Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Just installed OS X 10.10 a.k.a. Yosemite and now it is not working properly!
Messages and FaceTime crash with a window saying:
"Internal Error" or something like that!
Please help
Could try to reboot your computer and do not restart applications that were running. Sometimes it will help. You may just have some incompatible App. I do not thank most beta sites are having your problem.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Always put a link to such wise advice right at the beginning of the installer, so that five minutes of work at Apple can prevent so many such sad tales every_single_year, except that when you really think about it that would be wrong, Wrong, SO VERY WRONG!!!

Apple puts out plenty of disclaimers about their beta software. Frankly, though, the only people who should be installing it right now are those who paid for access to it through the Developer Program, whom you would expect know what they're doing. If people are either buying their way into the beta not knowing what they're doing, or are obtaining the software illegally so they can play, they're on their own.

soundslikeaudio

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014
Losing your files will teach you to put a DEVELOPER PREVIEW on your main machine without a backup, particularly since you're obviously not a developer. There's a reason this hasn't been released yet. It's not Apple's job to babysit you into backing up before doing this, they did their due diligence by not releasing this in its current state, aside as from a preview for developers. Good god.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Always put a link to such wise advice right at the beginning of the installer, so that five minutes of work at Apple can prevent so many such sad tales every_single_year, except that when you really think about it that would be wrong, Wrong, SO VERY WRONG!!!

I was wondering when you'd pop up again to promote your agenda...

----------

Apple puts out plenty of disclaimers about their beta software. Frankly, though, the only people who should be installing it right now are those who paid for access to it through the Developer Program, whom you would expect know what they're doing. If people are either buying their way into the beta not knowing what they're doing, or are obtaining the software illegally so they can play, they're on their own.

Felasco is the same person who repeatedly insists that Apple needs to instruct all users on how to install a new OS in a separate partition and test it before making it their main system. It's been explained to him numerous times how that is neither feasible nor attainable for the majority of Mac users, yet the response back is always to claim that people pointing out the flaws in his logic are Apple apologists - he can't defend his stance when called to the table on it.

soundslikeaudio

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014
I was wondering when you'd pop up again to promote your agenda...

----------

Felasco is the same person who repeatedly insists that Apple needs to instruct all users on how to install a new OS in a separate partition and test it before making it their main system. It's been explained to him numerous times how that is neither feasible nor attainable for the majority of Mac users, yet the response back is always to claim that people pointing out the flaws in his logic are Apple apologists - he can't defend his stance when called to the table on it.

So basically he believes it's Apple's job to protect people from themselves, and people have no personal responsibility to operate their machines correctly. I really don't understand people who have this viewpoint. Does your car dealership have to take you out and give you a driving improvement class before they sell you a car? No, they don't and that's an actual life and death situation. That's REAL. It's 2014, if you're not aware that you should backup your family photos you're really not trying very hard to be an informed computer user.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
So basically he believes it's Apple's job to protect people from themselves, and people have no personal responsibility to operate their machines correctly. I really don't understand people who have this viewpoint. Does your car dealership have to take you out and give you a driving improvement class before they sell you a car? No, they don't and that's an actual life and death situation. That's REAL. It's 2014, if you're not aware that you should backup your family photos you're really not trying very hard to be an informed computer user.

It gets even better - according to Felasco, the lack of directions on how to install a new OS in a separate partition is the cause of so many issues with new OS releases, and including these directions will solve the vast majority of said issues.

soundslikeaudio

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014
It gets even better - according to Felasco, the lack of directions on how to install a new OS in a separate partition is the cause of so many issues with new OS releases, and including these directions will solve the vast majority of said issues.

Wow that's insane. Just....wow.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX

Interestingly enough, if you really wanted these instructions you could schedule an appointment with an Apple Genius and get all the assistance/education you needed. But yeah, that's beyond the pale and it's completely unreasonable to expect the average use to engage in such activities.

Besides, there's always Google if you really want to know how to do something. I thought we were all aware of that by now.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

Do you really think that's gonna matter? It's been said on the internet, in forums, in blogs and virtually everywhere for how long, over 10 years to Backup Backup Backup.
And I'd like to think that people installing the DP of OS X were tech savvy enough to at least know that.

