Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lornaevo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
New York, NY
So, after watching the Keynote, this is one of the features that has me intrigued. The way it seems, is that this won't affect your tethering usage as he mentioned no configuration needed. I do own a macbook, but use android. If this works as I think, I'll actually switch back to ios.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
So, after watching the Keynote, this is one of the features that has me intrigued. The way it seems, is that this won't affect your tethering usage as he mentioned no configuration needed. I do own a macbook, but use android. If this works as I think, I'll actually switch back to ios.

I'm wondering the same. The demo made it seem as if you don't need to set anything up with your carrier in order to share your iOS device's data connection. But I don't see why carriers would allow that, since they derive income from it.

yeldarbnamdlog

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2014
I can't see carriers allowing Facetime to audio call cell/mobile numbers either, but I'm sure Apple have it figured out.

SuperRob

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
I'm wondering the same. The demo made it seem as if you don't need to set anything up with your carrier in order to share your iOS device's data connection. But I don't see why carriers would allow that, since they derive income from it.

They specifically said that it would work if the tethering feature on your phone was enabled by the carrier, so it is dependent.

The innovation here is that you don't need to turn tethering on in your phone's settings ... Handoff takes care of sharing the data between the devices to get the access it needs.

It's similar to the feature they added to Apple TV where you can tap your phone on the device and it configures the WiFi settings automatically, so I suspect Handoff is a Bluetooth LE / iBeacon implementation.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
That is correct. It negotiates the hotspot. But your phone and carrier must already be setup for it and allow it. There is a disclaimer note on the OS X Yosemite pages as to this.

From bottom of OS X Yosemite page: Mac + iOS tab.

http://www.apple.com/osx/preview/mac-and-ios/

Features are subject to change. Some features may not be available in all regions or all languages.
Additional charges may apply when using your device’s cellular network.
*Check with your carrier for hotspot availability.

I assume it works with iPads as well. I have a Verizon iPad Mini that I hotspot on rare occasion. But my grandfathered unlimited AT&T iPhone plan does not allow for hotspots and I don't see this changing with 10.10.

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

Per notes, the phone must have carrier tethering program. The method in Yosemite is just an easier process to initiate the tethering.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
i dont understand, if im going with my macbook at starbucks lets say, and if there is somebody there with ios8, i can charge his data plan?? I think a password is still required

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
i dont understand, if im going with my macbook at starbucks lets say, and if there is somebody there with ios8, i can charge his data plan?? I think a password is still required

No. I assume this feature will only work if you are logged in with the same iCloud ID on both devices. Otherwise, you will have to initiate the Personal Hotspot the same way as earlier versions. Same thing with the Continuity features.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK

Both the computer and iOS device must be tied to the same iCloud account. I noticed last night that just connecting my iPhone to my Mac triggered the instant hotspot, even though I had a fully functional WiFi connection already.

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014

Wait.
You have device which has mobile data connection. How could possibly your carrier stop you from forwarding mobile data to another device via Wifi, BT or any other protocol? There is no way they could even see that you are tethering. Unless of course there is a some sort of strict config you need to follow to enable tethering on iOS without any hacking, can't say for sure as I'am not using iOS, but that would seem illogical and silly and it would be OS limitation, not carrier's.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Both the computer and iOS device must be tied to the same iCloud account. I noticed last night that just connecting my iPhone to my Mac triggered the instant hotspot, even though I had a fully functional WiFi connection already.

let me understand, so hotspot has priority ??

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
let me understand, so hotspot has priority ??

That I'm not sure of. I had just updated my iPhone to iOS 8, and the hotspot was turned back on during the install process. When I get home this evening, I'll turn the hotspot back on and see if the computer automatically connects to it again.

dc52nv

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2011
That is correct. It negotiates the hotspot. But your phone and carrier must already be setup for it and allow it. There is a disclaimer note on the OS X Yosemite pages as to this.

From bottom of OS X Yosemite page: Mac + iOS tab.

http://www.apple.com/osx/preview/mac-and-ios/

Features are subject to change. Some features may not be available in all regions or all languages.
Additional charges may apply when using your device’s cellular network.
*Check with your carrier for hotspot availability.

I assume it works with iPads as well. I have a Verizon iPad Mini that I hotspot on rare occasion. But my grandfathered unlimited AT&T iPhone plan does not allow for hotspots and I don't see this changing with 10.10.

This is the main reason I'm sticking with my jailbreak on my 5S. I am grandfathered in with AT&T for unlimited data and use MyWi to occasionally use it to connect my MBP while on the go.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
That I'm not sure of. I had just updated my iPhone to iOS 8, and the hotspot was turned back on during the install process. When I get home this evening, I'll turn the hotspot back on and see if the computer automatically connects to it again.

I just had a chance to test it. Yosemite does see the iPhone and lists it as an available connection without me turning on the hotspot option on the phone itself. However, it DOES NOT connect automatically. Including a screenshot (network names removed) to illustrate what Yosemite sees. I was surprised that cell signal strength and network type were relayed to the computer.

One other interesting note: if you turn the hotspot option on from the phone itself, Yosemite sees it listed with the other WiFi networks in the area instead of the Personal Hotspots section as shown in the two images below.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-03 at 11.47.26 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-06-03 at 11.47.26 PM.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 160
  • Screen Shot 2014-06-03 at 11.53.56 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-06-03 at 11.53.56 PM.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.