Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I like Yosemite, but that doesn't stop me from being genuinely astonished that it has made it into the current build with such a glaring (at least to me) slow Wifi issue. Download speeds always hover just over 10 Mb/s on both my Retina iMac and 13" rMBP. Researching a fix I came up with the command sudo ifconfig awdl0 down and this brought the speed back to what it should be. However, it is only a temporary fix and leaves me with AirDrop which only works in "Older Mac" mode.

Is there a more permanent fix to this that doesn't partially disable AirDrop?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I like Yosemite, but that doesn't stop me from being genuinely astonished that it has made it into the current build with such a glaring (at least to me) slow Wifi issue. Download speeds always hover just over 10 Mb/s on both my Retina iMac and 13" rMBP. Researching a fix I came up with the command sudo ifconfig awdl0 down and this brought the speed back to what it should be. However, it is only a temporary fix and leaves me with AirDrop which only works in "Older Mac" mode.

Is there a more permanent fix to this that doesn't partially disable AirDrop?

What was the WiFi speed like when you first setup the retina iMac before you installed anything on it? Or is the case that from the moment you powered on the retina iMac the WiFi was slow?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
What was the WiFi speed like when you first setup the retina iMac before you installed anything on it? Or is the case that from the moment you powered on the retina iMac the WiFi was slow?

I don't know for sure, all I can say is that both my Retina iMac and 13" rMBP experience this issue. I don't think anything I have installed on both machines would cause this, especially since disabling AirDrop seems to fix it.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I don't know for sure, all I can say is that both my Retina iMac and 13" rMBP experience this issue. I don't think anything I have installed on both machines would cause this, especially since disabling AirDrop seems to fix it.

If you want to try an experiment. Create a separate partition on your internal hard drive and install 10.10.2 on it. Boot to the new partition, setup it up but don't install anything new. How is the WiFi speeds on the clean partition?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.