Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattGTO

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2008
Mckinney, Texas
On another thread someone said the bioshock was on the way for the iPhone. Now, if this were done right, it would be far from a game suitable for little jimmy on his new iPod. How does apple plan to rate official game titles in the appstore?

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
On another thread someone said the bioshock was on the way for the iPhone. Now, if this were done right, it would be far from a game suitable for little jimmy on his new iPod. How does apple plan to rate official game titles in the appstore?

Through their own ratings system that exists on every single page. And it also warns you that what you're purchasing is not suitable for people under 17 on some apps.

ESRB doesn't need to get involved.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
The ESRB is entirely voluntary, though Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft require games on their systems to have been rated by it. But it also costs money and takes time, so Apple's ratings, where the developer can just check the rating they want, or even ignore that altogether if they want, is what most companies would prefer.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
I disagree. The ESRB may not be perfect, but it is what keeps the government from getting serious about trying to regulate videogames, and is a good thing to let clueless parents know what games may not be suitable for their kids.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
I disagree. The ESRB may not be perfect, but it is what keeps the government from getting serious about trying to regulate videogames, and is a good thing to let clueless parents know what games may not be suitable for their kids.

I don't want to engage in a lengthy debate about this but countries which have ratings systems backed by law see less lawsuits against developers and publishers when someone underage blames a title for their mindless actions.

It's perfectly legal for a child to walk into Gamestop and walk out with Bioshock, Grand Theft Auto IV etc. in the USA.

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA

Oh, I completely agree. Government should NOT be involved.

superstrikertwo

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2008
California
I don't want to engage in a lengthy debate about this but countries which have ratings systems backed by law see less lawsuits against developers and publishers when someone underage blames a title for their mindless actions.

It's perfectly legal for a child to walk into Gamestop and walk out with Bioshock, Grand Theft Auto IV etc. in the USA.

Then why did I have to wait to turn 17 to be able to buy one? They won't let you have the game unless you are at said age.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA

There should be no such thing as a clueless parent, that is most of the problem these days as many parents have become lazy and want the government and other related organizations to guide them.

It isn't hard to pick up a game and see it isn't suitable for your 6 year old or whatver the age may be!

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Then why did I have to wait to turn 17 to be able to buy one? They won't let you have the game unless you are at said age.
Depends on the state. Some states have laws against selling a M-rated game to minors. Other states don't have a law so it is just store policy to not sell those games to minors. In other words, some stores check IDs more closely than others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.