Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

camhabib

macrumors regular
May 29, 2008
What the heck Netflix. Your the numbe one streaming app and you don't support iOS 9 hallmark iPad feature...get your **** together.
This really does baffle my mind, more so because the framework is already in place and all Netflix has to do is literally put in a few lines of code enabling it. It's been out for far too long for them to have any excuse not to support it.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I heard from Infuse's developer that if a video playing app does not use Apple's default built-in video player interface, they cannot support PiP as Apple currently doesn't provide a way for them to do so.

aesc80

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2015
Sometimes you just need to bitch...do I expect Netflix to see this? No, but sometimes I just want to share my frustrations and see if I am the only one.
If you want to be more proactive, you can actually send a message / complaint to Netflix directly. I know a couple of people at Netflix where they actually analyze complaints of just about anything and can sort them by how common they pop up. Enough demand for PiP in their system will get their mobile developers going on it.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
the real reason i think that netflix and sling tv do not enable picture in picture mode is because it causes you to watch it even more. thats what MLB TV App reported just last week

another reason might be Netflix doesn't support " other screen resolutions " ( har har lol ) something i learned trying to use quicktime to record my iPhone's screen with Netflix running back in iOS 8 beta

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
... which is?

There are a few
I use tubex but I remember protube being listed also

All options out there are mentioned here.

There are a few third party apps (ProTube,YouPlayer, Tubex) which do offer this Slide Over/Split View, Picture in Picture (PiP) and even have other great features (play audio in background, remove ads - ProTube only).CornerTube, Moldavite only offer Picture in Picture (PiP).

My favorite is definitely ProTube.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
All options out there are mentioned here.

There are a few third party apps (ProTube,YouPlayer, Tubex) which do offer this Slide Over/Split View, Picture in Picture (PiP) and even have other great features (play audio in background, remove ads - ProTube only).CornerTube, Moldavite only offer Picture in Picture (PiP).

My favorite is definitely ProTube.

Not 100% sure about ads although it seems there are none but you can definitely play audio only and in the background with Tubex

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.