Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
EDIT: The phone has been announced! Ignore my speculation in this first post.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/16/samsung-will-unveil-the-next-galaxy-phone-may-3rd-in-london/

It's coming soon... What are your thoughts on the Galaxy S III? As an iPhone user, Android user, or something else, how do you feel about it?

This is not a troll thread, and it's sad that I have to say that. We can have an intelligent conversation about a competing platform.

This could be the big kahuna for Android phones. Last year Samsung released the GS2, which was a huge upgrade. Hopefully the GS3 is too.

One problem that has plagued Android phones is bad battery life, but according to Samsung, they're going to fix that this year. It'd be great to see a large battery or more efficient internals.
http://ces.cnet.com/8301-33363_1-57...sung-promises-all-day-battery-life-on-phones/

It's pretty much expected that the screen will have be large and have a high resolution, like the Galaxy Nexus they released awhile ago.

Also, there's thoughts that it will use liquid metal. Just look at the teaser-picture in the first link. Interesting, right? There are 3 large drops of liquid, and the 2 blue ones have a metal finish of some sort. The possibility of liquid metal in Samsung's next flagship phone was also mentioned in a article MacRumors posted yesterday. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1360060/
If this became reality, it'd be hard to deny how neat it would be.

I currently use an iPhone (I used to own Android phones), but the GS3 would make me want to switch back.

Here's how I see it (for ME. MY uses):
-huge screen, displaying more content (I dislike the small iPhone display)
-faster (yes, faster. With animations turned off on Android, it's awesome)
-better YouTube app
-Google Maps and Google Places apps
-better handling of notification (Apple STILL got notifications wrong, in my opinion)
-Flash, when needed
-you can set your browser agent to desktop. No more annoying mobile sites
-really fast 4G, if I'm in the right area

I would love those features. There are a good amount of things that annoy me on the iPhone. But that's just me. Some of you may not touch Android with 10-foot pole. If you're one of those people, I'd be interested to hear what about the GS3/Android still wouldn't be good enough to make you think about switching.

Last edited:

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
The problem with Android is its poorly optimized, untimely updates (most don't even get updates) and in case of Samsung cheap build quality. I'd take HTC One X over Galaxy S3.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
The problem with Android is its poorly optimized, untimely updates (most don't even get updates) and in case of Samsung cheap build quality. I'd take HTC One X over Galaxy S3.

How do you define poorly optimized? A lot of Android phones are laggy, if that's what you mean. But Samsung's latest stuff seems pretty smooth.

Yeah, updates suck. They seem worst in the U.S.

How does the build quality effect you? (I figure you're talking about materials, sturdiness, ect.) Do you not put cases on your phones? It's arguable that Samsung phones are built better than the iPhone. Kinda depends on what you're looking for.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
How do you define poorly optimized? A lot of Android phones are laggy, if that's what you mean. But Samsung's latest stuff seems pretty smooth.

Yeah, updates suck. They seem worst in the U.S.

How does the build quality effect you? (I figure you're talking about materials, sturdiness, ect.) Do you not put cases on your phones? It's arguable that Samsung phones are built better than the iPhone. Kinda depends on what you're looking for.

Android has to support many hardware. That plus buggy UI layer (Touchwiz, Sense, etc) that manufacturers put makes Android laggy. The web browser for instance is nowhere as smooth as iPhone. Regarding build quality, I don't like plastic it feels cheap. Lumia, iPhone, HTC phones have much better build quality.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
The main problem for me is that Android is just such a tasteless OS.

It simpy doesnt have the elegance and class feel to it like iOS.

wgonzvega

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2012
It seems that its going to be a great device. The OS is what I think needs more work, my wife have an company Android phone and for my its laggy and the OS is not as polished as the iPhone. All I can tell you is go to a store and play with the phone when is available is the only way to know for you and anyone else. The other day I play with the Note, great device I was blown away by the hand recognition and that screen but after a while I discover that going around with that thing it was not for me. I will stay on iPhone and see whats next.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
The main problem for me is that Android is just such a tasteless OS.

It simpy doesnt have the elegance and class feel to it like iOS.

Just use an iOS launcher on the S3. :)

EspierLauncheriOSCloneForAndroid.jpg

Most people dont like it because like iOS it's like starring at your app draw in android all day.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/16/samsung-will-unveil-the-next-galaxy-phone-may-3rd-in-london/

It's coming soon... What are your thoughts on the Galaxy S III? As an iPhone user, Android user, or something else, how do you feel about it?

