Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
I will try to make this short and understandable:)

I wiped out the disc because I was giving it to someone(iMac). I found out later, I should've moved the OS installer somewhere different but I did not and I'm going to assume it was erased. No matter what key combos I press during start up I keep getting sign in to Apple to download Yosemite and it goes through the motion but never downloads. I downloaded the Yosemite .dmg on a usb stick and was wondering if I could plug the flash drive into the computer and install it in the iMac?

The process after I erased the drive
erase.jpeg
closed the window and proceeded onward :cool:
reinstall.jpeg
everything was going good(so I thought)
install1.jpeg
and then WTF:eek:
installer.jpeg
then I looked at the base system and thought maybe this might work
base.jpeg
and seen the installer was a no go and another :eek::eek:

Yosemite is the highest upgrade for this iMac but they are only going to use it for photos.

I was hoping maybe the usb stick can load the system?

thanks

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
I guess it's an old Yosemite thing with Apple, so never mind.
Since I'm here or one more thing :)
I have the .dmg of Yosemite. I was wondering if I could go through the process of installing and stop so I could grab the installer. I would be using a 2015 iMac but also have an older iMac. I don't want any Yosemite files on my computer or the other one.

Aii

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2023
Your story is my fear.

I was given a Mac by a friend, who trusts me, and did not wipe the hard drive before giving it to me... with the full expectation that I will do just that.

And I want to.

Plus I need to, in order to use the computer as anything other than a "Guest".

However, I don't want to encounter what you have weathered and reported above, so I am curious, now 7 months later, what you ended up doing?

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
Your story is my fear.

I was given a Mac by a friend, who trusts me, and did not wipe the hard drive before giving it to me... with the full expectation that I will do just that.

And I want to.

Plus I need to, in order to use the computer as anything other than a "Guest".

However, I don't want to encounter what you have weathered and reported above, so I am curious, now 7 months later, what you ended up doing?
I was going to give it to someone but it was too old so I wiped it and plan on giving it to an Apple store.
Your case ask your friend for their password to the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.