Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moshiiii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Sarasota, FL
IMG_0628.jpg

The sides on the top are warped up. When its closed theres a decent space between the top and the bottom. Anyone else have this problem? Are the new models with magnets preventing this?

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
There have been a number of threads about this and it seems to be a problem with every MBP, and PB for that matter.

Its just a cosmetic design flaw though, I know I still want one. :D

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Moshiiii said:
View attachment 56287

The sides on the top are warped up. When its closed theres a decent space between the top and the bottom. Anyone else have this problem? Are the new models with magnets preventing this?
Its a problem to some degree with every notebook I have seen. Some designs just make it less noticeable.

worriedmac

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2006
This really annoys me too. I love having such a thin machine but on one side its raised and eighth of an inch. its shoddy work really and I'm probably going to end breaking my powerbook trying to coax it into laying flat.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Don't look at your clothes too closely or you might find a thread out of place, and seeing you run around nude would be a distraction -- because we'd be pointing out flaws on your body.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Sun Baked said:
Don't look at your clothes too closely or you might find a thread out of place, and seeing you run around nude would be a distraction -- because we'd be pointing out flaws on your body.

Lol, instead of that I'd just see to Moshii: "DUDE! YOU BOUGHT A DELL!"

Enough said.

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
Thats nothing. I got a brand new Dell laptop from work about a year ago. The cheap plastic latch never, ever, EVER stays closed. That thing makes my MBP seem like a Stradivarius. :cool:

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
You want to talk about shoddy built notebooks...try the Dell Inspiron 600m, the monitor is so weak if I pushed I'd break the plastic. I could bend the frakking screen for gosh sakes. :mad:

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
Looks better than the G4 Al book warps. Looks like they have updated the stampings. I'll grap a snap of my mr. warpy tomorrow when my camera is back.

Moshiiii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Sarasota, FL
xPismo said:
Looks better than the G4 Al book warps. Looks like they have updated the stampings. I'll grap a snap of my mr. warpy tomorrow when my camera is back.

leme see that pic

sonictruth

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
I've got an almost 3-yr old 17-in PowerBook, and the top, when closed, is floating about 1/16-in above the base of the laptop. Every PB I've seen since then is like this; I don't believe they close tightly and flush against the base. It has seemed awkward to me since day 1, but that's the way it is. I would also bet that that's why sleeves exist for Apple laptops...

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
What about the Sony VAIO TX Series? The screens on them are so thin and flimsy I could literally twist them. Sure, it's small and light, but I feel like if I drop one it will just shatter like glass.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Mine has something similar and that doesn't bother me so much (although I suppose it should - even one of my two year old VAIOs is ruler-straight), but also the bottom case is warped downwards on the right hand side. It won't sit flat on a flat surface.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I have the exact same problem. It doesn't bug me too much. After having a PowerBook with a caved-in slot-loading drive, this seems almost invisible to me.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
Ya, i wouldn't really worry about it. When I first found out that mine didn't close completely, I was angry and disappointed w/ it for about a week and since i've gotten over it. If you go to the Apple Store and check out their display machines, they have it too. Most do.

I'm sure you can call AppleCare and have that taken care of, but most people find it to be a hassle to be w/o their machines for a week, so they just deal w/ it. I did :D

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Mine has the same problem....I just ignore it and carry it with my hand around the release latch so I don't notice it :)

But I assume that Apple finally took notice about the problems with the keys hitting the screen in the iBooks and Pizmos- after a while you could see marks in the screen where the edges of the keys were hitting every time you closed the thing.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
My MacBook is completely straight:D

I really hope the MBP screens aren't too wobly to have a magnetic latch. It's a very cool and time saving feature. Also makes the MacBook look a lot better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.