Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdavis501

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2019
For the last 9 months I’ve been able to press (while iPhone X screen is locked) the steering wheel voice button (hold down for 3 sec) and say send text message or check my schedule and Siri works.

Now, if my phone screen is locked I get, “You’ll need to unlock your cellphone first, and I don’t advise doing that while driving “.
Only change I know of is change in system operating system (update).

Any thoughts?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I think the update is to address the issue of Siri being accessible from the locked iPhone and used to retrieve personal data.

With that being said, it is still possible to reply message from lock screen. I am not sure if Siri will work when that option is enabled or not cause I don’t use Siri.

mdavis501

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2019
There is an option to allow Siri when phone is locked, and I have that on. So, your comment makes no sense to me. Sorry.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
USB or Bluetooth connection? Wild guess, if USB, the lock if not unlocked in last 1 or 2 hours option might be blocking. That with possible combo of DnD While Driving options.

Or: might want to go to Siri settings, toggle Siri while locked, shutdown, restart. Maybe will unstick what might be stuck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.