Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2014
Cape Town
So I know that newly installed operating systems have to index files and other things so its usual for them to run hot and kick up the fans at first, but I've found Yosemite to be very excessive in this department.

As I normally do with new OS's I left it running over night hoping that it would be all ready the next morning. After restarting the computer (rMBP) the fans where still running fairly high (±4000rpm) and it was still pretty hot (±95ºC) with no user tasks running.
Spotlight appears to have completed its indexing, so I was wondering what could be causing this?

Last edited:

ryanfuse

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2014
did you do a clean install?

Also boot into safe mode to see if its still hot, sometimes an outdated app caused this kind of issue.

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2014
Cape Town
did you do a clean install?

Unfortunately I did not do a clean install as I recently lost my time machine drive.

Also boot into safe mode to see if its still hot, sometimes an outdated app caused this kind of issue.

Booting into safe mode does not result in the fans spinning up due to heat, so I guess I just need to find out which of my apps is causing it. How would you suggest I go about finding which app it is? I have removed all my log in items, but that doesn't solve the problem :confused:

Last edited:

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2014
Cape Town
In case it helps, the processes in activity monitor using the most CPU are:
Screen Shot 2014-10-18 at 8.36.58 AM.png

sookainian

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2008
Singapore
You're not alone... I'm also experiencing the same issue. Im using Retina Macbook pro mid 2012 with Yosemite and i notice the laptop run warmer and get hot easily...

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2014
Cape Town
Resolved

This seems to have fixed it for me, temperature is immediately down to ±60ºC and fans are spinning at a quite ±2100rpm.

After looking at my console I realized that it was completely filled with these two lines: Screen Shot 2014-10-18 at 8.57.16 AM.png

So I tried to navigate to that file, but finder told me that I do not have permission to view it, so instead I navigated to /Library/Application Support/ . Once here I found the 'syslogagent' file and gave myself read/write privileges.
Almost instantly after applying these changes, my fans spooled down:D

Thinking retrospectively repairing disk permissions via Disk Utility may have fixed this problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.