Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VictoryHighway

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
Hopedale, MA
I know that Apple is trying to plug Apple Music, but lately it seems that every time I request Siri to play music that is stored locally on my iPhone, I get a stupid response (see subject). Is anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas on how to disable Apple Music integration altogether? I don stream music, nor do I intend to.

scud42

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2013
I’ve gotten this same thing lately. I’m not an  music subscriber, and have a mix of both personal music, and music bought through iTunes. It’s not every artist, but for many of them I see this same message. Quite frustrating when trying to play a particular song through CarPlay.

Did you ever come across a resolution?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Working for me, though it tried to play initially in my 3rd party podcast app (and could not find it) since that’s what was being used at the time.

”play songtitle in Music app” took me to correct app and correct song in there on every attempt.

Oh and: no Apple Music sub, but do have Match.

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
Apple Music's bizarre way of blending local files with streaming is absolutely infuriating. I have a lot of albums that are rare editions or remasters that aren't on Apple Music, yet even though the files are ON MY PHONE, it still chooses to stream the Apple Music version instead when I click Play.

It made me so mad I rebuilt an iPod Mini with a 256GB flash card and it's been painless and perfect. Everything Apple Music isn't.

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
Apple Music is fine as long as you use it exactly as they intended it to be used and you don't try to do anything out of the ordinary. It works fine for me; no complaints here.
Siri, however, is a stupid, useless piece of trash. It used to be borderline usable a few years ago, but it got worse and worse as time went by.

Last edited:
Reactions: TwistedGleam

scud42

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2013
So I think I discovered a workaround for those having this issue.

If Siri responds to you by saying you need to update your subscription when asking her a music question (e.g “Hey Siri, play artist Etta James”), change your request to include the phase “from my library” at the end of it.

So far this has worked, but still pretty annoying having to do it twice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.