Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Is Yonah cosnidered to be a dual core cpu similar to ibms dualcore G5 processors? Better or worse, high end or low end?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Have you considered using the search here? Or even on Google? There is a ton of information available on Yonah these days.

It is dual core. At 2.0Ghz it is more or less as fast as an Athlon 64-X2 at 2Ghz meaning it is probably around the same speed as a G5 clock for clock.

Yonah Performance

NYmacAttack

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2005
NY
zoran said:
but is it better/faster than the dual coreG5?

There is no real way to know how it will stack up against the G5 as it has not been released yet only engineering sample. Be patient and we will all see how it performs.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
zoran said:
but is it better/faster than the dual coreG5?

Apples and oranges, I will be happy with a *portable* PowerBook that is SMP and can actually come close to a clunky Powermac that guzzles electricity like a SUV does to gasoline...

Initial benchmarks do show the performance to be neck to neck.. I foresee the entire Powermac line going quad once these monsters start shipping.

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
I expect it to be somewhere inbetween the dual core G5 2ghz and 2.3ghz in performance. Powermac level performance.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Morn said:
I expect it to be somewhere inbetween the dual core G5 2ghz and 2.3ghz in performance. Powermac level performance.

That fast!? My god.... it's sounds just...so....incredible....

Gonna make my 1.2 GHz G4 look like a 386. Damn you Apple, I don't have anywhere near the money for a new system. I just hope 10.5 will run nicely on my machine when I bump it up to 1.25GB RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.