and was actually surprised on how decent android go run on that thing out of factory. It's just sad for me to see that budget newer phone experience is very bad compared to iPhone XS Max, which did cost 3x more according to used market price, but deliver much better performance overall.

If anything, my "comparison" I'd argue is closer to impression and experience comparison over a more serious "which 2018 flagship is better" type, indicating spending a little bit more on old flagship sometimes can provide better experience than brand new budget stuff.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Seeing these, I couldn't believe my post which was more or less a blast on how different price point devices behave and how far we are going, turns into criticizing how I should not compare an old flagship phone with newer budget phone. There are many different ways to compare both stuff, and it doesn't have to be a strict one-on-one comparison with equal footing. I got that android phone knowing very well the performance won't be as good as iPhone XS Max, and was actually surprised on how decent android go run on that thing out of factory. It's just sad for me to see that budget newer phone experience is very bad compared to iPhone XS Max, which did cost 3x more according to used market price, but deliver much better performance overall.

If anything, my "comparison" I'd argue is closer to impression and experience comparison over a more serious "which 2018 flagship is better" type, indicating spending a little bit more on old flagship sometimes can provide better experience than brand new budget stuff.
First off, I didn’t criticize you for making a comparison between iPhone and your android phone. My point being you are used to a top-tier phone on one platform. Then you were using an entry-level phone of another platform. You’re definitely going to see big differences. The entry-level android phones are the equivalent of those disposable cameras they used to make (or maybe still do, not sure, lol). They’re just not a great experience. Especially if you’re into tech. I’m not at all surprised that you weren’t impressed with it.

In my initial reply to you, I told you how I used my sister-in-law‘s Samsung and man that was a beautiful phone! Its what is use if I went to android. It’s a shame that your the most recent android experience was with a crappy phone and not a better model. I’m sure you would’ve enjoyed it better. No disrespect to you, it’s all good 👍

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Hey @ARizz44. This never ceases to amaze me. I like apple. I don't mind paying their premium prices for good working tech.
I’m with ya brother. Hell I would pay $2500 happily for a modern flagship that doesn’t bother my eyes and give me a headache. The ecosystem is nice and all, but it’s more about the apple products individually for me. They work well for my needs.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 16, 2015
First off, I didn’t criticize you for making a comparison between iPhone and your android phone. My point being you are used to a top-tier phone on one platform. Then you were using an entry-level phone of another platform. You’re definitely going to see big differences. The entry-level android phones are the equivalent of those disposable cameras they used to make (or maybe still do, not sure, lol). They’re just not a great experience. Especially if you’re into tech. I’m not at all surprised that you weren’t impressed with it.

In my initial reply to you, I told you how I used my sister-in-law‘s Samsung and man that was a beautiful phone! Its what is use if I went to android. It’s a shame that your the most recent android experience was with a crappy phone and not a better model. I’m sure you would’ve enjoyed it better. No disrespect to you, it’s all good 👍
First of all. Thanks.

I'd like to reiterate, this whole bottom of the line entry Android phone experience is brand new to me (I used to use some mid-range android phones briefly in the past but software was the weak point, not the hardware). While I don't expect a good performance, what I find surprising is how decent the experience can be if your need is extremely basic (phone call - which sadly this model did a terrible job at smh, text, personal hotspot, light-weight apps, play music - it can even decode 24bit 96khz hi-res music without drop).

The built-in fingerprint sensor isn't bad either. I'd say it's almost as good as iPhone 6. The build quality is not too bad too - feels rugged but can provide tight grip and plastic body almost feel premium when taking out. Needless to say, even extreme budget brand new device comes a long way since 2007, unfortunately this one cuts out corners too much on camera and SoC.

I am sure if I had the chance to experience top of the line Android devices, my opinion would be totally different. Maybe next time when I am actually using one. For now, I just stick with iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.