Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’m currently thinking about the best way to get a 55” TV mounted over the fireplace down, and replace it with a 65” 4K TV with the help of my wife. It involves standing on ladders, although our short ladders should work. :)

During a remodel project, I have taken it down before with 2 people and it was not overly difficult. If you are not familiar, a bracket is secured to the wall with a cradle, and a bracket secured to the TV that can just be lowered into the cradle. This TV is larger, but possibly the same weight or lighter as the new TVs are thinner.

The other consideration is should I, can I use the old mounting bracket with the new TV, but we will need a new bracket in any case as this TV will now reside in our bedroom. Sadly, we have an old, but in great shape, Ethan Allen armoire where the current 35” TV sits, but it can’t accommodate the larger TV, so that piece may end up in our walk-in closet or gasp, sell it if we can. Big furniture these days is hard to sell, period.

One other task is pulling the component cable out of the wall to be replaced by 4K HDMI cables. There are some curves, but I ran this cable though sections of 3” plastic plumbing pipe to hopefully make pulling it out easier.

As this is a “smart” TV, I’ve already determined I can retire my Roku box, but my impression is that I will need to keep Apple TV box, unless Apple TV can be pulled up as a channel. I don’t think so. I have one or two movies/TV shows I purchased there.

One thing about this new TV, the picture is awesome. :) I just hope Vizio holds up as well as Sony and Samsung.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
2019- Where are you going to find 4K content for your new 4K TV?
  • Ultra HD Blu-Ray disks.
  • Netflix (found as a channel on most devices).
  • Amazon Prime Video streaming (channel)
  • ITunes
  • VUDU
  • You Tube
  • Ultraflix
  • Sony PlayStation Video
  • Fandango Now
  • Google Play
  • FUBO TV
  • HULU? Not currently
  • Direct TV
  • Dish Network
  • Comcast
  • Suddenlink (Altice One- still investigating this)
  • More? I’m sure this is not a comprehensive list.

What will you need (some are optional)?
  • 4K TV
  • 4K disk player
  • 4K capable HDMI cables (required to feed your TV from devices)
  • 4K Roku (unlikely because new TVs can access most, if not all of the channels found on Roku).
  • 4K capable Apple TV (may be required to access Apple content other than channels found on all devices).
  • Sony Playstation 4 (optional)

Support articles:
Ultra HD Blu-ray: Everything you need to know

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/ultra-hd-blu-ray-specs-dates-and-titles/

Here’s how and where you can watch the best 4K content
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/where-and-how-to-watch-4k-uhd-content/

Prime Video vs. Amazon Video: What Is The Difference?
https://www.techtimes.com/articles/138078/20160304/prime-video-vs-amazon-what-difference.htm

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ultra HD – Everything You Need To Know About 4K TV- http://goconnect-it.com/2015/08/27/ultra-hd-what-you-need-to-know/ (from 2015, but good info).

HDMI vs Component Cables?
https://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/dvihdmicomponent.htm
I was shocked to find component cable connectors on my 4k TV. Since I have component cables already in the walls, I wondered, should I just use them? Research indicates that HDMI is digital, Component Cables are analog, but there is no date on this article and no mention of 4K.

As a 1080 reference, there are occasions where a long cable run is required, that Component Cables maybe more robust signal wise, yet, for lack of a definitive statement, I suspect that they will not fulfill the role of delivering a 60fps, 4K signal. I’ve not verified this for sure.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
If I remember correctly, component cables will most likely down sample the 4K video to 1080p. Also, are you going to have a receiver in the mix of this or just go directly from the source to the TV? I didn't see it mentioned hence my question.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If I remember correctly, component cables will most likely down sample the 4K video to 1080p. Also, are you going to have a receiver in the mix of this or just go directly from the source to the TV? I didn't see it mentioned hence my question.
What I have currently is 1080 TiVo (from Suddenlink) unit rated for 1080. It has both component cable and HDMI. Suddenlink (which I plan on dumping) is transitioning to a 4K DVR unit they are calling an Altice box. But technically it’s not yet available for existing customers.

I’ve found nothing that says Component Cables work for transmitting a 4k signal.