Sadly, this is why Windows users tend to put Apple users down saying we're less tech savvy. Apple holding our hands by putting a link before the installer to tell Developers to do something that should already know to do kinda proves the Windows users right about Mac users.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Do you really think that's gonna matter? It's been said on the internet, in forums, in blogs and virtually everywhere for how long, over 10 years to Backup Backup Backup.
And I'd like to think that people installing the DP of OS X were tech savvy enough to at least know that.

Sadly, this is why Windows users tend to put Apple users down saying we're less tech savvy. Apple holding our hands by putting a link before the installer to tell Developers to do something that should already know to do kinda proves the Windows users right about Mac users.

I agree with your first paragraph wholeheartedly.

But Windows users as a whole are far less tech-savvy. After all, the vast majority of Windows machines sold are probably in the $300-$600 range, and it's sure not techies that are buying those. If you want to compare the most elite Windows and Mac users, you'd probably have a good argument.

soundslikeaudio

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014
Interestingly enough, if you really wanted these instructions you could schedule an appointment with an Apple Genius and get all the assistance/education you needed. But yeah, that's beyond the pale and it's completely unreasonable to expect the average use to engage in such activities.

A very good point. Included the cost of purchasing your fancy Mac is a lifetime of just this kind of assistance, all for the cost of making a Genius Bar appt. And trust me, I don't know a genius who wouldn't love to help someone with that type of question, aside from the fact you can't ask for help with betas. But they'd be happy to help you backup, partition the drive, etc.

I agree with your first paragraph wholeheartedly.

But Windows users as a whole are far less tech-savvy. After all, the vast majority of Windows machines sold are probably in the $300-$600 range, and it's sure not techies that are buying those. If you want to compare the most elite Windows and Mac users, you'd probably have a good argument.

As someone who's spent almost 5 years on the other side of the Genius Bar, I respectfully disagree. I'd say it's about the same. Ignorance is ignorance, and a lot of (particularly new) Mac owners heard that "Macs were easier to use" or a similar argument, and that's why they made the switch, due to their ignorance. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion, I believe they are a better machine for someone who doesn't want to learn a lot about computers. My grandmother had an eMachines PC for years that barely got used, I got her a mac mini and an iPad and she uses them daily for all sorts of things. You may be right in saying that Mac owners know more about their computers than PC owners, but I firmly believe that has more to do with the ease of use on the mac side versus the PC world, not Mac owners being inherently more tech savvy than their PC counterparts.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK

Felasco doesn't want that link included just for developers though - he wants that included for ALL Mac users, regardless of skill level or tech savvy. He actually wants that included in the official releases of new versions of OS X.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Non-developers / beta testers that install early beta OS on primary machines on primary partitions without a single backup of their previous OS deserve no help at all and will indeed get what they deserve.

These threads should be closed.

Felasco

Oct 19, 2012
....yet the response back is always to claim that people pointing out the flaws in his logic are Apple apologists - he can't defend his stance when called to the table on it.....

In point of fact I've actually effectively demolished all such arguments, but face the admittedly overwhelming obstacle that my critics here are either too young or too dense to grasp why Apple attempting to be more helpful might be a good idea for all concerned.

I've never suggested anybody be required to install in a safe manner, only that it would be helpful if everyone was informed (and reminded) of such good practice procedures. And the best party to provide such constructive education is Apple, right in the installer itself.

The fact that it's a developer release we're discussing in this particular case really has little to do with it, because most of my fellow posters would object to such a helpful link in the installer even if it was an OS release designed specifically for their first time Mac using Grandma...

Unless Apple had the idea first.

And then you would bow low and salute, and proclaim what a wonderful idea it is indeed!

The malady many of you are suffering is called "authority worship", a process little different than those who believe everything the Pope says simply because he is the Pope. Apple is your Pope apparently, and I am your apostate blaspheming heretic.

Last edited:

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
In point of fact I've actually effectively demolished all such arguments, but face the admittedly overwhelming obstacle that my critics here are either too young or too dense to grasp why Apple attempting to be more helpful might be a good idea for all concerned.

I've never suggested anybody be required to install in a safe manner, only that it would be helpful if everyone was informed (and reminded) of such good practice procedures. And the best party to provide such constructive education is Apple, right in the installer itself.

