Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Far too much gear talk on here of late.
So based on a Flickr group I joined https://www.flickr.com/groups/yourbestshot2016/ (and not altogether different from a competition run by @The Bad Guy recently I thought it would be good fun (or is that just a good discipline?) for people to post their best shot (only one) from 2016.
No prizes, no winners just for fun.
Rules are simple. It must be your own work, and must have been taken in 2016.

I chose this one because I simply couldn't think of anything I could have done better. I liked it when I shot it and I still like it now.

_DSC1436 by apple fanboy1, on Flickr

Over to you.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
Yosemite_163_2016_01_19_8767.jpg
I chose this one because of the moment. I had been waiting for the morning fog and mist to begin to clear after a passing storm and was rewarded. BTW, I agree with Ken, your photo is National Geographic worthy.

The Bad Guy

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Australia
Far too much gear talk on here of late.
So based on a Flickr group I joined https://www.flickr.com/groups/yourbestshot2016/ (and not altogether different from a competition run by @The Bad Guy recently I thought it would be good fun (or is that just a good discipline?) for people to post their best shot (only one) from 2016.
No prizes, no winners just for fun.
Rules are simple. It must be your own work, and must have been taken in 2016.

I chose this one because I simply couldn't think of anything I could have done better. I liked it when I shot it and I still like it now.

_DSC1436 by apple fanboy1, on Flickr

Over to you.
I disagreed on your owl shot, but can't argue with this. Nailed it.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
But I haven't taken my best photo of 2016 yet. :D

Yeah you have.... get it up here... :) just kidding...
[doublepost=1482140651][/doublepost]OK, so, back story for the emotional bit.

I have always been utterly enthralled looking at images of slot canyons, I find them an amazing example of the power of nature.

So, two and a bit years ago, I attended an exhibit opening of a friend of mine's work and fell in love with an image of the slot canyons in Page Arizona. He had been there on a shooting trip for Anthropology. I was going to buy it and another friend attending with me stopped me and said "you have the capability to take that image yourself. Why pay for it when you can spend the money actually going there, experience it for yourself and take as many pictures as you want."

This year our sales kickoff conference was in Vegas. I was being dropped within 4 hours drive of my personal nirvana. So I rented a car and enlisted some of the sales guys to do a hiking trip. Staying in a cowboy ranch house and what was an EPIC adventure in some of the most amazing landscapes I have had the pleasure to witness. I spent three days with my jaw hanging slack in wonder.

As an output, I got lots of lovely images, lots of them sit with me in my memories but this one I think is MY image...

Regardless if you think it is my best or not, this one Just makes me proud and it is my most personal of 2016.

Hope you guys like it.

DSC07306.jpg
by Ken OHagan, on Flickr

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I love this picture, its of the Mount Washington Resort. I took this on 10/23/2016 when camping. A little early for snow, even for New Hampshire. The monochromatic aspect for me is quite enthralling, yet, there's a smattering of color from the lights and trees.

PA230736-2.jpg

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

I have always been utterly enthralled looking at images of slot canyons, I find them an amazing example of the power of nature.

So, two and a bit years ago, I attended an exhibit opening of a friend of mine's work and fell in love with an image of the slot canyons in Page Arizona. He had been there on a shooting trip for Anthropology. I was going to buy it and another friend attending with me stopped me and said "you have the capability to take that image yourself. Why pay for it when you can spend the money actually going there, experience it for yourself and take as many pictures as you want."

This year our sales kickoff conference was in Vegas. I was being dropped within 4 hours drive of my personal nirvana. So I rented a car and enlisted some of the sales guys to do a hiking trip. Staying in a cowboy ranch house and what was an EPIC adventure in some of the most amazing landscapes I have had the pleasure to witness. I spent three days with my jaw hanging slack in wonder.

As an output, I got lots of lovely images, lots of them sit with me in my memories but this one I think is MY image...

Regardless if you think it is my best or not, this one Just makes me proud and it is my most personal of 2016.

Hope you guys like it.

