Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Your 2 most important, must-have devices, assuming you've already got an iPhone and at least one Mac

• iPad

• AirTags

• Apple TV

• AirPods / AirPods Pro

• HomePod / HomePod mini

• Apple Watch / Watch Ultra

• iPod

• AirPods Max

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jay Tee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2023
Just got some AirTags, great device. Can't live without it now.

Although the iPhone and Mac are essential and keep the lights ON at Apple, what other devices add to this essential Apple experience?

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just got some AirTags, great device. Can't live without it now.
You forgot the legendary iPod.

Personally, I recommend that you add it - even though it is no longer manufactured, marketed, or sold.

Many of us would never have been introduced to Apple devices, or arrived at the world of Apple without the gateway to Apple that the iPod supplied.

Anyway, I still have an iPod, and could not live without it, or an mp3 player. (No, the Cloud is not for me).

You will find many on these threads (of a more mature demographic, granted), who lament the passing of the iPod, and who adored the iPod Nano (a gorgeous and exceedingly portable device).

Moreover, I love my MBA (now, that is a device I could never do without, and is a device that should also be added to your list, for this is very much still extant in Apple's one-up).

Yes, I know that you define your thread as "important devices" while also "assuming (everyone has) an iPhone and a Mac". I'd add them: They are what one would regard as important, utter necessities. Everything else on your list is optional, perhaps desirable (although not by me), found under the "optional extra" heading.

Mind you, while I love my MBA (and it surprises me that it has not made your list), I am rather struck by the fact that none of the other items on your list - not one - would find a place on any my own personal list of "important" devices.

Last edited:

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Definitely my iPad Pro and my watch. My iPad is an extension of my workstation I use for my work (character design) and my Patreon. I love having it nearby so I can sketch out ideas or work on projects on the couch or when we're out camping or what not. My watch has been pretty integral to my weight loss and now I feel naked without it.

Reactions: Jay Tee

Jay Tee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2023
Anyway, I still have an iPod, and could not live without it, or an mp3 player. (No, the Cloud is not for me).

You will find many on these threads (of a more mature demographic, granted), who lament the passing of the iPod, and who adored the iPod Nano (a gorgeous and exceedingly portable device).

I didn't realise the iPod Touch got discontinued only in 2022, I've included it in the poll now.

Yes, I know that you define your thread as "important devices" while also "assuming (everyone has) an iPhone and a Mac". I'd add them: They are what one would regard as important, utter necessities. Everything else on your list is optional, perhaps desirable (altthough not by me), found under the "optional extra" heading.

Mind you, while I love my MBA (and it surprises me that it has not made your list), I am rather struck by the fact that none of the other items on your list - not one - would find a place on any my own personal list of "important" devices.

I see what you're saying, but my idea was to focus away from Apple's obvious bread-and-butter products: given that the Mac and iPhone work so well together, what other products do people find adds most value to the experience.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I didn't realise the iPod Touch got discontinued only in 2022, I've included it in the poll now.
Very good.

I have an iPod Touch, and I still use my iPod classic (still going strong, what an amazing device, one which played a genuinely transformational role in my life).
I see what you're saying, but my idea was to focus away from Apple's obvious bread-and-butter products: given that the Mac and iPhone work so well together, what other products do people find adds most value to the experience.
Okay.

Fair enough.

None, I'm afraid, is my answer to the question you have asked.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
AW for me. It’s the Apple product that keeps me fit and motivates me.
I’ve cast my second vote for my AirPod Pros. I use them for exercising. More convenient than wires, but they are not that revolutionary.
Still use my superior QC35’s for work though.
I can take it or leave it for my iPad. I prefer to use my Mac mini at a desk with a proper keyboard, mouse and a couple of 27” screens.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
No Electronics diversity? lol. I have Windows systems too that's equally as important. Or was this poll strictly for Apple Ecosystem?

fanboy-ish

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2022
Apple Watch, being epileptic it helps me keep track of my sleep and it gives me some layer of peace of mind knowing that if I have a seizure where there's no one around, my emergency contacts will be informed I need help.

Second vote goes to the AirPods Pro, being able to isolate from the world and relax listening to music is very important to me.

Jay Tee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2023
No Electronics diversity? lol. I have Windows systems too that's equally as important. Or was this poll strictly for Apple Ecosystem?

I'm afraid so, otherwise the poll's list-of-options would be far too long.

Also, I wanted to know if Apple's other devices add a lot of value to us who've already benefited from the Mac+iPhone synergy; things may have changed over the last few years, but iCloud really does tie the ecosystem together nicely.

