Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
Can someone tell me how exactly to back up everything so that after the clean install, moving everything back is nice and smooth? (including iMessages)

Also, will upgrading now let me do a clean install later? I may get my hands on a new External HDD on the weekend, so that would be my chance, but I'd like to try out Yosemite now.

I should probably copy it to the USB before upgrading since once I have Yosemite I won't be able to redownload it, correct?

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
Can someone tell me how exactly to back up everything so that after the clean install, moving everything back is nice and smooth? (including iMessages)

Also, will upgrading now let me do a clean install later? I may get my hands on a new External HDD on the weekend, so that would be my chance, but I'd like to try out Yosemite now.

I should probably copy it to the USB before upgrading since once I have Yosemite I won't be able to redownload it, correct?

Time machine

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2011

Time machine

Ok but see is a RESTORE from a TIME MACHINE going to be a clean install? Like when I restore I feel I would not want to do my APPS from time machine since this is a new OS.

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
I used to be a believer of this, until I was bored one day and tested it for myself. I installed 10.9 in a VM, clean install. I then installed 10.6 in a second VM, and upgraded it all the way to 10.9. The clean installed vm was noticeably more responsive, even though I hadn't actually done anything with the other one other than upgrade the OS.

i think this is a really good point... i've never done as clear a test as yourself, but have always felt that a clean install runs much smoother and more responsive....

though this time i think i'll upgrade my server (mini) and try it out.... i'm feeling a little lazy atm to setup all the services anew (Radius in particular is a bit of a pita...)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Ok but see is a RESTORE from a TIME MACHINE going to be a clean install? Like when I restore I feel I would not want to do my APPS from time machine since this is a new OS.

A restore is not a clean install. It will put all your stuff, settings, preferences, files and apps all back where they were and incorporate them into the new OS.

A clean install is just that. Start fresh and don't put anything back from a backup, except personal files. All apps and settings are also put back manually and fresh.

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
Time machine

Yeah, this reminds me I haven't done a backup in like 50 days.. :rolleyes:

That Time Machine notification is annoying..

Thing is my HDD I use for TM is so noisy.. I should get a quieter one..

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
A restore is not a clean install. It will put all your stuff, settings, preferences, files and apps all back where they were and incorporate them into the new OS.

A clean install is just that. Start fresh and don't put anything back from a backup, except personal files. All apps and settings are also put back manually and fresh.

Ok, so I want a clean install. Can you tell me HOW to back up my current computer so I can manually pick the files I want back in Yosemite?

From what I read online, I have to backup the Macintosh HD/User folder, and also my iTunes Media folder following this guide: (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1751)

(Last time I messed that up badly and lost all my play counts, it was sad.)

What happens with Tags for example?

Also, can you manually pick files from a Time Machine backup??

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
I've been thinking I'd clean up some old kruft by doing a clean install. I've had some quirky behavior so I thought starting fresh would be good.

The question is, after that what can I safely bring back from a backup that won't reintroduce that same crap to my new install? I take it using the Migration Assistant should be avoided, but what can I bring back and how. Do I manually drag and drop apps? Can I have it set up my old user accounts without grabbing all the preference files? Give me some insight here.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I've been thinking I'd clean up some old kruft by doing a clean install. I've had some quirky behavior so I thought starting fresh would be good.

The question is, after that what can I safely bring back from a backup that won't reintroduce that same crap to my new install? I take it using the Migration Assistant should be avoided, but what can I bring back and how. Do I manually drag and drop apps? Can I have it set up my old user accounts without grabbing all the preference files? Give me some insight here.

You can manually drag individual files over that you have created etc. I wouldn't bring over your library or installed apps, as that defeats the purpose of a clean install. Install the apps fresh. That way, if you have a problem, you won't have consider the drag over from a previous OS as being the culprit.

rajjejosefsson

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2014
im also going for a clean install. but i wonder how do i backup my stuff for best way, i gott ccc and also timemachine to a timecapsule..

Whats the best way? could anyone guide me :)

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
clean install is way too much work. All your apps, documents, media etc. need to be copied and then brought back over.

Not worth the trouble.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Ok, so I want a clean install. Can you tell me HOW to back up my current computer so I can manually pick the files I want back in Yosemite?

From what I read online, I have to backup the Macintosh HD/User folder, and also my iTunes Media folder following this guide: (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1751)

(Last time I messed that up badly and lost all my play counts, it was sad.)

What happens with Tags for example?

Also, can you manually pick files from a Time Machine backup??

Honestly, I'm not sure, as I've never done it myself. I'd follow the knowledge base article and be very careful. Also, have a Time Machine back up done before hand just in case things go bad.

App1eG33k

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
For me I bought brand new WD 3TB (Black) hard-drive for clean install Yosemite, now everything is up and running pretty fast.

Right now i gotta to install various applications....

OMG i love Yosemite - freakin awesome !! :D

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
Ok so I was making a copy of my Home folder, and I left it overnight.

Today I look in the finder and it seems the task is completed (it was close to being completed when I went to sleep), but the copied folder had a "incomplete copy" folder icon, with the little circle with the x on the corner.

I attributed this to just being a glitch. IIRC I've had it happen before.

So I double checked the size of the copy of my home folder, with my home folder and this is what I got: http://imgur.com/8izZEEY

I'm confused, why does it have a little bit of space excluded, but it says the total amount of items is the same. Is this normal? Is it just some sort of "ghost" data floating around in my hard drive?

I'm a bit worried..

----------

Oh wait it says there is 1 item more.. ANd the size is fluctuating as I look at it (on my home folder). Could it be some sort of Safari thing? (Since I've been using Safari and only Safari all night?)

Cinab1mt

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Can anyone tell me how I might recover a "1 time install" program if I decide to do a clean install?

IE: Word for Mac that I got for very cheap while I was in school (gotta love those student discounts), the problem is it was a one time install program and I no longer have the disk. This is really the only program I am worried about carrying over as all the others I still have the serial keys for. I have a TM backup so Im not worried about any files or pics. I really don't want to drop more money on Word at this point as even now I don't use it all that much to justify the purchase.

Can anyone help?

pkatiraei

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2015
Yosemite clean still

Hi Everyone,

I had spent hours reading all the comments about doing a clean install because my 2009 15" mac 4gb ram 2.66hz had become painfully slow. After doing all the reading, I was very hesitant. I spoke to a tech at Apple and he was 100% sure a clean install would do the trick. I decided along with this to purchase a new hybrid drive. I hooked the new drive up to an external bay and did a new install. When the computer rebooted, it automatically transferred all my personal data/files/settings (I chose to manually do a new install on the programs). It was so easy I was surprised. I dropped in the new drive and was shocked as to how much faster and smoother my computer was running. Afterwards I upgraded my ram to 8gb and now have a computer that runs as well as I could ever ask for! All for $120! Highly recommend this for anyone whose computer is slow enough that you are considering buying a new one after installation of Yosemite. The difference is amazing.

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
I upgraded to Yosemite from Mavericks through the APP store right along with millions of other people with no problems.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I upgraded to Yosemite from Mavericks through the APP store right along with millions of other people with no problems.

Agreed. I think a good rule of thumb is to try the upgrade method first. What do you have to lose? If the upgrade is smooth and everything is working, you're set. For whatever reason things go south or do not seem to be functioning correctly, then that's a good sign that a clean install may be necessary.

Remember, always have a backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.