Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ethosik

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
I am sure this is known, but this has been a major issue of mine for a VERY long time. When I am running a Windows system, I always issue a Windows Key + L to lock when I step away. Having to deal with hot corners and hacking it to work on macOS was an issue.

Now you can lock without needing to do all of that. It is in the Apple menu at the top. Just issue a Control + Command + Q.

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
As much as Mac is touted for its security I found the lack of this odd. In an office environment this is a pretty necessary feature.

nightcap965

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Cape Cod
Huh? You've always been able to lock the screen. Ctrl-Shift-Eject or Ctrl-Shift-Power, depending upon the version of the keyboard you're using.

Reactions: msephton

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
Huh? You've always been able to lock the screen. Ctrl-Shift-Eject or Ctrl-Shift-Power, depending upon the version of the keyboard you're using.

It’s not the same. Locking just means you have to provide credentials to use the machine. Sleeping the display isn’t the same. It can be close, but only if you set it to require a password when waking. Personally I like to see the screen indicate a password is needed so I know it is. From a security standpoint I think that is much better.

Reactions: tkermit

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
But with Sierra on Touchbar models: can you lock the screen like this?

Last edited:

Ethosik

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009

No, that just puts the screen to sleep. To actually take you to a password prompt, this is a new feature. I want to lock the screen without putting my entire display to sleep.

Yes this is not new. Google is your friend.

I have googled it and even asked here. I was told the only way to accomplish this in the past was to set up a hot corner, tell it to use the screen saver, and have the password prompt immediately after a screen saver appears.

Reactions: tkermit

Ethosik

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
You could always turn on a menu extra (in Keychain Preferences) that gave you a true screen lock. Moving that to the Apple menu is a nice little improvement.

A.

Yep. What I meant was that this is now default without needing to change any settings. Is that keychain preferences menu extra new? I asked a few years ago about how to lock the screen and just got answers that a hot corner was needed.

Reactions: Morpheo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.