Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperMatt

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 28, 2002
I just received that message in an email from Apple. I’ve had Apple TV+ “free” since it started since I bought an iPhone shortly before it came out.

Did anybody else get the same message?

SuperMatt

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 28, 2002
D’oh I didn’t see that... thanks.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
It's kind of annoying that it's considered part of the Apple One subscription since Apple TV+ is free. I'm not complaining about it being free but if they want to make Apple One a good value they need to include more paid stuff and not pretend the free stuff is part of the value. This being said I have Apple One but mostly because I'm just lazy and don't want to manage a bunch of subscriptions and not because of the value.

jaack

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2016
It's kind of annoying that it's considered part of the Apple One subscription since Apple TV+ is free. I'm not complaining about it being free but if they want to make Apple One a good value they need to include more paid stuff and not pretend the free stuff is part of the value. This being said I have Apple One but mostly because I'm just lazy and don't want to manage a bunch of subscriptions and not because of the value.
That's why Apple are crediting $4.99 for every month it's free to Apple One subscribers

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
That's why Apple are crediting $4.99 for every month it's free to Apple One subscribers

Yup, just got the email myself.

a5f74efb59535ae4ce8cac3627b7753d.png

Reactions: jaack

sporadic

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
Hereford, UK.
I have a question around this. My wife has the free apple tv+ offer, I don't although the benefits of using it appear to be shared within the family. I am the family sharing organiser so if I were to subscribe to the apple one family plan will she start receiving a rebate for the apple tv+ component or is it not smart enough to work this out?

jaack

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2016
I have a question around this. My wife has the free apple tv+ offer, I don't although the benefits of using it appear to be shared within the family. I am the family sharing organiser so if I were to subscribe to the apple one family plan will she start receiving a rebate for the apple tv+ component or is it not smart enough to work this out?
If you were to subscribe to Apple One then the $4.99 would be credited to your Apple ID every month. You'd need to subscribe on her Apple ID if you want her to receive the $4.99 credit.

sporadic

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
Hereford, UK.
If you were to subscribe to Apple One then the $4.99 would be credited to your Apple ID every month. You'd need to subscribe on her Apple ID if you want her to receive the $4.99 credit.
Oh fine, that works. Everything is paid from a joint card anyway so it doesn't matter who gets the rebate, just that someone does.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Just received this email as well, for me watching absolutely 0 seconds on AppleTV+. :D Oh well, thanks Apple. Hope that helps with your quarterly numbers.

Mercifull

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Just received this email as well, for me watching absolutely 0 seconds on AppleTV+. :D Oh well, thanks Apple. Hope that helps with your quarterly numbers.
You really ought to give some of the shows a try. The quality is astounding... the quantity, however, is surely lacking... and that's not just the fault of covid, it was slow to rollout even before that.

Back on topic though; my trial was extended at some point in the last few days as well. I originally signed up on 28th January 2020 and it now displays as expiring on 26th July

Reactions: nico.ha1

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
I still haven’t got the extension of the free trial. Subscription still says it’ll expire Feb 28 :/
Check your subscriptions on your apple account, it took a couple of weeks before I received the email, but I could see that the free trail had been extended. Though there are only a few things I have watched, but the quality of the productions is top.

I wonder if they will release season 2 of Ted Lasso before it runs out? A real feelgood show during some dark times. Excellent!

Mercifull

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Check your subscriptions on your apple account, it took a couple of weeks before I received the email, but I could see that the free trail had been extended. Though there are only a few things I have watched, but the quality of the productions is top.

I wonder if they will release season 2 of Ted Lasso before it runs out? A real feelgood show during some dark times. Excellent!
Its certainly a possibility from a production perspective. Filming has already begun and principal photography probably only lasts a few weeks. It’s not a vfx heavy show so post production shouldn’t be too difficult. But tv shows can often sit “in the can” for a while before release it will depend on the controller to determine when that release will be.

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Did any apple one subscriber get the 4,99 credit so far?

Nothing so far, kept checking my AppleID through iTunes on iPad/Music.app on mac.
At this point, I’m assuming the first rebate will co-incident with the February AppleOne subscription payment.

Rigsby

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2007
Nothing so far, kept checking my AppleID through iTunes on iPad/Music.app on mac.
At this point, I’m assuming the first rebate will co-incident with the February AppleOne subscription payment.

I've not had anything, my Feb payment was on 2nd. I did raise it with Support (not a huge deal given the vast sums I give Apple each year, but may as well ask) but was told that even though I had an Apple One Premier I wasn't eligible because I had an Apple TV+ trial.

Even after the ticket was escalated they were quite insistent that there was no rebate because I was getting Apple TV+ for free. It seems they view the TV+ component of Apple One as a trial, rather than as one of the bundled services.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
i have the tv sub for buying an tv, until May i think, but I never watch tv
mine expires June 5th, but night buy an iTouch soon, or before june 5th
incase  makes something worthy to watch on tv

Last edited:

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
In case it hasn't been stated umpteen times before. You only get a free subscription once. Buying more devices will not qualify you for another free subscription UNLESS it is on an completely different Apple ID and in a completely different household.

So many people seem to think they can have a perpetual free subscription just by buying a new device again. Apple certainly would love you to buy more of their products, but don't be upset when they don't award you with another free subscription.

Basically everyone has been on an extended subscription... I don't know of too many who have actually paid for a subscription who qualified for the free subscription in the first place. When the free ride is over, that's when Apple will find out how many actual subscribers it has.

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
So that’s why I have a credit of 4.99 on my itunes account? Heh, if i don’t touch until June i can buy my tv show that way!!!

When i was browsing through itunes on my desktop yesterday I saw the credit but today I got the email confirmation

pkamb

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2011
Seattle
I want to cancel my Apple TV+ free trial so that I'm never charged to renew, but they keep extending the deadline.

If you cancel, you immediately lose access to Apple TV+ (unlike every other subscription in the App Store). So I don't want to cancel until right before the date, even though I never really use it.

Kind of annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.