Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HarryMudd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2021
I just started seeing this error message appearing in my Apple mail. I had started using the privacy setting in mail to load remote content and it was working fine until this afternoon. I’m looking up possible resolutions and found that the options in settings have also changed. Now I am being forced to upgrade to the Cloud+ for $0.99/mo to re-able this feature? Anyone else getting this?

HarryMudd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2021
Wouldn’t that also turn off the Privacy feature? Kind of the whole point isn’t it? I could just as well click on the “load content” in the email right?

HarryMudd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2021
Rats. Service has been restored, but I still have the same problem. I wonder if it’s because I’m going to be forced to pay for the service.

bigboy29

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
There are scenarios where this might be a permanent message even if there are no Apple service issues. For example - if you use Pihole on your network (or some other flavor of DNS hygiene) this can be "expected".

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
There are scenarios where this might be a permanent message even if there are no Apple service issues. For example - if you use Pihole on your network (or some other flavor of DNS hygiene) this can be "expected".
I see this message on my iPhone and iPad with every email that contains remote content; but only when I'm at home. When I'm at a public Internet access point (like in a coffee shop), the remote content loads automatically. (I should note that I live in Thailand where iCloud Private Relay is not available.) As far as I can tell, I have the WiFi settings for my home network set identically to the settings for public WiFi networks that I use frequently.

I use NetShade Encrypted DNS, but that remains active no matter what network I'm using. Nothing changes if I disable the NetShade DNS.

I remain baffled as to what causes this at my home but not anywhere else.

Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.