Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
To those of us who watched WWDC...

iOS 11 FINALLY introduced some important iPad features! Drag 'n' drop, better multitasking, the dock, etc. But is it all that you want? People often complained that the iPad OS was too limited... does this meet your expectation?

Curious to hear your thoughts.

I think that this will totally make it easier for people who are using an iPad as their main or only machine. Much more like a computer now.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Obviously won't know until I can get some serious hands-on time with it (and not on beta) but I am super excited for all of these changes. I do a ton of my work on iPPs and these changes should make doing work so much more efficient. Can't wait.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It's not the overhaul like some were expecting, but I was pleased with it. But the files application, revamped Siri (Which I look forward to) and redesigned control center (Allowing to add/organize controls ) look promising to me. I think iOS 11 will allow the iPhone to be managed more efficiently and notas structured as it was before.

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
I am not upgrading to iOS 11, i am afraid it will slow down my Old iPhones/iPads [planned obsolescence] and there is nothing promising in iOS 11,No MAJOR OVERHAUL, No "DARK MODE" which i was accepting big time,Seems like it's just another bug fix update with some improved features which we get every month

And Some Day i Goona............:(

Last edited:

Mathias Denichi

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2013
I
I am not upgrading to iOS 11, i am afraid it will slow down my Old iPhones/iPads [planned obsolescence] and there is nothing promising in iOS 11,No MAJOR OVERHAUL, No "DARK MODE" which i was accepting big time,Seems like it's just another bug fix update with some improved features which we get every month :mad:
You might want to do some reading. There is a dark mode in iOS 11.
UzeqWMA.png

Last edited:
Reactions: AmazingHenry

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
i'm hoping a dev will invent an app allowing 32 bit apps to be ported and used. i think there's so many 32 bit apps devs arent updating. so many people will be frustrated. other than that, ios11 looks dandy :)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
File explorer, drag n drop, much improved multitasking. With regards to the iPad, iOS 11 is everything I've wanted for an iPad outside of full blown macOS. I mean, now it is essentially macOS mini. Which I'm good with. I'll never get rid of my MBP, but for 99% of my personal use, I can now use the iPad.

The expanded Apple Pencil support was awesome with Note taking. You can scan a document with the camera and the edit/write on the document itself. I like what they did with the note application.

eviljack

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2013
Still waiting for a terminal and xCode app. I need mouse support too.

Hopefully Files works properly so it can remove the need for syncing with iTunes. Letting me add my own music to the music folder without going through a PC.

For now its a no from me. I'd rather get the Surface Pro still.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
When you select it, the menus are dark. How is that false info?

I believe dark mode is something that would automatically be triggered? Inverse colors just makes every "funky looking". I could be completely wrong. I think of my car, when it is dark outside a "dark mode" is automatically engaged. Inverse colors has been around for a long time now.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
I am not upgrading to iOS 11, i am afraid it will slow down my Old iPhones/iPads [planned obsolescence] and there is nothing promising in iOS 11,No MAJOR OVERHAUL, No "DARK MODE" which i was accepting big time,Seems like it's just another bug fix update with some improved features which we get every month :mad:
So, just to be clear, all the improvements to the system, security, new features, AR, file system access, and UI changes were not enough for you, but had they added Dark Mode you would have updated?

Loismustdie1

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2015

iOS 11 dramatically improved multitasking on iPad Pro, enabled drag and drop between apps, expanded the dock capabilities, improved the keyboard, introduced a filing system, native screen record-ing (not shown in the keynote) and the list goes on. This was absolutely the most dramatic overhauls of iOS for iPad since iOS 7. If I have to wait another release for dark mode, I’ll live

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Much more like a computer now.

To be fair, it was always a computer. The problem was that it was limited in multitasking.. with the introduction of SplitView/SlideOver in iOS 9 it was stagnated and couldn’t really edit or switch app you prefer on the left or right.

But now, iOS 11 provides a new way to multitask and it’s well thought out. I had watched that concept video by Viticci and the way Apple implemented multitask is definitely better than how Viticci created.

