Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

auser1

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
I am in the Apple upgrade program and looking to upgrade but now when I go through the process and enter my carrier info it tells me my account type is not supported. I have been through several upgrades with the same plan in this program with no issue. I have a normal post paid account but on a simple choice plan. It is not one of their current plans but I don’t see how that should matter.

Anyone else seen this?

Reactions: Julian88Tex

auser1

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
I am seeing this as well. I’m on a simple choice plan
Looks like T-Mobile is trying to weasel us off these older plans. I will now have to pay more each month just to upgrade my phone.

lienhart

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
All the carriers are doing this. You need to have the more expensive unlimited plans to take advantage of the deals. For example, my Verizon plan has a discounted rate from awhile ago with unlimited data. Doesnt seem like it will work and will require an extra $15 a month for it.

Reactions: exmophie and CVUSA

cferra

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2010
That’s not right though. I’m on the apple upgrade program it should have no bearing on what plan I have

auser1

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
It could have something to do with esim
I don’t think so. My wife is also part of the upgrade program and has a physical sim and gets the same message. I too am talking to T-mobile and they have no clue.

Reactions: AE14

AE14

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
I don’t think so. My wife is also part of the upgrade program and has a physical sim and gets the same message. I too am talking to T-mobile and they have no clue.
My tmobile rep now has us on a 3 way call with apple. WTF?

cferra

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2010
I’m thinking because new phones are not going to ship with physical sim that simple choice isn’t available for esim going forward maybe? Please let me know how you get it resolved

joygo

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2015
I’m getting this error and wonder if this is a glitch? his would be my third iPhone on the iUP and I haven’t changed my plan at all in those 3 years and my account is in good standing.

cferra

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2010
I’m gonna go to Verizon if this continues stuff like this is why I stopped annual upgrades from T-Mobile and went to the IUP from apple. Still a pain every year.

AE14

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
Apple is trying to say that tmobile is no longer approved due to e sim, and that it has to be purchased in full & activate later. So the upgrade program would no longer work for tmobile

• Wow
Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

cferra

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2010
I dont think she knows what she's talking about. She's trying to tell me its sim related, which doesn't make sense, since if I recall correctly, sims have been around since the 10
New phones through iup are only bwibg activated with esim - I bet that’s why. Older plans aren’t available on esim and you need a magenta one. Which is total crap

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.