So since I am swapping out the TV, I’m going to swap out the component cable to be replaced by three 2.0 standard HDMI cables. One to the TV for any future DVR provided by a cable company (for when I switch back. Ya never know, right? ;)), one for Apple TV, and I’m hoping that the TV itself has all the channels I use with my Roku box, (Netflix, Prime Video, and acorn) so that will give me a spare. Sling TV or Hulu Live will be in my future.

Connecting smart TV to internet without a cable box? I’ve just thought of something! My smart TV has channels that it can download, but how do I connect it to the internet without the cable box? I’m assuming I need to run an Ethernet cable from the router to the TV. Will this give me a 4K signal? The answer appears to be yes. And wondering will my current router provide a 4k signal? It should, it’s not that old. ;)

More research: https://support.vizio.com/s/article...DTV-Wirelessly-to-the-Internet?language=en_US
I think this Vizio P Series TV will connect wirelessly to my router, but the question is for 4k, is an ethernet cable better? I believe wired is faster. Which brings up the next question- Cat 7 or 8 Ethernet cable- Can both do 4k?

Going with Cat7: https://www.imore.com/best-ethernet-cables-apple-tv-4k

... sorry for gushing. ;)

Last edited:

daimos

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2009
Cellphones are distracting in the theater. I imagine a fireplace at the bottom of the tv has the same effect.
I don't get why people do it.

Reactions: J.J. Sefton

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
So you are not going to be using a receiver at all for any pass through or external speakers, correct?
I’m using a sound bar connected to the TV with an optical connection.

With the help of my neighbor got the old TV down today and the new TV up. Ran new HDMI cables through the wall. Cranked up Netflix on the TV and was advised UltraHD on Netflix is an extra $5 per month. Had to do it. :) Turned on Our Planet and was blown away by the picture as I knew I would. The resolution and depth in this picture is amazing. The tropical forest vistas are stunning.

The 55” Sony will go in our bedroom, replacing a 35” flat screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0388631

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
App capabilities of Smart TVs- Chromecast on Vizio
When I went to buy my Vizio 65” 4k, the salesman at Costco said that because it has a built in hub, that this is the equivalent to Roku or Apple TV.

In the case of Vizio, if you have a model with Vizio Internet Apps Plus, this maybe the case (https://www.vizio.com/via-chart), but if you a have model 2018 or newer modell with Chromecast built in, this does not appear to be the case. It does have a set of apps that come on it, including Netflix, Prime Video, and others.

But if I understand it correctly, instead Chromecast expects you to cast apps not installed on it by default, from your mobile device?? (https://www.lifewire.com/add-manage-apps-vizio-tv-4172016). So until I investigate some more, why would I want to cast apps from my iPhone or iPad?? I already have a 4k capable Roku and Apple TV boxes connected , so I see no need to introduce a mobile device to stream apps from them to my tv.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding something, but this seems to be the case when in the app bar, the box that says add apps, there is a video how to select apps on your phone and tell the TV to stream that data. It does not sound good to me.

Anyone familiar with Chromecast?

Update: I called Vizio and verified this is how it is, and lodged a complaint. Now besides this, we are very happy, so far with the quality of the picture. I still regard it as a good value. :)

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Now that I have Sony 4k UBP-X700 disk player, I’m not really impressed with it. UHD disks play in a letter box format and it’s really hard to see the difference over HD BluRay. What’s really annoying is when DVD movies, look almost good when are upscaled to fill the entire screen.

I have been much more impressed with 4k streaming, it fills the entire screen of my tv (65”), and there is no doubt you are seeing UHD.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Now that I have Sony 4k UBP-X700 disk player, I’m not really impressed with it. UHD disks play in a letter box format and it’s really hard to see the difference over HD BluRay. What’s really annoying is when DVD movies, look almost good when are upscaled to fill the entire screen.

I have been much more impressed with 4k streaming, it fills the entire screen of my tv (65”), and there is no doubt you are seeing UHD.

Well, if it's letterboxed content, it's letterboxed, regardless of the delivery mechanism. You've got a TV with a 1.7:1 ratio (aka, 16:9), and if you're watching a movie, it's very likely in 1.85:1 so there's going to be top/bottom black bars (or missing image content). Get into something like, oh, say, QT's Hateful Eight, that's a super wide 2.76:1, so significant less image area on a 1.7 screen.

