Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xde

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2016
Hello all,
is there still a Youtube app available, which works with 10.9.5 ?
Such as "Clicker for Youtube" or "Minitube".
Special functions like uploads etc is unnecessary
Usually, all apps are made for newer systems, but maybe any older version is recommended.

The Safari version history and the dependency to specific systems for me is a nightmare.
But it seems that this form of development all around is our future.

thanks and happy last days of the year

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
You could try the Snow Leopard build of TenFiveTube. It should work just fine on 10.9.
Download here
Right clicking on any "white space" will bring up a back/forward/reload dialog box.

Xde

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2016
Hello Wicknix,
first of all, it works on 10.9.5. and I like it.
It seems a lightwight approach usially for the older machines.
And it handles with user agents.
In Safari it is terrible to change user agents.
Also if a new Custom item is set in preferences, the UI seems to be in cache, and one time change to another will
change everything. I tried to lock the pref, but a UA that works with Youtube is not well for other sites.

For my like, ther are some things that could be improved. Y assume that 360p is the setup for older machines with less cpu and a window size setup, that could be nice to have in a preference, things like this.
For the moment it helps me very well.
I did some search for the TenFiveTube and 4 and 6..
What about TenSixTube ?
Do you have a site where one can look for the latest version?
The other thread in MacRumors is a little confusing.
And how is this app actually working?
Thanks for your work and the hint and a good new year...
Xde

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Glad it works for you. Basically it's a webkit wrapper that "fakes" it's identity as an iPhone. Because of this you get the light weight mobile site, and that's also why 360p is the default setting. Most videos only offer 360p and 720p for mobile phones/tablets lately. The version i linked to you is the latest 10.6 version. I haven't updated it regularly like the powerpc 10.5 version as Intel machines have more cpu horsepower and more updated webkit engines. 10.6 and above also have more web browser options than 10.5 that can play youtube just fine.

You could also try Arctic Fox web browser. By default it has a user agent override for youtube to display the mobile version of youtube (like tenfivetube does) without changing it globally, so it doesn't affect other websites. You can find that here.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.