Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
the new line up of Macs after the intel transition will be as follows.
mac book, mac book pro, mac, mac pro, mac mini
just a guess. it would be nice if they would make it simple like that.

ericssonboi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
You state that "the intel transition will be as follows".
But then you state its a Guess...

Terrible :cool:

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
you forgot iMac...they kept that name so that would dismiss mac unless they introduce an another in between model (like the former Performa line). Also, I would venture a guess that the mini will become a HTC and probably get renamed.

Something like mac book pro, mac book, mac pro, iMac, and iHome (taken right?)/iMedia/mac HT? maybe?

KREX725

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2003
kingjr3 said:
you forgot iMac...they kept that name so that would dismiss mac unless they introduce an another in between model (like the former Performa line). Also, I would venture a guess that the mini will become a HTC and probably get renamed.

Something like mac book pro, mac book, mac pro, iMac, and iHome (taken right?)/iMedia/mac HT? maybe?

Maybe they'll find a way to make the mini smaller and call it a nano. :p

Personally, I see them keeping iBook since they kept iMac. The PowerMac is anyone's guess after the MacBook title (which is going to take awhile to settle in my head).

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
there is only one thing i know to be true for this year...

and that's Apple will keep on billing my credit card every time the hold an special event

mac book pro - powermac
mac book - ibook
mac mac (lol) - powermac
iMac mac - iMac
mac mini mac - mac mini
mac e mac - eMac

this could get a little silly :D

supergod

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
I think this makes more sense, or rather, is less obviously ridiculous:

MacBook Pro, MacBook Thin, Mac Mini, iMac, PowerMac. No idea what Xserve would be called. Also, if and when they expand their multimedia hardware, releasing hubs and what not, would it go under the Mac name, or the Pod name? For instance, they could have a whole line up: iPod, iPod nano, iPod shuffle, theaterPod, etc... to draw on the success of that name and not confuse the products with their mac core.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Allegedly Steve said all the new names will have Mac in them. So, iMac; MacBook Pro; later MacBook (fka iBook); Mac Pro (fka PowerMac); presumably Mac Server (fka Xserve). No need to change the name of the Mac mini. Dunno how many on MR, but there are about 5 threads on this topic at AppleInsider.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
TheMasin9 said:
i dont think this is the frist thread to post this name lineup. Start reading before you make a dumb post.

I did actually read first, my appologize for not being a perfect human being! wow. This was just for fun!

Daedalus256

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
6914708 said:
I did actually read first, my appologize for not being a perfect human being! wow. This was just for fun!

You don't have to be a perfect human being, you just have to learn how to read a message boad and make threads accordingly. This information has been posted countless times in countless threads, so it wasn't like it was in one single place.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I think people are being a little harsh on the OP. While there might have been other threads relating to this topic, there's no need to be rude about it. Just say something along the lines of "here's a link to a similar thread.....".

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Apple is historically known for muddling the bloody hell out of their product names (see Power Mac G3 vs. Power Mac G3 series, Powerbook G3 vs. Powerbook G3 series, et cetera). I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Apple continue to use non-distinct product names like MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, MacServe, et cetera.

It does get people talking about their computers. "You have a Power Mac G4? With AGP or PCI? One processor or two? What's the bus speed? What does it look like? No, I still have no ****ing clue which one you have..."

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
It would be an incredibly stupid move to name of their macs "Mac". People would say, "I have a Mac" and....imagine the confusion. Besides, why would they ever do that? Then Steve Jobs can't refer to Mac as "the Mac" because people would think he was referring to that specific model.

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
ITASOR said:
It would be an incredibly stupid move to name of their macs "Mac". People would say, "I have a Mac" and....imagine the confusion. Besides, why would they ever do that? Then Steve Jobs can't refer to Mac as "the Mac" because people would think he was referring to that specific model.
I agree with Itasor, it would be far more confusing to consumers if all apples computer names were just variations of the word mac, And i hardly believe that apple will call a product just mac.
-"I have a mac"
-"What kind of mac?"
-"A mac"
-"Ok?"
It can lead to very confusing people.
Also, I really dont see a reason why apple will change the name of the Powermac or imac. Steve said that he wants "mac" in all of the computers, well both of those already satisfy that. Also when steve said that they arent concerned with "Power" anymore, maybe he was just talking about the Macbook.

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
theBB said:
Someone suggested "BigMac" on another thread. That one is better, don't you think?

Does this mean that the mini is going to be renamed the MacNugget, and iLife will be the Happy Meal?

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Actually, this dogmatic mac mac maccery is at the wrong end..

It should go iMac, MacPro , NoteMac, NoteMac Pro, Xmac (Smack?), and future portable devices could be HandMac, TabMac, PadMac, PodMac and PhoneMac

what a load of CrapMac!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.