Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Guys, I love coffee, I love trying new coffee, so I thought I'd create a thread seeing what coffee people call their favourite.

Mine is Don Francisco's Vanilla Nut.

81BSPOuf9cL._SL1500_.jpg

It's smooth, a little sweet and the best morning coffee I've ever had. It pains me that it can't be bought in the UK, my last tin ran out a few months ago now and I've yet to find a single replacement for it.

What's yours?

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
I have the good fortune to live in Portland OR where the variety of good coffee is only challenged by the variety of good beer. I am not sure if any of the coffee is available Nationally or regionally, but I do like STUMPTOWN. One of the bigger Portland roasters...

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I order green beans (unroasted) from Sweet Marias website, and roast my own.

The blends I enjoy are New Classic Espresso Blend, Monkey Espresso Blend, and Liquid Amber Espresso Blend...for any who roast their own.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Metropolis batch of Redline right now is phenomenal. Otherwise some of my fave roasters I order from are Klatch, Fair Mountain Coffee Roasters, Stumptown, Cafe Don Pablo, etc. Anything prepackaged and preground is a no no, stale.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I have the good fortune to live in Portland OR where the variety of good coffee is only challenged by the variety of good beer. I am not sure if any of the coffee is available Nationally or regionally, but I do like STUMPTOWN. One of the bigger Portland roasters...

Hmmmmm, I'll have to check them out!

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Metropolis batch of Redline right now is phenomenal. Otherwise some of my fave roasters I order from are Klatch, Fair Mountain Coffee Roasters, Stumptown, Cafe Don Pablo, etc. Anything prepackaged and preground is a no no, stale.

Agreed ^^^

One of the Rule of 15s states that once roasted, if properly stored, coffee is good for 15 days. Best to buy coffee from a place that roasts it and packages it immediately. Most pre-roasted packaged coffees have been in storage of unknown duration and unknown conditions.

For really fresh coffee, getting whole beans from a source no more than a few days after roasting is best...if possible.

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
Coffee is coffee. Don't be influenced by marketing or coffee snobs.

You can't beat Folgers Crystals. Freeze dried, which preserves the freshness until you drink it. With Folgers Instant Coffee crystals, you can have that rich aroma and delicious taste whenever and wherever you want it—just pick your style.

;)

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: robotica and Snide

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

You can't beat Folgers Crystals. Freeze dried, which preserves the freshness until you drink it. With Folgers Instant Coffee crystals, you can have that rich aroma and delicious taste whenever and wherever you want it—just pick your style.

;)

The Best Part of Waking Up!

;)

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I wake up to a few cups of percolated Kirkland Signature Colombian Coffee every morning. I guess you can say it's a favorite of mine

Edit: Forgot to mention, I drink coffee black with no sugar.

17767_v2b.jpg

Last edited:

And

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2009
92 ft above sea level, UK

;)

Let the coffee flaming wars commence...?!

I will drink any filter coffee which has a strength rating of 3 or 4 and have no favourite. But I will never drink instant coffee. Bleurgh. :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have no favorite - any port in the storm so to speak. I don't like overly strong coffee, so I opt for a mild blend and I'll buy what ever is cheapest at that point.

I use Kerurig k-cups and so I'm able to find something fairly decently priced

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
My favorite coffee for drip is from Tim Hortons, a Canadian coffee shop chain. For espresso, I've just fallen in love with Sweet Maria's Liquid Amber blend. I think some pretentious coffee madman snob in this thread may have mentioned that blend already. :D

Last edited:

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Of all pre-ground, pre-packaged coffees I really like:

illy_250g_rot_gemahlen.jpg

Un-ground beans I would have to say Formula Rossa as sold by the 'Algerian Coffee Stores' in London's Old Compton Street. That stuff is amazing! :eek:

And to rile up the coffee snobs, I also don't mind a cup of Kenko's Decaff once in a while, to keep things in perspective. Yeah that's right... I went there. :D

Reactions: adrianlondon

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

;)

The Best Part of Waking Up!;)

As I am familiar with the posts of the above two MR members, I would warn readers that both were just recently released from their local laughing academy and are heavily medicated and under the care of many doctors.

It's sad...but we do try to humor them....be kind!

:p:p

My favorite coffee for drip is from Tim Hortons, a Canadian coffee shop chain. For espresso, I've just fallen in love with Sweet Maria's Liquid Amber blend. I think some pretentious coffee madman snob in this thread may have mentioned that blend already. :D

I can't imagine to whom this individual is referring...but it is true that lurking among us is a dangerous and deeply demented coffee freak.:eek:

The above comments are a public service to the readers of this thread.

BWHAHAHA!

Just a note that I should have included in my initial post...no matter what coffee you use, or what method of production is employed----the most important rule is...if you like it, and the coffee pleases you, that's all that matters!

• Haha
Reactions: robotica

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
As I am familiar with the posts of the above two MR members, I would warn readers that both were just recently released from their local laughing academy and are heavily medicated and under the care of many doctors.

Ack, outed!

OK, fine.

My current favorite coffee is Sweet Maria's Espresso Monkey Blend, roasted by yours truly and used up (or down?) 4-8 days after roasting.

Also greatly enjoying Blue Bottle Decaf Noir, suggested by one of the Espresso Nuts from the other thread.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Tha last of the Rule of 15s states...coffee should be served within 15 seconds of brewing.

Perhaps just a bit of an overstatement (to stay constant with the other "15s")...I wouldn't spit out coffee if served 30 or 40 seconds after brewing!;)

But coffee is best when served immediately after brewing is complete.

Last edited by a moderator:

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Funnily enough, I tried Blue Bottle a couple of times, and thought it was lackluster. Much better coffee can be had, that's for sure.

Stumptown, I agree, is excellent. Up on the top of my list, easily.

Klatch... is an interesting one. The one in Ontario? Ok-ok. The one in Rancho Cucamonga? The second-worst cup of coffee I've ever had (the worst was at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf... *barf*)

But the one in San Dimas? One of the best cups of coffee I've ever had.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Coffee is NOT coffee. Some of us can taste and smell the difference between Starbucks and others, and even different blends of Starbucks. Coffee is not coffee.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Coffee is NOT coffee. Some of us can taste and smell the difference between Starbucks and others, and even different blends of Starbucks. Coffee is not coffee.

Sorry, I must have missed something in this thread.

Did anyone suggest that there was no differences between coffees?

It seems to me that the essence of this thread is the desire of folks to share their favorite coffees...pretty much diametrically opposed to the notion that there is no difference between coffees.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Kona is my favorite. I had it for the first time in Hawaii and sadly haven't had it since :( Anytime I try and buy it its a blend that tastes nothing like Kona :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.