I believe it’s much more Apple-like, I suppose. Will this new update help replace the PC? Well, if your mind has always been an iPad is purely a consumption device and nothing more then nothing will ever change your mind at this point. Most users who feel that it won’t replace their PC is due to the lack of mouse support and limited peripheral device support.

Me personally, this new update has made it more efficient to multitask and I believe that’s what Apple sought out to do with iOS 11.

Reactions: three

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Will this new update help replace the PC? Well, if your mind has always been an iPad is purely a consumption device and nothing more then nothing will ever change your mind at this point. Most users who feel that it won’t replace their PC is due to the lack of mouse support and limited peripheral device support.

With the new updates to iOS 11 on the iPad, I believe that unless you need the desktop versions of Adobe CC programs, or business class Windows applications, the iPad Pro will be able to fully replace PCs for people. I myself am going to be talking to my in-laws about getting one. They LOVE their iPad Air, and loathe their Windows AIO. This would be perfect for them.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
With the new updates to iOS 11 on the iPad, I believe that unless you need the desktop versions of Adobe CC programs, or business class Windows applications, the iPad Pro will be able to fully replace PCs for people. I myself am going to be talking to my in-laws about getting one. They LOVE their iPad Air, and loathe their Windows AIO. This would be perfect for them.

Well, users on Macrumors will argue against you about the notion that the iPad Pro can fully replace people PCs. It’s been a debate ever since iPad has marketed that the iPad can serve as a replacement PC, yet critics has been fighting this change. Surface users will definitely tell you “no.”

IMO, Apple believes iPads are the future and although they are long away to bridge that gap to help soothe critics thoughts on this iPad can replace a PC mantra... iOS 11 is a step in the right direction.

rodrigo_pereira

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2017
I am not upgrading to iOS 11, i am afraid it will slow down my Old iPhones/iPads [planned obsolescence]

It. Is. Not. A. Planned. Obsolescence. Do you have any idea how much has changed since ios 7? Have you ever heard about XPC? Do you really even care?

Do you care about your data being secure (not only from being accessed by other people, police, etc., but also from one app to another). It is really easy to speed up your devices: remove encryption, remove sandboxing, open up keychain, simplify notification, strip sharing options, remove API's for VOIP integration, and so on.

Have you ever wondered why apps like Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, LightRoom, 3D games are fluid on 4 years old ipad mini 2 but facebook and twitter can stutter even on iphone 7? No? So please - do think about it, and don’t post another bs about „planned obsolescence” until you find out.

and there is nothing promising in iOS 11,No MAJOR OVERHAUL
We understand that you only care about eye-candy. But I think that your facebook wall is more appropriate place for unloading your disappointment.

This post is about „Thoughts on iOS 11 with the iPad” - not for mindless repeating where-is-darkmode-drama.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
IOS 11 is definitely a step in the right direction. I'm really glad to see that the social networking stuff is now disintegrated for more security and privacy. The multitasking and new dock are a really welcome change since the split window UX on iOS 10 was really bad. Drag and drop is also a great addition but I'm worried that these changes are only going to be enstated to native Apple apps with no support from 3rd party developers. It's not Apple that I'm worried about, it's all the 3rd party developers I'm worried about invading our privacy and not coding in the multitasking support. Anyone know if certain notification sounds can be changed (non-hacky please)? Hopefully iOS 11 is not going to be crazy buggy for public release in the fall.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Drag and drop is also a great addition but I'm worried that these changes are only going to be enstated to native Apple apps with no support from 3rd party developers. It's not Apple that I'm worried about, it's all the 3rd party developers I'm worried about invading our privacy and not coding in the multitasking support.

No support from 3rd party developers?? Not sure why would you think that.

Even Readdle apps have drag and drop support. And now that’s it’s system wide... Readdle can now support more apps and not just their apps. So, you shouldn’t be worried if their would be developers supporting drag and drop, when iOS 11 officially drops we will see plenty of developers release apps supporting this drag and drop feature.

Reactions: StoneJack

austriak5

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2015
I think the new dock is nice and drag and drop may be better but it really isn't that much different than sliding from the right side. I'm not sure why people started thinking this makes it a true laptop replacement. The only true difference is that the two apps you previously had open can be open back up together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.