Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adammacbacpac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2023
This 2nd hand MacBook Air has come with 10.10.5 yosemite, installed. I've looked at both the Overview 'software update' and App Store options for OSX el capitan upgrade. Neither offer the upgrade. Has anyone got a solution to this issue?

sdfox7

Contributor
Jan 30, 2022
USA
This 2nd hand MacBook Air has come with 10.10.5 yosemite, installed. I've looked at both the Overview 'software update' and App Store options for OSX el capitan upgrade. Neither offer the upgrade. Has anyone got a solution to this issue?
Not sure if you resolved this, but did you attempt downloading directly from Apple's page? They have the direct links to all the operating systems there. By the Lion and Mountain Lion are now FREE, they no longer charge for these.

Screen Shot 2023-05-27 at 7.39.18 PM.png

Last edited:

Aii

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2023
When downloading a .dmg from Apple's webpage illustrated above, what is the best practice, or order of operation, in the following scenario:

I have an iMac with 10.10.5 Yosemite, that I want to update to 10.11.6 El Capitan (yes, in 2023).

But, and this is a big but, I do not have administrator privileges to the iMac.

However, I DO have the original discs that shipped with the iMac.

But, and this is an even bigger but, I am afraid that the original discs will take the iMac back to a jungle cat.

And I am worried that an ancient enough jungle cat may never make it back to a California National Park.

I am currently using the iMac as a guest until I figure out how to manage wiping the drive and loading the latest MacOS that will run reasonably on a 12 year old machine.

I have access to external drives, if that would help in terms of loading a .dmg file to.

I want to entirely delete the personal data of the prior owner who gave me the machine, as I promised to.

What is the best way to proceed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.