Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bk01eeh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2014
I started the Activity Monitor early today and I found that the kernel_task is now at 16GB sent and is now up to 18GB in 2 hours. I'm not running anything that should send this much data. I have received 182 MB since the start. What could be sending that much data?.........eugene

Last edited:

bk01eeh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2014
Yosemite

I will if you'll tell me app to use to take a screen shot........eugene

nobodyjustwalks

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2013
I will if you'll tell me app to use to take a screen shot........eugene

Itʻs built into OS X.

Command + Shift + 3 = Capture Fullscreen
Command + Shift + 4 = Capture any part of the screen with a selection box
Command + Shift + 4 + Spacebar = Capture Dock, Menu Bar Elements, Windows, and Desktops as a whole.

bk01eeh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2014
Okay. I did the first command "Capture Fullscreen" and decided that was to much, so I canceled. Then I did the second command "capture part" and that came up as Preview. So, how to get option 3 back to what it had the first time, or how do I put Preview into this message?.........eugene

nobodyjustwalks

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2013
Okay. I did the first command "Capture Fullscreen" and decided that was to much, so I canceled. Then I did the second command "capture part" and that came up as Preview. So, how to get option 3 back to what it had the first time, or how do I put Preview into this message?.........eugene

Not quite following what happened. You executed the second command and it came up as Preview? Command + Shift + 4 should turn your mouse arrow into a crosshair with three digit numbers next to the crosshair. Screenshot below.

As for placing an image into a forum post, you should see the Additional Options box below the Message Box. In there, thereʻs an option to Manage Attachments. It will take you to a screen which will allow you to upload images. Screenshot below.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    244.8 KB · Views: 167
  • 20130530_screenshotcrosshairs.jpg
    20130530_screenshotcrosshairs.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 157

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Do you have little snitch or any other animated icons in your menu bar? If so, that is causing some folks some high cpu levels.

bk01eeh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2014
I screen is in the Additional Options. Does it just show up? Here goes, and thanks........eugene

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 23.25.39 .png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 23.25.39 .png
    23.2 KB · Views: 169

bk01eeh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2014
Try again.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-31 at 04.40.01 .png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-31 at 04.40.01 .png
    38.9 KB · Views: 157

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Possible Time Machine backup. Even though you didn't touch anything. Time Machine still possible have few Gigabytes data have to backup.

You may open activity monitor when Time Machine is backing up the data to check if that numbers making sense or not.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I screen is in the Additional Options. Does it just show up? Here goes, and thanks........eugene

It might be totally unrelated, but that Intego security suite you have running there causes people no end of problems. You might try removing the entire package and see if that helps things.

YAOasz7.png

As a test, try holding the shift key at boot to go to safe mode. That bypasses any login or startup items and will tell you if once of those is the issue.

bk01eeh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2014
Time Machine may be the one. It's running now and has been for sometime. It's trying to do 165 GB because I did a fresh install of Yosemite. I'll check some more to see if it was running when I first had this problem. May be solved Thanks!!!!....eugene

----------

Is there something better then Intego? I don't have an attachment to it so I could change for something better. Thanks...........eugene

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Time Machine may be the one. It's running now and has been for sometime. It's trying to do 165 GB because I did a fresh install of Yosemite. I'll check some more to see if it was running when I first had this problem. May be solved Thanks!!!!....eugene

----------

Is there something better then Intego? I don't have an attachment to it so I could change for something better. Thanks...........eugene

I just did a quick check and my networked TM backup shows data in KT there also, so I think h9826790 hit pay dirt there!

You don't need anything like Intego at all. If you want to run an AV package, just use the free ClamXAV and run it manually once in a while.

bk01eeh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2014
I think you are correct. Thanks to everyone for your help. Now to mark resolved.....eugene

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.