Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
I know it's a bit too early to start talking about it, but it got me thinking. As iOS and OS X are now a lot closer in terms of UI design, I was wondering if the new design in Yosemite will be a taste of things to come with Apple's mobile platform.

While Yosemite was redesigned to resemble the new iOS design language, it has a much more refined and polished look and feel to it.

- More consistent and better designed icons

- Not completely blinding white screens/apps

- Didn't replace clearly identifiable buttons with plain text

- Dark mode

That being said, I think OS X Yosemite is a step forward in the evolution of Jony Ive's UI designs and it looks a lot more promising and hopefully iOS 9 or 10 will implement it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It would have made much more sense to already have (some) things of that nature incorporated into iOS 8 as they were both being developed at the same time, rather than have a year gap or something like that.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
To me iOS was a start from scratch whereas OSX was more of a refinement. I wouldn't be surprised to see some OSX design come to iOS. Considering we heard rumors of employees being pulled off iOS to work on OSX they probably didn't have the time/resources to spend on iOS 8 UI (outside of new features).

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
I think OS X is a now just little step farther than iOS so if Yosemite is an indication of iOS 9 features, we might see that Dark Mode on iOS 9 and some other borrowed features from it.

vigilant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Nashville, TN
Theres going to be more and more similarities. I'd imagine that dark theme and etc are going to come at some point. But I think things like split screen applications are more likely to be the big center point of the new iOS.

soundslikeaudio

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014
I haven't used it yet, but there is a night mode in the included iBooks app in iOS 8. I haven't installed Yosemite yet, so I'm not sure if the dark mode of Yosemite and this night mode are related, but if someone has, maybe they can comment.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I think OS X is a now just little step farther than iOS so if Yosemite is an indication of iOS 9 features, we might see that Dark Mode on iOS 9 and some other borrowed features from it.

I'd love to see the automatic hotspot for iPads. Yes, Apple sells LTE iPads. But I sure as heck don't want to drop another $129 for the hardware and then $10 or more per month to connect that device when I can using my iPhone. Honestly that's not too big of a deal for me, but try explaining how to do that to Baby Boomers. The Yosemite way is much easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.