Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
What is your favorite mac made from 1984-1995?

I like the Powermac 7500 becasuse of its upgradability. It had 8 ram slots, so you can put like 1gb of ram in. It had room for 2 hard drives and was very easy to upgrade. It could run OS 9 fairly well, and it also was had a small form factor.

so what vintage system do you guys like the best?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
My favorite is the IIvx. This was my first Macintosh and my introduction to the platform. If it wasn't for this machine I would probably be a Windows zealot. It was a 68030 33mhz with FPU, 5 MB RAM, 512 KB VRAM, 80 MB Hard Drive, and 2x CD-ROM running System 7.1.

As far as my favorite design I would choose the IIcx/ci. I really liked the look of the case. One can only dream that Apple will one day reuse the case designs of the Mac II and Quadra series of computers, instead of what they use now.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Mine would have to be the Quadra 900/950 series. Talk about your monster systems of the day... there wasn't anything like them on the market.
Looking at the Quadra 950:
Motorola 68040 at 33 Mhz
16 memory slot for a maximum of 256 MB of RAM
5 NuBus slots and 1 Processor Direct slot
Shipped with 1 MB of VRAM, expandable to 2 MB
Two independent SCSI buses (7 IDs each, one internal, one external)
Room for up to four internal drives, and first to include CD-ROM drive as an option
Built in ethernet
Stereo audio in and out ports​
When compared to systems from other venders at the time, it stands out. There were no comparable PCs in 1992, but SGI, Sun and NeXT all had systems in the same power (and price) range.

From Silicon Graphics, the IRIS Indigo Workstation. The system that SGI put up against the Quadra was running an MIPS R3000 processor at 33 MHz (and benchmarked slightly faster than the 68040 at 33 MHz). It had memory expandable up to 96 MB, two expansion slots on the logic board, and the entry level system used an 8 bit graphics board (SGI used a dither effect controlled by the main processor that produced something that look somewhere between 8 bit and 16 bit color on screen). Like the Quadra, this system also included ethernet, audio in and out. There is room for three drives (on a single SCSI bus) and the internal drives are limited in size (hard drives, floppy or tape... no room for a CD-ROM).

SGI had aimed this system squarely at the desktop graphics market. Many people at SGI wore T-shirts with the letters MOM on them... meaning Move Over Macintosh.

Sun Microsystems was offering the SPARCstation IPX. Also slightly faster than the Quadra, it only had room for one internal hard drive... but the form factor lets you stack up addition parts in a tower (I have such a configuration in front of me right now, made up of two external hard drives, a SPARCclassic and an external CD-ROM drive). It was also limited to 64 MB of RAM. They were advertising these in MacWeek.

And of course there was NeXT's NeXTstation Turbo Color. These systems came with the same 68040 processor at 33 MHz that the Quadras did. They also came with a DSP coprocessor (like the Quadra 840av would later include) and were able to display 16 bit color. Memory topped out at 128 MB of RAM, and there was room for a single SCSI hard drive, they had audio in/out ports, ethernet and used ADB for connecting the keyboard and mouse.

Of course the main difference between the Quadra and it's competitors was that they were all using some form of Unix. The Quadra also had the option of coming with Apple's Unix OS installed. A/UX 3.0.1 runs great on these systems... but it usually jumped the price of the system up by about $1,000.

Anyways, I happen to like the Quadra 900/950 series. I still use a 950 today... and also have an IRIS Indigo and SPARCclassic (a later budget version of the SPARCstation IPX) in my collection. All Titans of the early 90's. :D

Thom_Edwards

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2003
the quadra 650. if you can believe it, it had a cd drive in it! i could actually listen to music on my computer! those were the days...

seriously, though, at that time i was heavy into electronic music composition/producing/whatever-you-want-to-call-it. i was just getting back into a little programming, too. and the internet boom was just kicking off, so that was a pretty cool thing to be able to do. (not that it was the only computer that could do that, but the internet added to the wow factor of that particular machine.) it could handle any and everything i threw at it. like a previous poster mentioned about the higher-end quadras, these machines were definitely the best machines money could buy within 'reason'. (if i remember correctly, i paid $2500 for it around '94.) i loved that thing. i ran that until the bondi blue imacs came out, but still kept it around for quite a while just for sentimental purposes.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Has to be the SE/30

Ultra-upgradable (I have 128 MB of RAM, a 9 GB drive, and an Ethernet card in mine,) and can run BSD.

I've seen people who have crammed in a 68040 upgrade, an Ethernet card, and the rare video card that enables grayscale on the internal screen; then put a IIsi ROM in, and run OS 8.1 on it. It's just insane.