Last edited:

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
I guess after my phone and Macs, the next most important items and used are my air pods and Apple TV 4K. I used my airpod pros for work mostly. Phone calls on both my iphone and Teams meetings. And I stream a lot of shows/films on my Apple TV 4k.

Jay Tee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2023
Don't own a cell phone. Cellular iPad mini with Voip app and buds cover my telephony needs just fine.
Huh ! That's a novel approach.

I never thought of replacing the iPhone with a cellular iPad.

Very interesting indeed, especially if you've also got the Folio Keyboard.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Works just fine for me. It's not for everyone- nothing is for everyone- but iPad and even Macs can easily stand in as telephone and texting devices with VOIP software and any form of headphones/buds with mic.

Anyone reading this and doubting it should try downloading a free VOIP app (most will give you a phone number) and then text and call your phone. Then switch to your phone and text and call your iPad or Mac. Ta-dah!

jparchem

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2017
Works just fine for me. It's not for everyone- nothing is for everyone- but iPad and even Macs can easily stand in as telephone and texting devices with VOIP software and any form of headphones/buds with mic.

Anyone reading this and doubting it should try downloading a free VOIP app (most will give you a phone number) and then text and call your phone. Then switch to your phone and text and call your iPad or Mac. Ta-dah!

Do you ever run into situations where carrying an iPad mini is still too large?

If you don't mind sharing, I'm curious what was the impetus behind this approach? Many years ago, I tried this with an iPad 2 and an iOS app called Talkatone. Nothing like walking around the mall with a big old iPad up to my ear (I had forgotten my wired EarPods). The stares! lol. I didn't care however, and I think I might have stuck with it longer, but back then the cellular connection was really spotty and it impacted my ability to have reliable communication.

Does it work well enough with emergency calling (such as 911 here in the U.S.?)

Kudos to you for this. Love hearing these kinds of creative ways of challenging the status quo.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I don't but I'm not glued to it either. It fits in suit pockets (or coat pockets in the winter) just fine. Else, it occupies a hand or I just tuck it under an arm. However, I'm quick to leave it in the car in social situations as I don't want to be semi-present around others anyway.

I've NEVER held it up to my ear for a call. Since it doubles as phone, I always have buds or similar with me. If they happened to be unexpectedly dead/lost, I'd just let a call go to voice mail and call back later... or text back immediately.

I started doing this with iPad 2 and now 6. The impetus is that it fully scratches the telephony itch well enough without the enormous (relative) cost. The hardware costs less than iPhone, generally lasts longer than iPhone and 5G data costs substantially less on it than 5G phone service (I average $25 per YEAR). While I can easily afford the cost of iPhone and iPhone service and the "long in tooth" effect driving iPhone upgrades more frequently, I'd rather keep all that spare money in my pocket... or put it towards other Apple goodies.

In over 30 years of adult life, I've never had to call 911 ONE time. And I believe that is true for most people. However, if I needed to do so, there is E911, which is not quite the same but not far off. I also have my local emergency services setup for the equivalent of speed dial, so push one button instead of 3 if local. I also assume another participant in a 911 scenario... so unless the accident is really me alone, the other party will likely be able to dial it (too) and/or anyone else witnessing the event.

Are there negatives? YES. iPad is not as pocketable, cameras are not as good, while it has ApplePay I can't use it for tap payments, it doesn't set up a Watch (but I choose not to have Watch), it doesn't run CarPlay (even though it is apparently in iPad OS- just not active), no satt emergency, no vibrate mode, etc.

On the other hand, I buy a new one about every 4 generations (or about every 8 years) for less cost than a single new iPhone. I pay $25/yr for 5G ultra cell service. Nobody on the other end can tell I'm using an iPad instead of an iPhone. Paired with the Obihai device, my entire home's phone system works with the same number and free local & long distance in North America (including Alarm system and- while fading fast- the option to fax too). All apps generally function better- IMO- on a bigger screen.

Definitely not for everyone... but nothing tech is for everyone.

Last edited:

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Yes my iPhone comes in at number one. There is no way around the utility of the thing. However sometimes I experience the huge dependency as a negative.

Second place goes to my AirPods Max. I use them when I'm working from home for music and calls, I use them with Apple TV for movies shows and YouTube. They might be my most used piece of tech and they enable a pleasant way of living in an otherwise noisy building and neighbourhood.

My Mac, Apple TV, AirPods Pro and iPad are not that important to me. I suppose I would pick Mac third (utility), ATV fourth (AirPods surround sound), AirPods Pro fifth (pocketability), iPad sixth (if I can remember were I last put it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.