This is not a troll thread, and it's sad that I have to say that. We can have an intelligent conversation about a competing platform.

This could be the big kahuna for Android phones. Last year Samsung released the GS2, which was a huge upgrade. Hopefully the GS3 is too.

One problem that has plagued Android phones is bad battery life, but according to Samsung, they're going to fix that this year. It'd be great to see a large battery or more efficient internals.
http://ces.cnet.com/8301-33363_1-57...sung-promises-all-day-battery-life-on-phones/

It's pretty much expected that the screen will have be large and have a high resolution, like the Galaxy Nexus they released awhile ago.

Also, there's thoughts that it will use liquid metal. Just look at the teaser-picture in the first link. Interesting, right? There are 3 large drops of liquid, and the 2 blue ones have a metal finish of some sort. The possibility of liquid metal in Samsung's next flagship phone was also mentioned in a article MacRumors posted yesterday. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1360060/
If this became reality, it'd be hard to deny how neat it would be.

I currently use an iPhone (I used to own Android phones), but the GS3 would make me want to switch back.

Here's how I see it (for ME. MY uses):
-huge screen, displaying more content (I dislike the small iPhone display)
-faster (yes, faster. With animations turned off on Android, it's awesome)
-better YouTube app
-Google Maps and Google Places apps
-better handling of notification (Apple STILL got notifications wrong, in my opinion)
-Flash, when needed
-you can set your browser agent to desktop. No more annoying mobile sites
-really fast 4G, if I'm in the right area

I would love those features. There are a good amount of things that annoy me on the iPhone. But that's just me. Some of you may not touch Android with 10-foot pole. If you're one of those people, I'd be interested to hear what about the GS3/Android still wouldn't be good enough to make you think about switching.

Well I think the SII is an excellent phone so I can only hope that the SIII will be better, although I did purchase the Galaxy Nexus (which came out after the SII) and returned it shortly due to a pretty poor experience. I didn't like the hardware of either the SII or Galaxy Nexus, the cheap plastic, etc.

Sadly it's mostly the software that breaks the deal for me. I don't mind Android but I just prefer the quality of iOS (and lack of malware from applications), and I'm not a fan of Samsung skinning the OS, either. If has a larger screen than the SII then no thanks, the SII is big enough as it is, for me. In fact, the iPhone is fine for me in that respect. Also, the SII is near enough in price to the iPhone and the icing on the cake is that when something goes wrong with my iPhone I know I'm in good hands, but when my friend's Galaxy Nexus broke days after the cooling off period he had a nightmare getting Samsung and Carphone Warehouse to diagnose the issue and actually fix it.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I will be watching for the SGIII. People here do not appreciate having more freedom to do as you wish. I love Android as it is a much more "open" system than iOS. My SGII never had any battery problems and I would not expect the SGIII to have either.

Bring it on Samsung!

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
The main reason I still use an iPhone is because of the integrated platform. Android is still extremely fragmented and updates scarce. There's also the lack of security due to the marketplace being completely open. Hardware-wise, Samsung does a great job. It has high-spec quality components but poorly optimized software to make full use of it and a horrible UI layer. I don't know about the rumored ceramic shell and Samsung's build quality is kind of lacking compared to HTC or Motorola. The GSIII will no doubt perform well in benchmarks but as for real-world performance, I don't see it as anything special. Their design is highly generic and boring.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Their design is highly generic and boring.

Kind of like the iphone. Not saying the Galaxy 3 will be the phone of all phones. I am not a big Samsung fan, but we will see what they deliver. Just like apple with the iPhone 5. Right now, both companies seem to be in a slow motion race to nowhere because of their constant bickering with each other. Let's hope they can find at least a truce in the upcoming meeting with both CEO's and move forward to bigger and better things.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Kind of like the iphone. Not saying the Galaxy 3 will be the phone of all phones. I am not a big Samsung fan, but we will see what they deliver. Just like apple with the iPhone 5. Right now, both companies seem to be in a slow motion race to nowhere because of their constant bickering with each other. Let's hope they can find at least a truce in the upcoming meeting with both CEO's and move forward to bigger and better things.