If you're streaming a show that's 1.7, sure it's full screen, and no missing content, but it doesn't matter than it came from a remote IP source vs. a local optical disc :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Well, if it's letterboxed content, it's letterboxed, regardless of the delivery mechanism. You've got a TV with a 1.7:1 ratio (aka, 16:9), and if you're watching a movie, it's very likely in 1.85:1 so there's going to be top/bottom black bars (or missing image content). Get into something like, oh, say, QT's Hateful Eight, that's a super wide 2.76:1, so significant less image area on a 1.7 screen.

If you're streaming a show that's 1.7, sure it's full screen, and no missing content, but it doesn't matter than it came from a remote IP source vs. a local optical disc :)
I wondering why there are not setting in the player to upscale or change ratios to fill the entire screen such as what happens with some of the DVDs we play.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I wondering why there are not setting in the player to upscale or change ratios to fill the entire screen such as what happens with some of the DVDs we play.

I bet there is! They may just be buried deep in the menus so you haven't noticed them.

Upscaling would generally preserve the ratio. Personally, I wouldn't want to fill the screen with a wider aspect source because you're losing video content (and I definitely wouldn't want to force a new ratio!)

If you're OK with tossing out some of the video info, root around in the menus (I looked at the manual online but it didn't have some options listed) - or - you could also investigate your TV settings.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I bet there is! They may just be buried deep in the menus so you haven't noticed them.

Upscaling would generally preserve the ratio. Personally, I wouldn't want to fill the screen with a wider aspect source because you're losing video content (and I definitely wouldn't want to force a new ratio!)

If you're OK with tossing out some of the video info, root around in the menus (I looked at the manual online but it didn't have some options listed) - or - you could also investigate your TV settings.
I realize that when it used to say movie formatted for your tv, it could mean a huge loss of image, that effected how the movie was percieved.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’ve been using 4 remotes for our setup and recently purchased a GE universal remote that works well enough controlling our VisioTV, Roku, AppleTV and Yamaha sound bar. But my wife does not like it, which is ok. I’ll keep it for myself and let her play with the others. :)

I asked this over in the Apple Home Pod forum, but I’ll ask here, is there a device made, Apple Home Pod, the competing Amazon or Google products that would allow you to control all of the devices listed by voice?

Roku seems to be stand alone. There is a tie in between the Apple products, so they should work, but I’m not sure about them controlling the sound bar because the tv speakers are turned off and the Yamaha sound bar has it’s own remote for controlling sound.

I noticed that the Apple Product is the most expensive (as usual), in some cases substantially more, it has the most speakers, but I don’t really need another sound bar. I wonder if I would have to disconnect the sound bar, if I used the Home Pod?

I just toying with the idea of sitting in my chair and controlling these things by voice spoken in the room. Another question, I can see saying “Roku” and have the Roku turn on, but when navigating the Roku, would you be using commands like up, down, left, right, back for navigation of the interface and play, rewind, pause, stop, main menu? Then say AppleTV and have it auto switch? Is there complete functionality, or must a remote still be pulled out on occasion? Anyone know?

When using remotes (Roku, AppleTV remote, etc) with a smart TV, if you’ve been watching on one device and then select another device by pressing on that devices remote, the TV will sense the new input and will automatically change to it, including when the BluRay disk player is turned on.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
June 2020 How much are you paying for connections to the outside world?
Do I have a good price?
Here is my Suddenlink bill for June 2020. Note the Special discount of -81.50 that represents a negotiated rate I got through their retention department and have had it for a year. Before this when I had a full blown cable package, I was paying about $230 a month. Obviously this does not include the services I subscribe to like Netflix, but I thought I'd point that out.
  • 06/06 -07/05 Local Broadcast 34.99
  • HD DigitaLink 5.00
  • State Cost 0.24
  • 06/06 -07/05 Internet 400GB 30.00
  • Internet 89.99
  • Unlimited (No Cap) 10.00
  • State Cost 0.50
  • Recovery Fee
  • Other Services
  • 06/06 -07/05 State Cost 0.15
  • Home Fire System 4.00
  • Home Security 16.95
  • Special Discount -81.50
  • EFT Payment -2.00
Total Current Monthly Charges $108.32

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I’m currently thinking about the best way to get a 55” TV mounted over the fireplace down, and replace it with a 65” 4K TV with the help of my wife. It involves standing on ladders, although our short ladders should work. :)

During a remodel project, I have taken it down before with 2 people and it was not overly difficult. If you are not familiar, a bracket is secured to the wall with a cradle, and a bracket secured to the TV that can just be lowered into the cradle. This TV is larger, but possibly the same weight or lighter as the new TVs are thinner.