DSC07306.jpg
by Ken OHagan, on Flickr
Great backstory and photo Ken. Knew you had one! This place always reminds me of Space when I see pictures of it. Like Mars or something. I'll add it to my bucket list.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Great backstory and photo Ken. Knew you had one! This place always reminds me of Space when I see pictures of it. Like Mars or something. I'll add it to my bucket list.

You seriously have to do it and Zion and Bryce. Get them on the top of that list they are worth the journey and beautiful beyond anything I have seen before. - not that I have seen much but you know what I mean.
[doublepost=1482156659][/doublepost]
I love those nature and landscape shots!
I did a series of portraits to practice for a dancer project next year. I think this may be the best one.

View attachment 678807

Great series of images on your site! wow!

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country

Hope you guys like it.

DSC07306.jpg
by Ken OHagan, on Flickr

It's a winner, Ken. My wife and I are heading to Sedona, AZ in February, part of our annual ritual of heading south to escape the Montana winter blues. Page and the Slots are on my photography bucket list, although probably not on this trip.

Reactions: kenoh

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
It's a winner, Ken. My wife and I are heading to Sedona, AZ in February, part of our annual ritual of heading south to escape the Montana winter blues. Page and the Slots are on my photography bucket list, although probably not on this trip.

Thank you so much.

You need to do it, they are amazing. Sedona was just that little bit too far away. @anotherscotsman took some stunning images there and I want to go there one day but my priority this time was Page. Well worth the trip.

Enjoy Sedona!

inkmich

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2016
Maryland
At the end of running my Saturday morning 'Dad' errands I dropped off the car for some work at a local tire shop. While walking back to the house wondering how much it was going to cost me I looked up and felt I was in a sea of red leaves. I only had my iPhone but I had to capture the scene. Sometimes a picture finds you.

IMG_0309.jpg

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
At the end of running my Saturday morning 'Dad' errands I dropped off the car for some work at a local tire shop. While walking back to the house wondering how much it was going to cost me I looked up and felt I was in a sea of red leaves. I only had my iPhone but I had to capture the scene. Sometimes a picture finds you.

View attachment 678851
What was that saying about best camera being the one on you? Very nice image.
[doublepost=1482168398][/doublepost]
I love those nature and landscape shots!
I did a series of portraits to practice for a dancer project next year. I think this may be the best one.

View attachment 678807
Interesting lighting! Certainly stands out from the crowd.
[doublepost=1482168450][/doublepost]
You seriously have to do it and Zion and Bryce. Get them on the top of that list they are worth the journey and beautiful beyond anything I have seen before. - not that I have seen much but you know what I mean.
[doublepost=1482156659][/doublepost]

Great series of images on your site! wow!
Unlikely to do much traveling in this lifetime mate! But it's good to have a dream.

Reactions: inkmich and kenoh

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Difficult question - I've had a range of locations this year from Sedona to places more local. Although I really liked my NYC long exposure panoramas, this one is perhaps the one I'm most pleased with due to the technical challenges and the eventual photo. A nice day out helped as well.

Posforth Gill
by another scotsman, on Flickr
Well I didn't say it was easy! Another great image. Love the lighting and scene. Now places like this are worth a good day out.
Happy memories I'm sure.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
2016 has been what I think of as my photographic puberty - things falling into place...

It's always difficult to pick out your best photos, but I've selected this one because it was in the first bunch I took with my 12mm, and in the first of the decent looking HDR processed shots. Plus I immensely enjoyed taking them and seeing something I liked myself on the review screen.

Not as good as many others in this thread but I'm still proud of it.

Sailing Barge Ena of Ipswich (1906) HDR
by Hugh Russell, on Flickr

Cheers :)

Hugh

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
2016 has been what I think of as my photographic puberty - things falling into place...

It's always difficult to pick out your best photos, but I've selected this one because it was in the first bunch I took with my 12mm, and in the first of the decent looking HDR processed shots. Plus I immensely enjoyed taking them and seeing something I liked myself on the review screen.

Not as good as many others in this thread but I'm still proud of it.

Sailing Barge Ena of Ipswich (1906) HDR
by Hugh Russell, on Flickr

Cheers :)

Hugh
I remember you posting this one. I liked it then and I like it now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.