I have not seen any phone that looks similar to the iPhone other than knockoffs and the like. But given a Samsung phone, I cannot point out any special design features that set it apart. Motorola's Droid RAZR and HTC phones have special design features that set them apart.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
How can I give my thoughts on the Galaxy SIII when nobody has even seen it yet?

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Android has to support many hardware. That plus buggy UI layer (Touchwiz, Sense, etc) that manufacturers put makes Android laggy. The web browser for instance is nowhere as smooth as iPhone. Regarding build quality, I don't like plastic it feels cheap. Lumia, iPhone, HTC phones have much better build quality.

Let me guess you didnt have the 3g/3gs? From what i remember they were plastic!

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Let me guess you didnt have the 3g/3gs? From what i remember they were plastic!

That was years ago. Remember the Android phones back then? Not only was build quality far worse than iPhones back then but software was horrendous. Comparing today's stuff to two years ago is unfair yet the 3G/3GS build quality is still good in today's standards.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
I don't know how samsung do it, but their android phones seem to operate so much more smoothly than all the others

the SGS2 is totally lag free

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
I will be watching for the SGIII. People here do not appreciate having more freedom to do as you wish. I love Android as it is a much more "open" system than iOS. My SGII never had any battery problems and I would not expect the SGIII to have either.

Bring it on Samsung!

How many phones running Android constitute "freedom"? 200? 300? But someone who doesn't like Android doesn't like freedom? You mean the freedom to actually update your phone's OS?

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
London
I want one.

Had a SGS2 before I got my 4S and thought it was a good phone. Only thing I really didn't like about it was the plastic which felt cheap. Android on the other hand was no where near bad as I've heard people here make out but I can't say i'm a fan of it either.

Anyway if this phone is released with the rumoured specs, nice design, reasonable size and material then I'll probably get it. Personally i've had enough of iPhones and want to move to Windows Phone but waiting for WP8 devices might take a while so I may just settle with the SGS3.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
Zero details about the SIII have leaked and you're already assuming its build quality?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
How many phones running Android constitute "freedom"? 200? 300? But someone who doesn't like Android doesn't like freedom? You mean the freedom to actually update your phone's OS?

I think by freedom he meant the way the OS operates.

Like the freedom to :

Download any file(s) and apps from the web. Change the keyboard to something you prefer. USB hosting. Apps can run in the background so you multitask a bit better. Browse flash based web pages (not a fan of flash but still plenty out there). Etc etc

Not the sheer number of phones lol

Bainsyuk

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2012
Zero details about the SIII have leaked and you're already assuming its build quality?

Because that's all people can do. If build quality has always felt poor to some people why assume it would be better this time? :)

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Samsung aka Samesung SUCKS

Well said.

Furthermore I don't by knock off's of any product. How Samesung copied Apple's accessories, packaging, etc is pathetic, so no Samesung retail products for me.

Korean designed electronics never interest me, too often they're low quality knock off's of existing good tech, whether it's cars, TV's, washers, dryers or computers.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
My thought is that it will be obsolete in a month when the next Android device comes out... I know technology moves fast but the way they churn out these android phones is just absurd..... You buy an Android and a week or 2 later the new latest and greatest one is introduced. That would drive me bananas.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I think by freedom he meant the way the OS operates.

Like the freedom to :

Download any file(s) and apps from the web. Change the keyboard to something you prefer. USB hosting. Apps can run in the background so you multitask a bit better. Browse flash based web pages (not a fan of flash but still plenty out there). Etc etc

Not the sheer number of phones lol
Don't people have the freedom to do that? No one is having a gun put to their head saying they must buy Apple. As some who consciously makes a decision to purchase iOS devices it's annoying to constantly be looked upon as a lemming or stooge by non-iOS users as if everyone who owns an iPhone is a mind numbed robot blindly buying anything Apple puts out.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Don't people have the freedom to do that? No one is having a gun put to their head saying they must buy Apple. As some who consciously makes a decision to purchase iOS devices it's annoying to constantly be looked upon as a lemming or stooge by non-iOS users as if everyone who owns an iPhone is a mind numbed robot blindly buying anything Apple puts out.

Huh? I was clarifying what someone was saying nothing more.

I have a 4S. I like it for my purposes but can see why someone would say there is a bit more freedom to do certain things with android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.