Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beansbaxter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
Seattle
What is the best Twitter app for MacOS?

I've been using the official Twitter app, but it has many annoyances, and I'm looking for a better user experience.

I downloaded a free trial of Tweetbot for Mac, and I thought it worse than the official Twitter app.

I am ok with free or paid. I'm more than happy to pay for a good app.

And because I love the official Twitter app on my iPhone, I do not care about syncing features between iPhone and Mac.

I searched this section before making this thread and the last threads on this subject are a couple years old.

Hoping to hear some good suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

ecatomb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2021
France
Official Twitter and Tweetbot are the best ones ?
Tweetbot of you want no ad and sync between device.

What do you dislike in official Twitter app and want in the new one ?
Maybe you could try TweetDeck (from Twitter), but it won't be similar to other app

Reactions: beansbaxter

beansbaxter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
Seattle
What do you dislike in official Twitter app and want in the new one ?
My biggest annoyance with the official Twitter app is how it handles notifications on MacOS and my smallest annoyance is there is no way to disable the app's inertia scrolling.

My biggest annoyance with Tweetbot is it's slow, I'm constantly waiting for it to load/refresh when I click through sections, the direct messages section never loads, and don't get me started on how bad the search engine is within the app. To be fair, I'm assuming these annoyances are less about Tweetbot and more about their use of Twitter's API calls and having to interface with Twitter.

beansbaxter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
Seattle
Maybe you could try TweetDeck (from Twitter), but it won't be similar to other app
Just installed TweetDeck. After getting it setup the way I wanted, I love how it auto refreshes the feed. But the most unbelievable thing is the Notifications column does not support the alerts for people you specifically follow with user notifications enabled. Something that is so core to Twitter is not supported on TweetDeck, yet is supported and works great on the official Twitter app. Frustrating.

Reactions: ecatomb

beansbaxter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
Seattle
For Tweetbot, it's due to the API.
Thanks for confirming my assumption!

I know Twitter has to protect their firehose of a data feed, but these kinds of third party apps promote a better user experience, which in turns promotes more engagement with Twitter.

I signed up on Twitter in 2007, when third party apps amplified the entire Twitter user experience. It's sad to think the reverse has happened in 2021.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Using Twitter on the website has been my best experience, however then I don't get desktop notifications.
That's an opt-in setting that's available for chromium browsers and Firefox. I don't know if Twitter allows for Safari to show notifications through the Twitter website(most websites don't and suggests using Google Chrome or Firefox)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.