Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I'm having slower launching of apps., my UI is slower all around. This only came about for me since the 10.10.2 point update. It's really frustrating. I've got decent specs. for my MP and dealing with this. I've even just spent another $370 for a faster video card hoping it will help. Now I worry it won't make a difference. If the video card doesn't help, I'll roll back to 10.10.1

iMojito

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2012
I'm having slower launching of apps., my UI is slower all around. This only came about for me since the 10.10.2 point update. It's really frustrating. I've got decent specs. for my MP and dealing with this. I've even just spent another $370 for a faster video card hoping it will help. Now I worry it won't make a difference. If the video card doesn't help, I'll roll back to 10.10.1

For me this problem has been present since early Developer Previews.
And no hope: same issue still persists on 10.10.3 pre-release

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I know this is a Windowsish attitude, but I wonder if a truly clean install would resolve this. I'm guessing others have tried and betting on NO!

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
Same performance here. I notice that a few processes hang after some time. That may be part of it...if they are being called and are not responding. I can't really leave iTunes running any more. Sometimes I have to restart safari. It's really based on what I see in activity monitor and can probably vary with the apps folks are using. I like Yosemite overall. I hope some of these nags get worked out soon.

I'm curious why folks are habitually resetting SMC and PRAM. What exactly do those things have to do with system responsiveness?

I think it's interesting that Windows can run on lower and lower spec'd hardware while OS X becomes more and more of a pig that can't run efficiently on the highest end Macs. Is the Apple hardware lockin becomin too much of a conflict of interest with software optimization?

chiefsucker

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2011
I was able to analyze where the performance issues came from and tweaked my setup to be a little bit more Yosemite-friendly (this release is still a mess and tweaking tools reminds of last century DOS & Windows times).
  1. Dual-monitor setup and Mission Control configuration
  2. Menu bar icons that update frequently
Tweaking Mission Control (mainly disabling features) and changing menu bar icons from apps to be static or update less frequently solved most of the issues.

iMojito

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2012
I was able to analyze where the performance issues came from and tweaked my setup to be a little bit more Yosemite-friendly (this release is still a mess and tweaking tools reminds of last century DOS & Windows times).
  1. Dual-monitor setup and Mission Control configuration
  2. Menu bar icons that update frequently
Tweaking Mission Control (mainly disabling features) and changing menu bar icons from apps to be static or update less frequently solved most of the issues.

For me, it didn't

askabob91

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2008
I sent an email complaining about the menu bar issue to Tim Cook and got a call from Apple a few days later, saying they are aware of the problem and wanting to collect sysdiagnose WindowServer information from me. Fingers crossed it will be fixed in 10.10.3.

ubercool

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2008
Las Vegas
I know this is a Windowsish attitude, but I wonder if a truly clean install would resolve this. I'm guessing others have tried and betting on NO!

No I always clean install a new OS and Yosemite started slowing down within a month of the clean install. In fact, I'm venturing to guess that Yosemite is the worst-performing OS in years, and I'm on a 2012 RMBP so no issues with power here.

If I recall correctly, I'm going to say that Lion was the last well-performing OS Apple has produced. This also explains the social media backlash the decline in Apple software quality has created. :(

socamx

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2004
the pale blue dot
Just chiming in again on this thread, still in regard to my rMBP as mentioned in my prior post.

My last reboot was after 15 days of uptime, the slowdown was getting unbearable. Windows taking time to switch forward with cmd+tab, scrolling choppy, etc.

Currently it's been up for 7 days and I noticed the slowdown a couple days ago. So in my case it only takes about 4 days for the slowdown to start being noticeable.

I really hope they can solve this issue with 10.10.3. While it is a minor inconvenience to go through a reboot, it's still an interruption to my workflow. It's also frustrating to feel a high end computer get bogged down and slowed due to some software bug in an OS.

echeng

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2009
This is happening to me as well with my Mac Pro, and it is driving me crazy. If I leave my machine on for more than a day, it starts to feel slow. If I leave it on for more than 5 days, it is so slow that every action takes many seconds. I can no longer shut the machine down, at this point, either (shut down never completes). I have all latest OS updates as of today.

boondocks

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2013
I know this is a really old thread, but as I am still using Yosemite (10.10.5) and having this problem, although "only" have to reboot after a long time - like 30+ days - to regain my smooth UI-speed, after a gradual slowdown over that period.
I was wondering if anyone knows that if after upgrading to the latest Mac OS (e.g. currently High Sierra / 10.13.4) would this issue be finally solved?

chiefsucker

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2011
I was wondering if anyone knows that if after upgrading to the latest Mac OS (e.g. currently High Sierra / 10.13.4) would this issue be finally solved?

I run the latest macOS and haven‘t encountered any similar issues in a very long time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.