Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sul26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2014
Hi,

Has anyone successfully installed Yosemite on a MacBook air 1,1 early 2008? I have already prepared a USB drive using the most recent SFOTT script. The USB was created successfully and when I choose the USB at startup (holding the option key), it boots to the OS on the MacBook and does not do anything else.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

-sul.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
I successfully installed on a 2009 MBP. Actually I installed on an external WD Passport Ultra 2TB drive and am using it that way. The drive is USB 3.0 and my ports are all 2.0 but the install went without a hitch. After installation it asked me if I wanted to copy all files on my internal drive to the external drive. I did and that went well. The only issue I am having is WIFI connectivity. Everything else is ok.

Before installation I prepared the WD drive with one partition (journal) using disk utilities

Did you already download Yosemite onto your internal drive? If so select your USB drive as the disk for installation.

sul26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2014
baypharm, thanks for your post. In my case it initially tries to boot from the USB and then it errors out and then boots instead from the OS on the mac's primary drive. The system.log has the following log entry:

com.apple.kextd[10]: /Volumes/SFOTT: unrecognized bootcaches.plist data; skipping.

This is a wild guess, but the boot.efi available through SFOTT (and/or macrumors) is probably not conducive for this particular hardware, i.e.: MacBook Air 1,1 Early 2008. I wonder if anyone can verify this.

Just in case: The board Id is: "Mac-F42C8CC8" and the hardware name is MacBookAir1,1

Thanks!

-sul.

woc

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2015
Hi,

Has anyone successfully installed Yosemite on a MacBook air 1,1 early 2008? I have already prepared a USB drive using the most recent SFOTT script. The USB was created successfully and when I choose the USB at startup (holding the option key), it boots to the OS on the MacBook and does not do anything else.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

-sul.

Hi sul26,
I would install Yosemite on a MacBook air 1,1 too.
Before starting I would ask you if you did it successfully.
Thank you,
woc.

sul26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2014
Hi,

No I am unable to install it either. The graphics card on this model is not compatible.

Thanks!

-s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.