Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac23456

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2021
Uh, no, it's not. Chromium Legacy (!) is based on the mainline branch of Chromium, the same code base behind Google Chrome, the most popular browser in the world.
View attachment 1742748

Well, at the time OP made this thread, Chromium Legacy didn't work on Mavericks. ;)

The developer and I worked together to fix it. There was an evil use-after-free bug.
Do you have a link for that? It looks like the latest version ... running on a rather old OS.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Do you have a link for that? It looks like the latest version ... running on a rather old OS.

Because there's no auto-updater, I like to use the Preference Pane I made instead of downloading from Github:

https://jonathanalland.com/downloads/chromium-legacy-downloader.zip

Last edited:
Reactions: Snowlover

Pouncy Sparta

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2021
Does anyone know how to get access to update from Yosemite to - anything higher? The download isn't available - I know the newest direct upgrade possible is Sierra. There is no download available from the app store for Sierra.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Does anyone know how to get access to update from Yosemite to - anything higher? The download isn't available - I know the newest direct upgrade possible is Sierra. There is no download available from the app store for Sierra.
did you search using Safari. ?

I couldn't find it but then came across mention in here somewhere about OSX not appearing unless using safari. Tried it and it worked.

Pouncy Sparta

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2021
did you search using Safari. ?

I couldn't find it but then came across mention in here somewhere about OSX not appearing unless using safari. Tried it and it worked.
Yeah - it links to the app store but there is no file to download. I'm trying to get ANY upgrade from Yoemite - and go as recent as possible. I know you can skip from Yosemite to Sierra - I'm just trying to find an upgrade download since Apple broke the app store to force upgrades. I had to upgrade from Mojave to Big Sur on another machine which broke TWENTY EIGHT of my apps - but that's a different problem. The iMac with Yosemite is a 2011 with 16 gb ram and 1tb HD ... and I don't want it to get bricked.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Just tried it and got this:

Download macOS​

It takes time to download and install macOS, so make sure that you're plugged into AC power and have a reliable internet connection.
Safari uses these links to find the old installers in the App Store. After downloading from the App Store, the installer opens automatically.
Safari downloads the following older installers as a disk image named InstallOS.dmg or InstallMacOSX.dmg. Open the disk image, then open the .pkg installer inside the disk image. It installs an app named Install [Version Name]. Open that app from your Applications folder to begin installing the operating system.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Just tried it and got this:
Yeah, unfortunately that ends at 10.10, no Mavericks.

Some people over in the Early Intel Macs section have recommended this from the Internet Archive, although I have not used it. https://archive.org/details/install-os-x-mavericks.app

I also have a DMG of Mavericks I can send to anyone who PMs or emails me. I made it in a particular way, by running CreateInstallMedia and targeting a virtual disk instead of a real one, and it's what I personally use when I need to do a reinstall.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Yeah, unfortunately that ends at 10.10, no Mavericks.

Some people over in the Early Intel Macs section have recommended this from the Internet Archive, although I have not used it. https://archive.org/details/install-os-x-mavericks.app

I also have a DMG of Mavericks I can send to anyone who PMs or emails me. I made it in a particular way, by running CreateInstallMedia and targeting a virtual disk instead of a real one, and it's what I personally use when I need to do a reinstall.
oops - silly me. Memory got muddled between installs of 10.13 and 10.9 on two different iMacs.
Id recently installed 10.9 on an unsupported iMac (late 2006 17 inch imac 5,1) using MaxPostFactor (..and not from the app store.)

mac23456

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2021
To clarify, I don't think Chrome/ium is available for 10.6?

Not the latest version. However, I happened to come across a post (not here) yesterday with a fully working browser (at least the OP said so) called Arctic Fox. I haven't tested it yet, but maybe you should.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
..find it odd its not mentioned here:

