Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aross0531

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2014
Person I quoted in the original of this post - my apologies I misread your post and thought you were a Windows user just trolling the forum lol....

Any resolution to this?

kevinds1212

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2014
Disconnecting all external devices including keyboard and mouse...

Has anyone else thought of disconnecting all external devices like keyboard and mouse? I just did that after 6 attempts unsuccessfully for it hanging up even after clearing PRAM and SCM on Mac Pro Tower after fresh install of Yosemite.

It booted up within 30 seconds and the progress indicator was very fast. Maybe that is just for this machine and not a general fix for anyone else. Please update this thread if it works for anyone else as I am reloading other Mac Pro Towers for the Media Dept at the Job. Don't want to do that unless I know it really works for others as well.

Sangoma

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2012
I'm gonna blame VirtualBox. After I had problems after running it, I completely uninstalled it and reinstalled it again. My Macbook Pro is running Yosemite like a dream (for 1 week anyway). The best I had before was three days.

IA64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
let me share with you my experience. I had exactly the same issue and Yosemite destroyed my iMac and bootcamp. It suddenly stopped booting with progress bar stuck,

There reason why it's stuck in my situation is because it's scanning the drive for errors, attempting to repair and failing.

Check my thread :

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1818671/

Necronn99

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2014
The fix

The fix is CMD,ALT P , R on boot.

That is it.

I was working on my laptop all night. When I was done I shut it down and went to bed. Whenever I got up this morning though and turned on my MacBook Pro it loaded the progress bar to 50% (as usual) and paused. I wasn't surprised it paused, but after I went to get something to eat and I came back, it was still at the boot screen with the progress bar at 50%. So I thought "I'll hard shutdown and see if it boots this time", after doing so I get the same result, this time I just thought to myself patience would be the key, so I sat and waited, and then my cursor came up on the boot screen.
I can move the cursor around and about, but nothing is happening.
Yes, I know Yosemite is beta, and you shouldn't install it on work machines, but I needed Xcode6-beta and that was the only way to get it. I have a lot of important files on this computer and restoring isn't going to be an option I'll be fond of.

aross0531

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2014
The fix is CMD,ALT P , R on boot.

That is it.

No resetting the PRAM does not fix the issue - might have worked for you but not for me, and I've seen other forums of the same issue and PRAM reset wasn't it.

Booting up I just quit plugging the peripherals and it works but I shouldn't have to do that to log in, that's never been an issue before.

Shutting down still no resolution.

EDIT: I may just need to reinstall the OS, don't want to lol, but might fix. And then on the flip side it could very well be a bug Apple needs to update out.

PJT76

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2014
Same problem; tried all the basic suggestions on here, nothing worked. Taking it to a professional today. Will post the fix when he tells me the problem. #

bigchief.ch

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2014
In case somebody is interested, I had the same problem with Yosemite on a Macbook Pro 15' mid-2012, stuck in boot at 50 %. Impossible to boot with any technique, I had to reinstall it a number of times.

After hours of research and countless installations, I've found that the problem was in the Yosemite update called "Canon inkjet printers software update" version 3.1

If I install the update the Mac cannot boot anymore. I've deleted all canon printers defined on the Mac to be sure that no update will take place.

PJT76

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2014
HD fail

So, I got the problem most folk on here have.

Took it to a mac dude and I needed a new HD; I mentioned that a lot of people have had the problem since dl'ing Yosemite...he said probs a case of straw breaking camels back.

Got a new HD, saved all my stuff, MacBook Pro (late '11) works perfectly.

Sangoma

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2012
I just did a clean install and then recovered my user data. It's been running smoothly for a few weeks now. For some reason an upgrade did not work properly.

rcl2

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2015
Press n during reboot

We have good success with holding down the n key right after the start until the earth symbol appears.

Good luck.

deafult

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2015
Here is what works for me on a Mac mini....

unplug wired ethernet cable, reboot (normal speed again), then plug cable back in.

perkhouse

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2015
Angola (Africa, not Indiana)
We have several 2015 Macbook Pros with Yosemite that are exhibiting this behavior.
None are running FileVault.
None have external devices connected.
Resetting PRAM does nothing.
Safe-boot does nothing.

Come on Apple... REALLY???

Andre S.

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2015
yosemite stuck at loading OS X

I installed Yosemite on two other macbook (macbook pro 2012 and macbook air 2012) everything went well, and I tried to install it on my macbook pro core duo, it stuck/freeze when i try to boot from usb that contain the dmg file. so try to switch back to original hard drive hope it solve the problem, it stuck/freeze on the circle wheel. try to do PRAM rest, and drain the battery, still the same thing. I thought the RAM failed, change the ram still the same thing.. can't believe of what happened, I grab another macbook pro core duo do exactly something with the exact result... INSANITY IS DOING SOMETHING OVER AND OVER AGAIN EXPECTING DIFFERENT RESULT. any help??

Andre S.

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2015
Hey there all!
Yes it does seem to be a problem with the Intel Core Duo series of Macbook Pros. I have two, long story, my first one's wifi broke (no hardware installed issue as always), then after that I brought it into a reseller who was like THE Mac Guru who told me my motherboard was fried.. After changing my wifi card a month earlier!
Well anyways back to the story, yes after installation I realised there again came the no wifi hardware installed, which seems to be the harbinger of troubles. Being the smart alec i tried using disk utility to verify and fix disk permissions, which returned that I had loads of problems and had to do it in recovery mode. Did that. It returned everything was fixed. Big smile. Reboot and Soon enough my comp the was not booting at all. Fed up, tried everything and then my cousins one broke in pretty much same fashion!
Guru asked him to reinstall snow leopard and then work his installs back up to Yosemite again. Gasp.
In the end I took out the back cover and disconnected the batt, took it out (they say you're not supposed to on this machine but I figured I had backup spares from my fried motherboard machine). I then took out the RAM, both, and left it for about a day or two. After reassembly suddenly the thang was working back like normal! Only thing is that the blasted No wifi problem still persists.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.