Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrc-corv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
CA
Has anyone upgraded to Mac OS 10.10 Yosemite
while still using Quicken 2007 for Mac.
Any upgrade problems ???
I am running Q2007 and Q2015 tandem.
Thankx, JRC

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
Quicken 2007 wasn't able to run on Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks or Yosemite. It'll only run on Snow Leopard.

Think it's about time for you to upgrade?

primes

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2008
QM2007 for Lion

I am running Mavericks and I am using "Quicken Mac 2007 OS X Lion compatible" version which can be found at:

https://quicken.intuit.com/personal-finance-software/quicken-2007-osx-lion.jsp

This is a SPECIAL VERSION created by Intuit for $15 as a download that works on Lion, Mountain Lion, and Mavericks. I have NOT yet tested it on Yosemite.

Intuit created this SPECIAL version AFTER the move to Lion prevented the continued use of Rosetta. While this is admittedly NOT an ideal solution, it did migrate my database (since 1990) to Lion, then Mountain Lion, and then Mavericks. There have also been some minor bug fixes released by Intuit for this special version.

I have purchased the Quicken for Mac 2015 but I have not yet tested it on Yosemite. My preference would be to move to QM2015 with my database intact. Even better: I would eventually like to move my database to QuickBooks for Mac since I use that product for my business already.

----------

If you are using Quicken for Mac 2004 or before, then you can not use the special 2007 version for Lion. If you can find someone who has an old Mac and can convert the file with Q2005 to that version, then you can migrate all of the way to QFM2007 Lion Version, and then hopefully to QFM2015.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
If you are using Quicken for Mac 2004 or before, then you can not use the special 2007 version for Lion. If you can find someone who has an old Mac and can convert the file with Q2005 to that version, then you can migrate all of the way to QFM2007 Lion Version, and then hopefully to QFM2015.

If you are using Quicken 2004 or older you first need to convert the data files while still running in Tiger/Leopard/Snow Leopard:

Download Quicken 2006 (PPC) from Intuit

Open your data file in Quicken 2006 (PPC) and it will automatically convert it to Quicken 2005/6/7 data file.

Open this new data file in the Quicken 2007 for Intel (Snow Leopard, Lion, Mt. Lion, Mavericks) that primes linked you to (a full Intel version for $15).

brn44

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2008
Rockford, Il
Has anyone upgraded to Mac OS 10.10 Yosemite
while still using Quicken 2007 for Mac.
Any upgrade problems ???
I am running Q2007 and Q2015 tandem.
Thankx, JRC

I am running Yosemite with Quicken 2007 for mac with no problems. You need the last upgrade of Quicken that ran on Maverick & Mountain Lion.

Gochugogi

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
Sandwich Isles
Quicken 2007 is a PPC app. Won't run on Intel chips unless the OS has Rosetta.

It will run on Lion since Lion had Rosetta.

That's not completely true. Intuit released an Intel version of Quicken 2007 for Lion a few years back. It cost $15 and was download only. The last patch was in 2013 and Quicken 2007 has been running perfectly under 10.8 and 10.9 for me on both my 2013 Mini and 2009 Mac Pro. I tested it under 10.10 and it ran fine albeit I only used it for 10 minutes.

CambriaPat

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2014
Yosemite vs Quicken 2007

What I am reading online is not super positive that Quicken 2007 will correctly run on Yosemite. If it runs on Mavericks, wouldn't it run on Yosemite? I downloaded Quicken 2015 and it is a disaster. Not even close to the quality of 2007. All files did not transfer and many aspects I am used to are just not there. I finally uninstalled and resumed with 2007 whose files, thankfully, Quicken 2015 does not mess with. I am running "Quicken Mac 2007 OS X Lion compatible" on Mountain Lion. Until there are better assurances that Quicken 2007 will work with Yosemite, I will have to pass on upgrading. Or maybe a miracle will happen and Intuit will improve 2015 to a respectable level.