Browsers by Mac operating system​

1.5.1 Big Sur - Safari, Edge, Brave, Chrome, Firefox, Waterfox (Intel only), iCab

10.15.7 Catalina - Safari, Edge, Brave, Chrome, Opera, Firefox, Waterfox, iCab

10.14.6 Mojave - Safari, Edge, Brave, Chrome, Opera, Firefox, Waterfox, iCab

10.13.6 High Sierra - Edge, Brave, Chrome, Opera, Firefox, Waterfox, iCab

10.12.6 Sierra - Omniweb, Edge, Brave, Chrome, Opera, Firefox, Waterfox, iCab

10.11.6 El Capitan - Omniweb, Brave, Chrome, Opera, Firefox (July 2021 last Security update), Waterfox, iCab

10.10.5 Yosemite - Omniweb, Firefox (July 2021 last Security update), Waterfox, iCab

10.9.5 Mavericks - Omniweb, Firefox (July 2021 last Security update), Waterfox, iCab

10.8.5 Mountain Lion - Omniweb, Arctic Fox, Waterfox, iCab, Spiderweb, Snow Monkey (10.8.3 is minimum for Java 8)

10.7.5 Lion - Omniweb, Arctic Fox, Waterfox, iCab, Spiderweb, Snow Monkey (10.7.3 is minimum for Java 7)

10.4 Tiger, 10.5 Leopard, 10.6.8 Snow Leopard - Omniweb, iCab, Tenfourfox, Spiderweb, Snow Monkey

10.3 - 10.3.9 Classila, iCab, Tenfourfox

10.2.8 and earlier, Classila and iCab.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
..find it odd its not mentioned here:

Browsers by Mac operating system​

1.5.1 Big Sur - Safari, Edge, Brave, Chrome, Firefox, Waterfox (Intel only), iCab

10.15.7 Catalina - Safari, Edge, Brave, Chrome, Opera, Firefox, Waterfox, iCab

10.14.6 Mojave - Safari, Edge, Brave, Chrome, Opera, Firefox, Waterfox, iCab

10.13.6 High Sierra - Edge, Brave, Chrome, Opera, Firefox, Waterfox, iCab

10.12.6 Sierra - Omniweb, Edge, Brave, Chrome, Opera, Firefox, Waterfox, iCab

10.11.6 El Capitan - Omniweb, Brave, Chrome, Opera, Firefox (July 2021 last Security update), Waterfox, iCab

10.10.5 Yosemite - Omniweb, Firefox (July 2021 last Security update), Waterfox, iCab

10.9.5 Mavericks - Omniweb, Firefox (July 2021 last Security update), Waterfox, iCab

10.8.5 Mountain Lion - Omniweb, Arctic Fox, Waterfox, iCab, Spiderweb, Snow Monkey (10.8.3 is minimum for Java 8)

10.7.5 Lion - Omniweb, Arctic Fox, Waterfox, iCab, Spiderweb, Snow Monkey (10.7.3 is minimum for Java 7)

10.4 Tiger, 10.5 Leopard, 10.6.8 Snow Leopard - Omniweb, iCab, Tenfourfox, Spiderweb, Snow Monkey

10.3 - 10.3.9 Classila, iCab, Tenfourfox

10.2.8 and earlier, Classila and iCab.
Of these, edge sucks and waterfox sucks plus chrome.. I wouldn't use them at all. they track.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
BIG DEAL.. I have SeaMonkey for PPC and it runs great on my PPC machines and I can goto wikipedia without ssl ISSUES. good to see Mavericks still supported.
ha - dont know why (stupidity I guess) didn't think about trying seamonkey on my ppc iBook.
..so wot version are you running..and does it handle youtube ok?

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
ha - dont know why (stupidity I guess) didn't think about trying seamonkey on my ppc iBook.
..so wot version are you running..and does it handle youtube ok?
Youtube on PPC ? I use WickNix TenFiveTube for that. Seamonkey with regular internet browsing works good on my PPC machines though.

Reactions: mortlocli

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
..just had an update for firefox esr - 78.14.0
"Version 78.14.0, first offered to ESR channel users on September 7, 2021"

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
@Rimmsi Yes, theoretically you should be able to. See also, https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/scored-3-2015-15-inch-intel-mbps.2363503/post-31583774, the iris pro of the 2015 15" rmbp is apparently same as 2014, so graphics acceleration should work, which was the main issue @Wowfunhappy ran into when trying this on a 2015 MBA. The force touch of course will not work, so you either use an external mouse or create your own shim kext. If you can verify the 2015-mbp boots mavericks using the procedure Wowfunhappy mentioned so the installer doesn't complain, and you're comfortable learning about kext development I can give you pointers on how to write the trackpad kext.

greystash

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2013
Postbox is what I've been using for mail on Mavericks. It works great and has many more features than Apple mail

RinkDinkus

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2022
Instagram: maxzeuner
Has anyone else run into issues with iTunes on 10.6.8-10.9.5? I’ve tried to keep within legacy iTunes (10.7 and 11.4) and they cannot connect my AppleID to iTunes when pulling purchases or finding album artwork—I just keep getting “Update to the latest version of iTunes” whenever I access something that requires my ID/password.

Are these old versions of iTunes on Mavs and earlier only good for offline use anymore? This is like the main thing keeping me on Mojave and from using my white MacBook on 10.7

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.