Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
Maybe i missed it, but have you reset SMC and PRAM ?

Remember when "Zap the Pram!" was the answer for everything?

iMac SMC and PRAM reset​

SMC RESET

• Shut down the computer.
  • Unplug the computer's power cord from both the wall and computer.
  • Wait 15 seconds.
  • Attach the computers power cable.
  • Wait another 5 seconds and press the power button to turn on the computer.

PRAM RESET

• Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  • Turn on the computer.
  • Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
  • Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  • Release the keys.

Reactions: Andrey84

jordii

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Maybe i missed it, but have you reset SMC and PRAM ?

iMac SMC and PRAM reset​

SMC RESET

• Unplug the computer's power cord from both the wall and computer.
  • Wait 15 seconds.
  • Attach the computers power cable.
  • Wait another 5 seconds and press the power button to turn on the computer.

PRAM RESET

• Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  • Turn on the computer.
  • Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
  • Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  • Release the keys.
SMC Reset was accomplished multiple times as I futzed with the modules
PRAM reset didn't help.

Reactions: Andrey84

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
Then show off your Firmware Version in the SystemReport :)

Maybe you missed an MacOS Version and a critical Firmware Update to be compatible with these type of Ram.
Had this several Times with Mac´s.

Btw.: what MacOS are u using ?

The Other successful Users of these Crucial Ram´s could also post it to be sure.
Btw. i use Crucial Rams in many Mac´s and Hacky´s with no Problems.

If that does not help there might be a Problem with at least one of these Ram Modules leading to this....

As far as i can see you have done anything normally needet, also SystemReport shows identical charge Number...

Difference to the posted working Modules is also yours are showing much shorter info strings so what MacOS are you using ?

Last edited:

jordii

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Then show off your Firmware Version in the SystemReport :)

Maybe you missed an MacOS Version and a critical Firmware Update to be compatible with these type of Ram.
Had this several Times with Mac´s.

Btw.: what MacOS are u using ?

The Other successful Users of these Crucial Ram´s could also post it to be sure.
Btw. i use Crucial Rams in many Mac´s and Hacky´s with no Problems.

If that does not help there might be a Problem with at least one of these Ram Modules leading to this....

As far as i can see you have done anything normally needet, also SystemReport shows identical charge Number...

Difference to the posted working Modules is also yours are showing much shorter info strings so what MacOS are you using ?
Firmware: 2020.80.3.0.0 (iBridge: 21.16.3030.5.2,0)
MacOS: 14.2.1

Note that Software Update has not been offering new firmware (though it's of course now pushing MacOS 14.3)

Hardware system report below
SCR-20240129-nmho.png

Last edited:

jordii

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Just updated to MacOS 14.3, system firmware 2020.80.5.0.1 (iBridge: 21.16.3049.0.0,0)
....and memory data looks exactly the same.

I removed/reinstalled modules, too. Not sure if that triggered re-testing, or if the Mac recognizes the serial numbers and trusts its prior conclusions....

Last edited:

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
The 2020 is a little turd when it comes to RAM. OWC branded RAM won't make a difference, this was how I ended up getting mine to run them at full speed:

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 1.53.27 PM.png

Apple sticks in slot 1/2, then the new sticks in 3/4.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

MacMore

Suspended
Jan 4, 2024
The 2020 is a little turd when it comes to RAM. OWC branded RAM won't make a difference, this was how I ended up getting mine to run them at full speed:

View attachment 2342696

I already stated that RAM has channels which people either gloss over or say its wrong.

With regard to underclocked RAM it is also a thing, which I forgot about as I don't build PCs anymore.

It can be a thing that the RAM is not rated for what it says it is on the side of the box, which is why people buy from premium Mac specific RAM manufacturers like OWC.

Which on that note, also for these machines use the correct type of RAM which is LDDR. Specifically, low density, half height RAM sticks.

Other brands of RAM may work, or they may be the wrong speed, or not fit at all.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area

View attachment 2342696

With this arrangement, 16GB will run in dual channel mode, and the remaining 24GB will run in single channel mode (which is effectively at half speed). This is known as "flex mode" per Intel. You cannot control which part of memory is being used by a particular process.
This is likely to result in slower overall memory speed than having all RAM running in dual channel mode but at 2133 MHz.

Reactions: gilby101

jordii

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
With this arrangement, 16GB will run in dual channel mode, and the remaining 24GB will run in single channel mode (which is effectively at half speed). This is known as "flex mode" per Intel. You cannot control which part of memory is being used by a particular process.
This is likely to result in slower overall memory speed than having all RAM running in dual channel mode but at 2133 MHz.
I can report that, as someone doing no rendering or compiling, 2133 MHz in dual mode is surely as fast as you probably need. I don’t feel any latency.

jordii

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Here's a more detailed report, in case it's of interest to anyone.

FWIW, an OWC tech confirms the weird zeroed-out data for manufacturer and part number, says it all looks ok.

SCR-20240201-oqyg.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.