brn44

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2008
Rockford, Il
What I am reading online is not super positive that Quicken 2007 will correctly run on Yosemite. If it runs on Mavericks, wouldn't it run on Yosemite? I downloaded Quicken 2015 and it is a disaster. Not even close to the quality of 2007. All files did not transfer and many aspects I am used to are just not there. I finally uninstalled and resumed with 2007 whose files, thankfully, Quicken 2015 does not mess with. I am running "Quicken Mac 2007 OS X Lion compatible" on Mountain Lion. Until there are better assurances that Quicken 2007 will work with Yosemite, I will have to pass on upgrading. Or maybe a miracle will happen and Intuit will improve 2015 to a respectable level.

I am running Quicken 2007 on Yosemite with no problem.
I did download Quicken 2015. My files transferred without any problem.
I am running both versions until I am sure I want to keep 2015.
I agree that 2015 really takes getting use to. I am still in my 60 day trail and not sure if I will keep it. I do like the iOS app so I can look up info when not home.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Running 2015 for a few months now. Overall OK, not wow, since coming from Windows Premier version: missing lots of the reports (still), some oddities in the reports they do have (eg. mixing inflow with outflow sections [looks like they take a category and dump every entry into that and call it in or out flow]).

Brought all my data over correctly. Mobile app seems to work correctly. Some getting used to how things work, and need to train re: transaction mapping (and to get an initial account download to balance). But now that set up and been using for a while, getting much closer to second nature in use.

This was my last piece of Windows that I was using, so, glad to not have to fire up my VM except when REALLY need to.

CambriaPat

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2014
Encouraging to know

I am running Quicken 2007 on Yosemite with no problem.
I did download Quicken 2015. My files transferred without any problem.
I am running both versions until I am sure I want to keep 2015.
I agree that 2015 really takes getting use to. I am still in my 60 day trail and not sure if I will keep it. I do like the iOS app so I can look up info when not home.

Thanks for the input. I got my refund with no problem. If 2007 will run on Yosemite, I am not willing to give up the format and features of it for the upgrade. Why oh why did Intuit see the need to take a good product and strip it down to what came out as 2015? Maybe with some improvements over the next year, 2015 will be worth the move. Right now I advise users to stick with 2007.

VictorVictor5

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2014
Greetings all,

Not trying to hijack the thread but trying to pass on relevant information to anyone who looks at this post in the future.

The link that user primes provided no longer exists, but you can still get this update. Unfortunately, the only method to get the update is to online chat with Quicken (lame I know). Trust me, I just spent and hour and a half doing this. What they are trying to do is upsell you to a more expensive version, and, were it not for this post, I might have bit into it.

Now, when I provided them with this link from their own website:
https://qlc.intuit.com/questions/1024385-a-huge-upgrade-from-2004-to-2007-how-to-do-this

they backed off with trying to upsell me. It got annoying, but hey, you kinda have to demonstrate that you did your homework.

And my Quicken files work great in Lion :D Boom!

VV5 out.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
The link that user primes provided no longer exists, but you can still get this update. Unfortunately, the only method to get the update is to online chat with Quicken (lame I know). Trust me, I just spent and hour and a half doing this. What they are trying to do is upsell you to a more expensive version, and, were it not for this post, I might have bit into it.

And from other posts I have read, new users of Quicken 2015 for Mac say this is really an update of Quicken Essentials for Mac and NOT Quicken 2007 for Mac!

Although I have no personal experience with Quicken Essentials, most users on the two forums I review on this subject are loathe to recommend its use!

lbrandt79

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2015
League City, Texas
Quicken 2007

I am currently running OS 10.95 on a late 2013 27 inch iMac and Quicken 2007 16.2 which according to Quicken is the latest 2007 version. I also have Quicken Essentials and run both keeping Essentials because at the time 2007 was waiting on a fix. Anyone out there that has a similar setup and has gone to Yosemite. I also read a while back that some had problems upgrading with some bad RAM from Crucial, have ran diagnostics and think my upgrade is fine. Sorry for the long post. Larry

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.