Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Your opinion: 4S + iOS 6 or iOS 9?

• iOS 6

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • iOS 9

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Toccata81

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2011
What's better, a jailbroken iPhone 4S with iOS 6 or the same with iOS 9 (again, jailbroken)? The constraints are iPhone 4S, and no other iOS (firmwares no longer signed by Apple). The concern is performance issues (9 on a 4S) vs loss of features (6). There may be other considerations you know about that I don't, so please share.

If iOS9, i think there are two versions that have available jailbreaks. Is one better? The most recent?

I have been sufficing with a 16GB 8.1.2 (after my original 64GB was stolen), jailbroken, but recently got another 64GB phone of the same model that I'd like to start using but it is still on 6.something and I successfully jailbroke it. But does 4S do OK with iOS 9? I read negative things but not that its non-functional. I don't use my phone for anything special: just safari, phone, messages, WwFriends, camera, and I prefer to jailbreak. I already miss the swipe-up menu where I get the flash light.

If I go to iOS 9 there is no reversing it to 6 (or going to 8.1.2 which I'd do if it were possible). I wasn't crazy about the look of iOS8 and liked how things were before but I'm kinda used to 8 and learned to like it.

I'm not ready to move on from 4S; I like it. Will keep until it dies or phone 8 comes out, whatever happens first.

Another way to put the question is: will the performance of iOS9 on a 4S be so bad that iOS 6 is better by comparison? What would you do?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I had everything I needed on my iPhone 5, jailbroken on iOS 6.1. Everything worked and was setup exactly the way I wanted it and nothing I did or still do required a higher version of iOS (using older app versions).

Then a series of unfortunate evens occured and today I find myself on iOS 9.0.2 with an iPhone 6s+. iOS 6 is still my favorite version and I've hated iOS 7, 8 and 9 since their inception.

Take that for what it's worth (I'd stay on iOS 6) but also keep in mind that if you do decide to go to iOS 9, there is no jailbreak right now for 9.2.

StarkCity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
California
Stay on 6 with the 4s..... With the new tweak that allows older versions of apps to be installed ( can't remember it's name ) you'll be ok in that dept, but there are countless people claiming 9xxx runs horribly on their 4s. I happen to have a 4s on 9.0.2 that my daughter uses, and I don't see any huge issues with it, buuuut others do. So just take that into consideration.

iRetired

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2012
WNY
Nothing, repeat NOTHING, runs as fast and smooth on my 4S as 6.1.3.

Take it from the voice of experience. Earlier I had upgraded from the original 5.11 (REALLY DUMB) to 6, 6.1, 6.1.3, 7, 7.1, 7.2, 8, 8.1, 8.2, 8.3, and finally 8.4.

Then I found the One True Way and downgraded to 6.1.3.

Oh, and that new YouTube video comparing 8.4 to 9.2.1 on the 4S? While watching it, I used my 4S and mimicked everything shown on the video and the 4S on 6.1.3 left those two in the dust.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.