Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walkie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Hi All, as we all know last monday Apple brought out a new programming language called 'Swift', they said that this language was several times faster than Objective-C, so I'm curious to know whether parts of Yosemite are being compiled in Swift or not, if so maybe this could be translated in a performance gain, so what do guys think about it?

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Hi All, as we all know last monday Apple brought out a new programming language called 'Swift', they said that this language was several times faster than Objective-C, so I'm curious to know whether parts of Yosemite are being compiled in Swift or not, if so maybe this could be translated in a performance gain, so what do guys think about it?

I don't think it is. There have been a lot of changes in Yosemite in under a year. It's already a design, programming and engineering marvel. Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but Swift is iOS-exclusive as of now.

walkie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
I don't think it is. There have been a lot of changes in Yosemite in under a year. It's already a design, programming and engineering marvel. Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but Swift is iOS-exclusive as of now.

I'm not sure if Swift is only for iOS, I thought it was for the whole Mac Platform, I know most OS's have C and C++ code underneath but some parts can certainly be coded in any language.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
...correct me if I'm wrong, but Swift is iOS-exclusive as of now.
From https://developer.apple.com/swift/
Swift is an innovative new programming language for Cocoa and Cocoa Touch. Writing code is interactive and fun, the syntax is concise yet expressive, and apps run lightning-fast. Swift is ready for your next iOS and OS X project — or for addition into your current app — because Swift code works side-by-side with Objective-C.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
I don't think it is. There have been a lot of changes in Yosemite in under a year. It's already a design, programming and engineering marvel.

You can be pretty sure all of 10.10 is still in either C/C++ (core stuff like kernel and libraries) and Objective C (Cocoa-related things).

Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but Swift is iOS-exclusive as of now.

You are most certainly wrong.

ScottishDuck

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
Argyll, Scotland
I would doubt they rewrote the OS or really any of it as yet.

Will they? Yeah probably. But I would look at the pace of the 64-bit transition, even now parts of the OS have yet to be ported but they are slowly getting there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.