The other consideration is should I, can I use the old mounting bracket with the new TV, but we will need a new bracket in any case as this TV will now reside in our bedroom. Sadly, we have an old, but in great shape, Ethan Allen armoire where the current 35” TV sits, but it can’t accommodate the larger TV, so that piece may end up in our walk-in closet or gasp, sell it if we can. Big furniture these days is hard to sell, period.

One other task is pulling the component cable out of the wall to be replaced by 4K HDMI cables. There are some curves, but I ran this cable though sections of 3” plastic plumbing pipe to hopefully make pulling it out easier.

As this is a “smart” TV, I’ve already determined I can retire my Roku box, but my impression is that I will need to keep Apple TV box, unless Apple TV can be pulled up as a channel. I don’t think so. I have one or two movies/TV shows I purchased there.

One thing about this new TV, the picture is awesome. :) I just hope Vizio holds up as well as Sony and Samsung.
Our Sharp Roku TV has ATV as a channel, so yours may also.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I know this part of your question is old, but have you looked at the Logitech Harmony Hub, possibly with an associated remote? It may integrate, to a point, with Siri. I don't see that specifically noted on the website though, only Google Assistant and Alexa so it's possible there's no Siri integration. You CAN use it in conjunction with the app on your phone so you can control one room with just the one device. I have it - LOVE it, but my mobile devices are Google so Assistant works for me...

A point of note - the Harmony Hub requires 2.4 gHz WiFi, it's one of 2 devices in my place that need that band but I was hamstrung when it failed on my router!!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I know this part of your question is old, but have you looked at the Logitech Harmony Hub, possibly with an associated remote? It may integrate, to a point, with Siri. I don't see that specifically noted on the website though, only Google Assistant and Alexa so it's possible there's no Siri integration. You CAN use it in conjunction with the app on your phone so you can control one room with just the one device. I have it - LOVE it, but my mobile devices are Google so Assistant works for me...

A point of note - the Harmony Hub requires 2.4 gHz WiFi, it's one of 2 devices in my place that need that band but I was hamstrung when it failed on my router!!
I’ve not. One of the frustration was having to use 3 remotes, but I’ve now got a universal remote that controls everything so the imperative for voice has lessoned somewhat. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I want to know, do you notice a huge difference in picture quality between BluRay and 4K on your 4k TV? Granted I only have 1 or 2, 4k disks. I have a 65” Visio TV with good specs and honestly so far, it’s been a let down as far as not noticing anything truly significant. I have streamed some 4k nature content (I think) which seems pretty nice. I wonder if this could be the quality of the 4k disk?

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
Is there a ?difference i have read biggest factor is how close the viewer is to the screen.
the furhter back the viewer is the more thier eye integrates away any 4K goodness.

i saw this fanless micro computer from Intel, dont think it is released yet??:
INTEL NUC 11 PRO //this rumored to do a mrore complete hdmi 2.1 at 8K / 60hz

a UK based forum:
avforums.com

a while back i saw this media hub:
MINIX NEO T5 4K ULTRA HD ANDROID TV™ MEDIA HUB
http://minix.com.hk/products/neo-t5
Operating System = Android TV™ 9.0 Pie
Video Output = HDMI 2.1 (4K @ 60Hz)

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

It would be kinda difficult without a ladder. I guess it depends on preference, but always thought mounting over a fireplace would be a bad idea.... If there's a fire, you can say bye-bye to that TV... plus you'd be arching the neck UP just to watch.. (...unless perhaps the TV has some sort of tilt angle so you angle it DOWN for viewing..)

Still.. just my view.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I made this statement in 2019:

Depending on the smart TV it may not have access to all of the channels out there. I have retained both updated 4k Roku and AppleTV boxes. I think I need the Apple Box for Apple content, not sure if that is available on Roku (Have not gone looking for it. )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.