Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac.rumors

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2008
London, UK
Safari in macOS High Sierra still doesn't play the newer Youtube 4K videos. The available resolutions max out at 1440P. I was really hoping for this to have been resolved with H.265 / HEVC tech in the new OS.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Decoding on the graphics card is needed for proper playback with TB1 eGPU.

Crisis

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
It's basically the results of both Google pushing their royalty free codec VP9, and Apple not allowing access to hardware capabilities. Either Google needs to start encoding their videos in HEVC, so we can view 4K/8K videos with hardware acceleration comes with 10.13, or Apple needs to open up the hardware VP9 capabilities, which is available since Kaby Lake intel processors or AMD RX 4xx GPU: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP9#Hardware_implementations

Seriously, macOS is the worst platform for media consumption. Hardware accelerated HEVC/VP9 has been working on Linux/Windows for ages. (Thankfully we got one of them for 10.13.) On a mac, the hardware that supports VP9 is just there and no one can use it. Also, in 10.13 betas, the HEVC support seems only using the CPU. 2016 MacBook Pro has Skylake CPU that supports 8bit HEVC but not 10bit. Its GPU, however, supports both, but Apple refuses to utilize the GPU, and 2016 MacBook Pro owners are ****ed when they try to playback 10bit contents. Apple are literally forcing them to install Windows on their machine because they can play 10bit videos there.

I completely don't understand Apple's strategy about VP9. The only possible thing I can think of is they are worried about Chrome gaining more market share than Safari if they expose hardware VP9 capability. But are they seriously trading more potential Mac sales for the market share of a browser? Jesus, Apple.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Crisis wrote:
"Seriously, macOS is the worst platform for media consumption"

Ironic, since it was the Mac that led the way into "graphical computing" and dominated the creative content market for so long.

"I completely don't understand Apple's strategy about VP9"

I'll -guess- that Apple wants to limit owners' choice, to coax or force them towards Apple's own video content business.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Zenithal wrote:
"Safari doesn't support VP9. Most people prefer using Safari over Chrome or Firefox."

I, too prefer Safari, but will use other browsers when necessary.
However, I avoid Chrome.

That said, do any other browsers (Firefox, Opera, Vivaldi, Brave, Waterfox) support VP9 when viewing YouTube videos @ 4k?

OGPrince

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2016
Florida, USA
Zenithal wrote:
"Safari doesn't support VP9. Most people prefer using Safari over Chrome or Firefox."

I, too prefer Safari, but will use other browsers when necessary.
However, I avoid Chrome.

That said, do any other browsers (Firefox, Opera, Vivaldi, Brave, Waterfox) support VP9 when viewing YouTube videos @ 4k?
Firefox does not

OGPrince

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2016
Florida, USA
I've definitely seen 2160p working on my 2015 MBP under Safari. I don't have the option for it on my desktop but it's only using a 1680x1050 display so that's probably part of it.
I have the same laptop but I always get 1440p as max, and what do you mean by it's only using a 1680x1050 display?

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I just loaded a video in 2160p on Safari Technology Preview on my 2016 MBP.

EDIT: Not every video works. Not sure what's the deal.

Crisis

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
I've definitely seen 2160p working on my 2015 MBP under Safari. I don't have the option for it on my desktop but it's only using a 1680x1050 display so that's probably part of it.
I just loaded a video in 2160p on Safari Technology Preview on my 2016 MBP.

EDIT: Not every video works. Not sure what's the deal.
Youtube used to encode 4k resolutions in h264, which is supported by Safari, so some videos have it. They don't do it anymore.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Youtube used to encode 4k resolutions in h264, which is supported by Safari, so some videos have it. They don't do it anymore.
That would explain it! It's been a while since I've used the MBP as my main machine so I didn't realise that it didn't happen anymore.

Pretty cheeky to drop a feature; that's "cloud" for you!

I have the same laptop but I always get 1440p as max, and what do you mean by it's only using a 1680x1050 display?
Two different computers. The display plugged into my desktop is 1680x1050.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.