Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I have an iPad 3rd Generation running on iOS 9.3.5

Runs great except when I wanna play a video in the YouTube app, a notification comes onto the middle of the screen saying to Update the App.

I then open the App Store but it says im up to date overall with all my apps, including the YouTube app.

In Settings I go to see if I need to update my iOS but nope, am running the latest (9.3.5) that this iPad 3rd Generation allows.

Howard Ellacott

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2012
United Kingdom
The current version of YouTube requires iOS 11. Your iPad will show it is up to date, because you have the latest version available for iOS 9, but it isn't the latest version of the YouTube app itself.

Reactions: martyjmclean

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
The current version of YouTube requires iOS 11. Your iPad will show it is up to date, because you have the latest version available for iOS 9, but it isn't the latest version of the YouTube app itself.

any time I receive a YouTube link in iMessage and try to open it, the YouTube app asks me to update the YouTube app, so I’ll click into the app store and go to YouTube but YouTube says it’s up to date. So what you mentioned makes perfect sense.

can anything be done however in regards to not wanting to see that update YouTube notification anytime I click on a YouTube link from iMessage?

or is this their way of getting you to upgrade to a still supported iPad?

Howard Ellacott

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2012
United Kingdom
I expect from YouTube's perspective, at some point the old app won't work and that's why they want to update. There wouldn't be a way to install the newer app as it uses features from iOS 11. You would have to buy an iPad that works with iOS 11, as there's no way to install a newer version on the unsupported device.

Have you tried just using YouTube in Safari?

Bill Butts

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2020
Ipad 3/IOS 9.3.6 (last compatible):
Working my way down the App Store search results for "Firefox" found Firefox, Chrome amd Edge all require at leat IOS 10.
HOWEVER, Private Browsing Web Browser by SavySoda IS compatible. Going to youtube.com, it redirects to m.youtube.com, where was able to sign into my Gmail account and play videos.

Last edited:

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I forgot the mention that I ended up restoring the iPad and this fixed the issue. Now the YouTube app works normally.

problem though is FaceTime no longer works at all for some reason.

M300

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2021
Hi,
I have this issue too the message just started popping up recently I have iOS 9.3.5
I was wondering how did you fixed the problem
And what did you meant when you said that you resorted the iPad?!
Thanks.

M300

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2021
Hi,
I have this issue too the message just started popping up recently I have iOS 9.3.5
Thanks.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Hi,
Thanks.
Okay so what I did to get this working was:

I downloaded all the apps I want on my 9.3.5 iPad but first I downloaded/purchased them on my iPhone running 14.2

I read somewhere that Apple believes that once you bug an app you should own it forever no matter what. So once you purchase it on a newer device, the Apple servers recognize it and allows you to download the latest version available on all devices including my iPad running 9.3.5.

So it all works now. Just go to the iPad on 9.3.5 and download the apps you want. It’s simple once you know how to do it.

M300

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2021
Okay so what I did to get this working was:

I downloaded all the apps I want on my 9.3.5 iPad but first I downloaded/purchased them on my iPhone running 14.2

I read somewhere that Apple believes that once you bug an app you should own it forever no matter what. So once you purchase it on a newer device, the Apple servers recognize it and allows you to download the latest version available on all devices including my iPad running 9.3.5.

So it all works now. Just go to the iPad on 9.3.5 and download the apps you want. It’s simple once you know how to do it.
Thank you for replying.
I actually already have an older version of youtube I did deleted it and then downloaded it again with the "download older version of this app" option but it's still gives me that annoying message to update.
Could it be because I didn't updated my iPad to iOS 9.3.6?

Reactions: vanzantapple

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Thank you for replying.
I actually already have an older version of youtube I did deleted it and then downloaded it again with the "download older version of this app" option but it's still gives me that annoying message to update.
Could it be because I didn't updated my iPad to iOS 9.3.6?
If it supports it then definitely upgrade to the latest version that could be in the issue

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Start from the beginning. Restore to factory. Download each app individually but only after making sure you’re downloading them on
So I tried to update my ipad 3 but it says update failed so do you know what I should do?
a newer device.

M300

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2021
Start from the beginning. Restore to factory. Download each app individually but only after making sure you’re downloading them on

a newer device.
Hi thank you for helping me with this,
I finally managed to update to iOS 9.3.6 with iTunes but after all of that youtube still ask for update at this point I really think they doing this on purpose.
I don't have another apple device (you can see why) only my iPad 3
Is there any way to fix this?

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I finally managed to update to iOS 9.3.6 with iTunes but after all of that youtube still ask for update at this point I really think they doing this on purpose.
No you need at least one other device

Jocam

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2021
Yes, you can use a PC with this iTunes version, no longer updated by Apple but with the ability to access and purchase/get apps from the AppStore:

If you already have iTunes installed, uninstall it before.

After the installation of the "special" iTunes is completed, run it and if it complains about reading "iTunes Library.itl", just rename this file located in your Music/iTunes folder and run it again.

Then access the "Music" drop down menu, select "Edit menu...", enable the "Apps" option and click "OK".

Then select "Apps" in the drop down menu and the "AppStore" tab.

Here you can purchase/get the apps you need. They will be also downloaded to the PC but you can delete them if you want. The apps you purchase/get this way will be available in the Purchase section of any iOS device linked to your account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.