Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AvalancheX999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
The Netherlands
Hi everyone,

This is the first time I am installing a Developer Preview of OS X. One of the main questions I have is whether the DP of Yosemite will update itself to new developer releases, or do I need to do this manually?

Thanks in advance!

Robin
The Netherlands

Last edited:

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
I think the answer is "Yes, both."

Past releases have had software updates for some fixes, as well as new versions of the installer you'd need to run to do an install. Usually the main DP1, 2, 3 are new installers, and there are some in-between updates that act like normal software updates.

AvalancheX999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
The Netherlands
Thanks! So does this mean that I need to download and install the public released (final) version of Yosemite too after it has been pushed to the Apple servers? Or will the final DP version provide an option for us in the form of a "Software update" instead of going to the App Store?

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
You will need to download the version that appears in the app store. Conveniently, you've already "purchased" it: when it is released to the public, "OS X Yosemite" will replace "OS X 10.10 Developer Preview" in your purchased list in the App Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.