Second fave would have to be my PPC upgraded PowerBook 520c. With its PCMCIA adapter, I can boot off a 2 GB CompactFlash card faster than the internal hard drive, and use WiFi. (It makes a nice silent 'news & email' computer in the bedroom.)

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
ehurtley said:
Ultra-upgradable (I have 128 MB of RAM, a 9 GB drive, and an Ethernet card in mine,) and can run BSD.

I've seen people who have crammed in a 68040 upgrade, an Ethernet card, and the rare video card that enables grayscale on the internal screen; then put a IIsi ROM in, and run OS 8.1 on it. It's just insane.

Second fave would have to be my PPC upgraded PowerBook 520c. With its PCMCIA adapter, I can boot off a 2 GB CompactFlash card faster than the internal hard drive, and use WiFi. (It makes a nice silent 'news & email' computer in the bedroom.)

wow, nice SE/30! you got a 9gb hard drive in there? I'm surprised it doesn't get to hot inside your case....and that the power supply is not overworked.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
macEfan said:
wow, nice SE/30! you got a 9gb hard drive in there? I'm surprised it doesn't get to hot inside your case....and that the power supply is not overworked.

The PSU is failing. I run it off an external power supply. :) (And I have an extra fan in there, because it is a 10,000 RPM drive.)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
The entire Quadra line IMHO was very strong and coupled with System 7.1 it was one of the highlights of the inter-Steve era. I had (and still have) a Quadra 610 back in '93 and it was so sleek and elegant compared to PCs of the day, not to mention powerful.

ehurtley said:
The PSU is failing. I run it off an external power supply. :) (And I have an extra fan in there, because it is a 10,000 RPM drive.)

Jeebus, that's a hard working SE...:eek:

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
The Macintosh IIfx was an awesome system. $10,000 (US, base price) bought you a 40MHz 68030, parity RAM, and 6502 I/O processors.

Rumor has it that the IIfx was designed under a government contract.

Not until the G5 Quad was any Macintosh so massively over-engineered.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
In terms of "classics" the Classic II was my first ever Mac that I owned. $5 at a garage sale.

I also love my 3400c laptop with OS 9.2.2 using OS Helper. Hopefully patimian will be buying that soon from me :D.

I found some GUI enhancements for OS 9 to make it look Aqua-esque. There is even a dock program that I am using for it, too.

(Its really cool :D)

rob0602

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2006
Your favourite Classic Mac

Mine is the PowerMac 7760 - 2 SCSI 4Gb HDD and a 604e processor at 200Mhz - allied to Ethernet, CD Rom, USB card fitted in the PCI slot(s), Voodoo Vid card, 100Mg RAM, 56Modem (External) and an HP Printer running Office 98 for the Mac

Heaven it was

Very good friend virtually gave it to me with a copy of OS9.1 and I was sold in 10 mins!

Still have it in the loft - it's there with an UMAX Mac Clone and my old 1st generation iMac 400

So the collection is growing!

Robo

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
im_to_hyper said:
In terms of "classics" the Classic II was my first ever Mac that I owned. $5 at a garage sale.

I also love my 3400c laptop with OS 9.2.2 using OS Helper. Hopefully patimian will be buying that soon from me :D.

I found some GUI enhancements for OS 9 to make it look Aqua-esque. There is even a dock program that I am using for it, too.

(Its really cool :D)

Sounds cool, if you don't mind could you post the aqua and the dock programs that you found? :D

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
I just remember my first computer being an Apple IIc. Good memories. Lots of frustration trying to play X-Wing on that when i was like 10.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
kntgsp said:
I just remember my first computer being an Apple IIc. Good memories. Lots of frustration trying to play X-Wing on that when i was like 10.
sigh that brings back memories :) I used to have one of those too, complete with external disk drive and Little monitor. Sadly, I got an apple IIGS and tossed the poor IIC in the garbage :( Im still mad at myself for doing that. I still have my LC II though, but it doesn't get much use.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
I'm not sure if this counts, but, uhhh... the PowerBook G3 Pismo. God, I love that machine. I have a Lombard now...

JDW

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2005
Japan
SE/30 Upgrades Galore

ehurtley said:
I saw your other post saying you have a PB520 running off a 2GB CF. You can put a CF in your SE/30, eliminating noise and extra power consumption, with this Japanese product:

http://www.artmix.com/CF_powermon.html

DougTheImpaler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2006
Central Illinois
PowerBook 3400c. I still have mine...the trackpad's mouse button came off (but is still functional) and the screen flops around like it has a broken neck...but I still love it. I'm thinking of buying a new one and transferring my 128MB of memory to it. It's a great little machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.