Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SW3029

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2019
I see the YouTube Apple TV app now launches a built-in screensaver when the app is open but idle. This prevents the beautiful Apple TV screensavers from launching.

It's super annoying. And so far I've found no way to disable the YouTube screensaver without now having to manually close the app every time it's idle.

Has anyone found a way to disable the YouTube screensaver?

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
One press of the home button and (probably) two back button presses gets you to the Apple screensaver. I’d rather have a YT screensaver than nothing.

If using the free YT app, I doubt they’ll give an option to turn it off. However, if the viewer is paying, there should be a choice.

kevinp8192

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
It’s really annoying. I guess they want you to stay in the app longer. And you’re right, there’s no way to change it in YouTube, which is crazy. The only way around I’ve found is to set my ATV screen saver to start at 2 minutes, so it precludes the YouTube one and comes on first. I did try 5 minutes, but since the YouTube one comes on at just 3-4 minutes, 2 minutes is your only option.

I previously had my screen saver at 10 minutes. But after changing it to 2 a few days ago, it’s not been a big deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.