Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
You get bored and build a PHP form to send text msg's to your phone just to prove you could do it.
URL REMOVED (Who kept sending me msg's about cheese??) :rolleyes:
Now if only they hadn't disabled my web surfing :p Then it would work both ways and I'd never pay for a text again.

hmm I hope this isn't a violation of my TOS...

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
Blimey!

Cant think of how you'd even start going about something like that :D. But then I have only been toying with PHP for 2 weeks.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
pulsewidth947 said:
Blimey!

Cant think of how you'd even start going about something like that :D. But then I have only been toying with PHP for 2 weeks.

it was actually really simple. Since most cell phone #'s are attached to an e-mail address as well, ussuallly yournumber@yourcorier.com or something like that. One flaw I have is the 140 character limit for SMS ends up including the subject and from and name field. Thus eating up alot of the characters. I've still gotta play with it a bit.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
kingjr3 said:
Not to burst your geeky bubble, by my carrier already offers a web form for sending text messages.

http://usc.ztango.com/uscwmss

But this way you get to make up your own "terms and conditions":
U.S. Cellular Messaging Terms and Conditions

The following terms and conditions apply to U.S. Cellular's Mobile Messaging Services including but not limited to Text Messaging, Text Alerts, E-mail, and Ringtones:

A digital phone and service is required to use any Messaging Services. Messaging Services are not available on all rate plans. Users must be in their digital local calling area for service to work. For Text Messaging there is a 150-character limit per message. For Email there is a 400-character limit per message, and messages may be divided into separately delivered segments of approximately 150 characters. Character limits include punctuation, spaces, and words in the 'To' and 'From' blocks. Customers that activate service with a compatible phone and on a qualified calling plan will automatically have the ability to send and receive text messages with no monthly fee. However, a charge of 10 cents per outgoing message applies if no messaging package is selected or existing package limit is exceeded. There is no charge to receive messages. For Internet transmission, message content including your phone number may be intercepted by third parties.

U.S. Cellular is not responsible for the content of any messages sent or received by consumers. U.S. Cellular is under no obligation to monitor the information or content transmitted through Messaging Services. However, anyone using the Messaging Services agrees that U.S. Cellular may monitor these messages periodically for reasonable business purposes, including but not limited to; (1) complying with any applicable laws, regulations or other governmental orders; and (2) operating the Services properly or protecting itself and its Users. U.S. Cellular reserves the right to delete, reject, or eliminate in whole or in part any information available or transmitted through the Messaging Services that it, in its sole discretion, believes is unacceptable or in violation of these terms and conditions. Customers may elect to have messages blocked entirely. Blocking messages will disable the ability to send or receive text messages. User agrees not to violate any applicable law, regulation or rule. User agrees not to harass, offend, threaten, embarrass, distress or invade the privacy of any individual or entity. User agrees not to transmit any commercial, advertising or promotional materials, including without limitation, "spam" or mass distributions. User agrees not to transmit any material that infringes upon any third party's copyright, trademark, patent or other intellectual property right. Any violation of these terms and conditions shall be deemed a material breach of User's contract with U.S. Cellular and may lead to termination of User's contract, or suspension of User's Messaging Services.

Functionality may depend on other carrier's networks and phones. U.S. Cellular does not guarantee message delivery, timeliness, or that Messaging Services will be available at all times. U.S. Cellular is not responsible for messages that are lost or misdirected.

Messages that are sent to other carriers' networks are subject to that carrier's message delivery policy. Certain variables could affect delivery of text messages, including restrictions on the recipient's account or unforeseen delays in another carrier's text messaging platform.

Customers may occasionally receive promotional, informational, or service related text messages from U.S. Cellular at no cost to the customer. Any customer no longer wishing to receive such messages may contact customer service at 888-944-9400, or send an email to donottext@uscellular.com. While you may elect not to receive marketing and promotional information from U.S. Cellular via text message, you may still continue to receive service related notifications, or other similar information.

U.S. Cellular will revise and update these terms and conditions from time to time as we change existing services or add new services. If you have any questions about these terms and conditions please contact a customer service representative at (888) 944-9400.

... the less coparations know about us the better. :)

peace | neut

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.