Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Super Real

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2021
Hi, I'm an eternal Mac/Internet beginner.

Just earlier, I tried to use Apple Music for the first time on my MBP, and I tried to log on and got required my Apple ID and PW, so I typed them and then a window popped up which said "Your Apple ID is being used to sign in to a device near [my location]" with showing a map indicating a location in NJ next to NY (where I live in).

What is this??

I cancelled logging in then another popup window asked me if I want to change PW, so I did. My iPhone responded the action, too.

What is this?

My Apple ID or iCloud is being used by a hacker or something!?

What should I do?

Thank you very much in advance!

Last edited:

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
It most likely was not a hacker, it was reporting your own attempt to log in. The location it gave you corresponds to the one registered to your ISP, probably a routing/server center.

Every apple device you have is supposed to react like that to a new sign in. It's just letting you know.

Reactions: Super Real

Super Real

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2021
It most likely was not a hacker, it was reporting your own attempt to log in. The location it gave you corresponds to the one registered to your ISP, probably a routing/server center.

Every apple device you have is supposed to react like that to a new sign in. It's just letting you know.
Thank you very much for your time to let me know that!!
I still wonder why Apple has to confuse us that way, though...
Making me change PW makes me worry...
Anyway thanks have a great day, sir.

Reactions: cdcastillo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.