The fact that it's a developer release we're discussing in this particular case really has little to do with it, because most of my fellow posters would object to such a helpful link in the installer even if it was an OS release designed specifically for their first time Mac using Grandma...

Unless Apple had the idea first.

And then you would bow low and salute, and proclaim what a wonderful idea it is indeed!

The malady many of you are suffering is called "authority worship", a process little different than those who believe everything the Pope says simply because he is the Pope. Apple is your Pope apparently, and I am your apostate blaspheming heretic.

A simple link in the installer would not be that much trouble for Apple. But, there will always be peoples who will ignore yellow exclamation marks, or even red stoplights, no matter the costs for themselves and/or others. :rolleyes:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I cloned my drive to an external Thunderbolt drive and am running the beta from that version. It's a lot safer. Plus, since I have an Office 365 subscription I'm able to continue using MS Office.

grzegorz914

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2014
Just installed OS X 10.10 a.k.a. Yosemite and now it is not working properly!
Messages and FaceTime crash with a window saying:
"Internal Error" or something like that!
Please help

Go to the contacts.app and delete from the phone position all illegal characters such as: **700, *, etc..
Permitted are only numbers and the + sign

regards

Felasco

Oct 19, 2012
A simple link in the installer would not be that much trouble for Apple. But, there will always be peoples who will ignore yellow exclamation marks, or even red stoplights, no matter the costs for themselves and/or others. :rolleyes:

Yes, I agree with this completely.

My point is only that we shouldn't let the impossibility of a perfect solution stop us from aiming for a perfect solution.

You are entirely right, so I don't get what my fellow posters are so worried about, as there will always be users who can be declared wrong about something. :)

----------

You misattributed the quote in your post, friend.

My apologies! Corrected. Thanks for the alert.

yeldarbnamdlog

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2014
Yes, I agree with this completely.

My point is only that we shouldn't let the impossibility of a perfect solution stop us from aiming for a perfect solution.

You are entirely right, so I don't get what my fellow posters are so worried about, as there will always be users who can be declared wrong about something. :)

I declare you wrong, regarding the following:

1) There is NO quote-unquote 'perfect solution' in ANY early build of an operating system, and so, aiming for one, at this point, as a user, is like aiming to draw a whole bottle of moonshine, from a caterpillar...You should know this!

2) I have already declared you wrong, in my first point, however, there are an untold amount of people in this particular sub-forum, who are only in here, because this is an unreleased and still-in-development, operating system, and therefore, will inevitably post asinine responses to any thread containing any kind of specifics, especially posters who use title explaining their problems - This is just asking for trouble, but, again, you should know this!

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
Backups are just good, for any kind of anything.

Still if you're getting down and dirty with a developer release of something, you should be a developer, or have a beta mindset at least..

It's not like you accidentally buy a developer account, and if you got it from some shady website then I hope you lose all your stuff!

I wonder how this play out with the public beta coming this summer.

Felasco

Oct 19, 2012
1) There is NO quote-unquote 'perfect solution' in ANY early build of an operating system,

I already agreed with this.

and so, aiming for one, at this point, as a user, is like aiming to draw a whole bottle of moonshine, from a caterpillar...You should know this!

Aiming for the perfect solution takes us towards where we want to go, not to where we would ideally like to be. You should know this!

Apple was built out of a permanent state of chronic creative dissatisfaction, an uncomfortable but productive mindset pounded in to Apple by an ever demanding and ornery Steve Jobs, and other leaders at Apple. Forward, forward, forward, aiming for perfection, while knowing it can not be reached. It's not the destination, but the journey, and so on.

I am arguing for this state of mind, introducing you to it perhaps, and you are arguing for the current comfy cozy status quo, where no one has to think because Apple is always right no matter what.

I'm being loyal to what made Apple great, while you are arguing for complacency and same old same old.

I am Apple.

You are Windows/PC.

YOU JUST DON'T KNOW IT...

2) I have already declared you wrong, in my first point, however, there are an untold amount of people in this particular sub-forum, who are only in here, because this is an unreleased and still-in-development, operating system, and therefore, will inevitably post asinine responses to any thread containing any kind of specifics, especially posters who use title explaining their problems - This is just asking for trouble, but, again, you should know this!

What this has to do with improving the experience of Mac users, I know not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.