Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 29, 2005
Wondering what you guys think: I haven't seen a lot of people complaining about macOS High Sierra. Stable? I've looked into the apps I use and it seems they're all working fine on the new OS, but wondering if I could get people's thoughts so far.

my mac is a macbook pro 2016 touch bar.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I've had some significant problems on my nMP wich is my main source of income, 2 kernel panics since I installed it and several forced reboots because the system just froze, also 4 times no I've had problems with my dual monitor setup, like one display suddenly was stretched in a weird way after several reboots. Right now it seems to be running smoothly, but who knows for how long.

It really offers NO advantage whatsoever, besides the ability to shoot HEIF and HEVC content and therefore save space on your iPhone.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
it's an impossible question, since we don't all use the same apps, the same hardware... for me, it's been great (and i've run thru all the betas), but some people (as with every new OS) have issues. best advice: get carbon copy cloner, clone your HD to an external drive. the upgrade the OS. if it's problematic, you can restore from the CCC backup,

just my thoughts, of course.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Well, there are plenty of issues here, but it's probably no greater than any major update in the past. But, there are no significant new features and APFS is a major change, so I'd wait. 10.13.1 has already been seeded to developers and should be out within a month.

If you want to do it, I'd make a clone so if it doesn't work you can get back to something that is ASAP. I also have a 2016 tMBP and am waiting for 10.13.1 and a final version of SuperDuper for High Sierra.

StrawberryX

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2013
Antwerp
I did on a nMP 3,7, 64GB, D300
It boots in less than 3 seconds in High Sierra.
I did have problems with the wifi the first day, It would connect but I could not surf the web.
Then it worked sometimes, but Firefox was extremely slow.
After a day or so and having done some reboots.
That problem went away. Other browers are fast too.

But my production machine was/is a cMP 3,1 2,8 8 core, 64GB, 1TB SSD Sata, spinners, USB3, GTX 680 for 4K.
El Capitan

I would not have jumped so quick if the nMP was already loaded with all my apps and stuff.
I prefer a clean install. But I didn't want to install everything again in 3 months.
And High Sierra is interesting for me, as it would make NVME PCIe SSD's bootable.

I'm still setting up the machine and have not yet did some serious work loads.
The apps work.

The OS Itself is annoying compared to Snow Leopard, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, El Capitan imo.
But I got used to that, that every OS get's more kiddy.
But at least It more interesting for SSD's, and TB2/3 workflows ...

Installing is always a risk. Even a .6 version. A .0 version is the biggest risk.
Especially if you have limited recovery options, or other internal/external bootdrives around.
On the cMP, I've always migraited slowly from one boot drive to another with a newer OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.